Singapore Expats

VPN Recommendation

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
bgd
Manager
Manager

Re: VPN Recommendation

Post by bgd » Tue, 24 Oct 2017 11:04 am

I use Torguard. Works for me and did get good ratings when I was looking a couple of years back. But review the rating sites, these things are fluid.

I haven't tried it with Netflix but I understand they block most VPN servers.

chowster235

Post by chowster235 » Tue, 13 Feb 2018 6:39 pm

Turbo VPN and Super VPN are good VPNs that are free to use! You can download them via the App Store or Google Play, depending on what phone you are using

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Mon, 09 Apr 2018 10:44 am

paid one: NordVPN pretty excellent if you ask me.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

TWeeZY

Post by TWeeZY » Thu, 13 Sep 2018 5:04 pm

I downloaded a few apps so when one doesnt work, I will switch to the other

Mikeaustin

Post by Mikeaustin » Thu, 27 Sep 2018 7:17 pm

I have used tunnel bear,Torguard and Purevpn. The Tunnel bear and purevpn works good here in singapore speacially purevpn because it does have a wide range of servers which make easier to access netflix as compare to Torguard which servers are blocked by netflix, and tunnel bear is my favourite when it comes to gaming and also its free. You can get more details about both of them and their features for singapore user from there websites.

https://www.tunnelbear.com/
https://www.purevpn.com/singapore-vpn-service.php

lopis

Post by lopis » Tue, 16 Oct 2018 10:13 pm

I use Opera VPN, it's good enough for Internet surfing!

JoelN

Post by JoelN » Wed, 17 Oct 2018 4:09 pm

I've been using Surfshark for a few months now. I wanted to try a new provider and these guys offer split tunneling and unlimited device support, something I haven't seen other VPNs do. They're growing now so there's a discount from time to time, would suggest just googling them up and see if you like it.

londonsg

Post by londonsg » Thu, 10 Jan 2019 6:31 pm

AirVPN - https://airvpn.org/ ... Been using it for about 5 years.

Free ones I wouldnt touch if you value your privacy/security (also usually very slow).

I have tried others, NordVPN I found to be awful (even though they are now quite big). Their software often leaks your IP and they dont have a proper network lock facility in their software when your connection is interrupted which is really amatuer.

londonsg

Post by londonsg » Fri, 11 Jan 2019 9:11 am

unclaimedtrill wrote:How is AirVPN? Since you're using it for five years I guess you're satisfied? Speeds, leaks, bypassing geo restrictions all good? Haven't tried them but I can see why looks very expensive :D

For cheaper alternatives here's a review on Surfshark https://www.comparitech.com/vpn/reviews ... rk-review/

but the discount there is not accurate, use "greatshark" coupon if you want to get 83%. Still, they're not even a year old, going for AirVPN if you have the money might be worth it. Thanks for the info too
Yeah I'm satisfied with them. Used it in UK, Malaysia, SG and lots of other countries in Europe and had no problem. I even used it from my iPhone using the OpenVPN app.

IMO if you skimp on the cost of VPN you are probably getting something that is quite poor in other ways, like you said: speed, leaking, them saving logs on activity etc. If you are paying nothing or very little then the company must be making up money in other ways, which kinda defeats the point of the VPN in the first place :D

Just as a side, if you are more security conscious I'd also recommend ProtonMail (Email) and Tresorit (Cloud file storage). Both have free very basic accounts but I now pay for.

I've been working in IT for a long time but I don't work for any of these companies :)

Hope this helps.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 15 Jan 2019 9:13 pm

Are you sure you didn't misspell your nick when you registered? 7 posts and 4 of them extolling the virtures of Surfshark with just enough verbal diarrhoea to try to throw a smoke screen up to the average surfer to disguise what you are doing.

I'm watching, unclaimedtroll.....

SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 15 Jan 2019 10:22 pm

The shark doth reeketh like 3 day old fish.

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Wed, 11 Nov 2020 12:17 am

There are so many VPN providers out there. I’ve heard lots good things about HideMyAss, but I’ve been using StrongVPN for years, even bought their preconfigured VPN router (connected to my main router) so I can use that additional wireless point with all my devices. I also use their app on my phone when I’m not at home, it’s pretty slick and connects instantly. Their customer service is super responsive and helpful.

Their promo rate ends up being about US$3/mo (cheapest plan). It works with Netflix most of the time, and if it doesn’t, just give it a little while, they change IP addresses frequently in case any get blocked. Pro tip: use a credit card that is expiring within 12 months so they can’t automatically charge you at the non-promo rate after 12 months.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

thealex

Post by thealex » Sat, 03 Apr 2021 8:30 pm

Hi Guys,

I am looking to get a VPN so I can visit sites that don’t allow me to from the UK.

I am looking for a decent priced VPN however, I tried one and it worked for a couple of days but then it started to get slow so I discontinued my subscription with them.

I apologize if links like this are not allowed, feel free to remove it if that’s the case!

Out of the above providers, which one would you advise?

Look forward to your replies and I am new to this forum so HEY!

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Sun, 04 Apr 2021 12:32 am

thealex wrote:
Sat, 03 Apr 2021 8:30 pm
Hi Guys,

I am looking to get a VPN so I can visit sites that don’t allow me to from the UK.

I am looking for a decent priced VPN however, I tried one and it worked for a couple of days but then it started to get slow so I discontinued my subscription with them.

I apologize if links like this are not allowed, feel free to remove it if that’s the case!

Out of the above providers, which one would you advise?

Look forward to your replies and I am new to this forum so HEY!
Do tell! Why are you posting from a Pakistan IP address to a Singapore expats board, asking about VPN services, and, making a plug for some company?

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 04 Apr 2021 7:45 am

JoelN wrote:
Wed, 17 Oct 2018 4:09 pm
I've been using Surfshark for a few months now. I wanted to try a new provider and these guys offer split tunneling and unlimited device support, something I haven't seen other VPNs do. They're growing now so there's a discount from time to time, would suggest just googling them up and see if you like it.
I use it to (my sons account to be specific) and it works well.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!