Singapore Expats

What's the biggest social.......?

Events and gatherings for the 40's Club
bold_brave_spirit

What's the biggest social.......?

Post by bold_brave_spirit » Fri, 20 Oct 2017 10:46 pm

I'm a 45 yo male moving to Singapore in late November 2017 with my husband - we're both from Canada and looking to meet other expats.

What's the biggest social in Singapore outside a pub or bar that we can go to to connect with other folks in Singapore? Is there a favorite or popular local meetup that happens regularly? I'm not against against a pub or bar but certainly looking for something more conducive since I don't drink. :)

We've been to Singapore many times before and have I've actually lived there when I was a teen but our connections there are now limited and we're looking to reconnect. We're also new fish in a bowl and would love to understand how this unique city operates from those in the know.

Look forward to connecting!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: What's the biggest social.......?

Post by ecureilx » Sat, 21 Oct 2017 11:18 pm

bold_brave_spirit wrote:I'm a 45 yo male moving to Singapore in late November 2017 with my husband - we're both from Canada and looking to meet other expats.

What's the biggest social in Singapore outside a pub or bar that we can go to to connect with other folks in Singapore? Is there a favorite or popular local meetup that happens regularly? I'm not against against a pub or bar but certainly looking for something more conducive since I don't drink. :)

We've been to Singapore many times before and have I've actually lived there when I was a teen but our connections there are now limited and we're looking to reconnect. We're also new fish in a bowl and would love to understand how this unique city operates from those in the know.

Look forward to connecting!
There are lots of events

But if you want an event to meet folks, tofu that will be

Try volunteering

To make some new connections

Tigerlily_Orchid

Post by Tigerlily_Orchid » Mon, 30 Oct 2017 3:44 pm

Hi,

Meetup.com has a lot of meet ups. Seems like a new group sprouts every time. You do get the diversity of meeting both local and expats. There's also Internations.org. Have joined that but haven't attended any of the social events.

Some people congregate around their home country groups, for example, I belong to ANZA (Australia New Zealand Association) but have joined a volunteer group to widen my circle. You may want to check out if Canada or North America has its own expat group. I think the American Association of Singapore is one of the biggest but there's a fee of $25k per year to join.

londonsg

Post by londonsg » Tue, 02 Apr 2019 6:10 pm

Tigerlily_Orchid wrote:I think the American Association of Singapore is one of the biggest but there's a fee of $25k per year to join.
$25k! WTF! lol

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 02 Apr 2019 8:28 pm

Church.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!