Singapore Expats

Rates of pay for pharmacists + other questions

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

Rates of pay for pharmacists + other questions

Post by Guest » Tue, 15 Feb 2005 3:53 pm

What would be considered the normal rates for pharmacists these days in Singapore?

- for retail pharmacy
- for hospital pharmacy
- for research

Is there a large demand for those qualified overseas?

I've seen the pharmacy board website and they require applicants finding work FIRST before being given approval for pre-registration. How would a person, say from Australia, go about finding an employer who is willing to let them train for 3 months to 12 months (as stipulated by the board).

How do local singaporeans go about finding pre-registration training - is it automatically allocated, or do locals need to search for themselves?

Do employers typically expect you to stay after you register, eg one year contract, or are you allowed to leave for another job after you secure your registration. If you're expected to stay with the employer after registering - what is the typical duration?

Do pre-registrants get paid anything. If yes, what would be the rate.

Post by Guest » Sun, 20 Feb 2005 3:43 am

hmmm... no replies. Well if anyone does know, I'm interested in particular the pre-registration questions I asked.

Post by Guest » Sat, 16 Apr 2005 8:08 pm

You would have to find your own pre-registration training jobs from the list of approved training instituitions. You can check out this website for the list. http://www.spb.gov.sg/html/listof_approve.html

If you are already a registered pharmacist in your home country, the pre-reg duration is much shorter, usually 3 months for US, UK or Australian-trained pharmacists

There would usually be a one year bond but this depends on the instituition you signed on with.

Pre-reg pay is usually pathetic, usually in the range of ~S$2,000 per month.

Post by Guest » Sat, 16 Apr 2005 10:09 pm

Anonymous wrote:You would have to find your own pre-registration training jobs from the list of approved training instituitions. You can check out this website for the list. http://www.spb.gov.sg/html/listof_approve.html

If you are already a registered pharmacist in your home country, the pre-reg duration is much shorter, usually 3 months for US, UK or Australian-trained pharmacists

There would usually be a one year bond but this depends on the instituition you signed on with.

Pre-reg pay is usually pathetic, usually in the range of ~S$2,000 per month.
Thanks for the reply. The pre-reg pay is 2000? I'm almost certain someone mentioned in one post that the pay for qualified/registered pharmacists wasn't much higher that that figure in singapore.

If you don't mind me asking, what does the average pharmacist with a Bachelor of Pharmacy get these days (no honours, no masters, no phD)...? Thanks in advance.

Post by Guest » Mon, 18 Apr 2005 7:57 pm

Before I left retail pharmacy about 7 yrs ago, was drawing about $3,000 (basic pay) per month. This was before overtime pay and other allowances. Was only there for 1.5 yrs after my pre-reg. But I do have honours.

Post by Guest » Wed, 20 Apr 2005 11:11 pm

Anonymous wrote:Before I left retail pharmacy about 7 yrs ago, was drawing about $3,000 (basic pay) per month. This was before overtime pay and other allowances. Was only there for 1.5 yrs after my pre-reg. But I do have honours.
Thanks for that- So your advice to a newly registered pharmacist with 3 years of experience from overseas- Is $3000 what I should be asking for? Are wage negotiations acceptable in this profession or does it follow an award system? How will I know what is a good offer? Also, what allowances are usually given to expats , for example by award, pharmacists in australia are entitled to laundry allowance, meal allowance.

Aside from that, I've even had all my travel expenses covered when working in rural areas, as well as accommodation. The shortage of pharmacists at the time left a lot of businesses desperate.

Post by Guest » Sun, 01 May 2005 5:14 pm

Frankly, the community or hospital pharmacists in Australia are much better paid than the ones on Singapore, even after the taxes. So if you are after a higher salary in Singapore, you will not get it. Try speaking to someone from Guardian (SEA) Pte Ltd, the monopoly for retail pharmacies in Singapore to get a better picture of the salary package.

Post by Guest » Sun, 01 May 2005 7:46 pm

Anonymous wrote:Frankly, the community or hospital pharmacists in Australia are much better paid than the ones on Singapore, even after the taxes. So if you are after a higher salary in Singapore, you will not get it. Try speaking to someone from Guardian (SEA) Pte Ltd, the monopoly for retail pharmacies in Singapore to get a better picture of the salary package.
Thanks, it's not that i'm looking for more pay than australia. I've already accepted the fact that the pay situation will be lower in Singapore.

My main aim by that question was to know what's fair according to singapore standards. I usually avoid asking employers what they think is fair, as they usually quote me $5 / hour lower (here in Australia) than what in reality they pay their other employees, so sussing out the situation from working pharmacists gives me a more realistic picture, and lets me be more prepared to know whether I'm about to be taken advantage of.

When you suggested talking with Guardian, are you saying that everyone gets a set package, with no room for negotiations?

Thanks in advance.

Post by Guest » Sun, 08 May 2005 1:33 am

You are about right about the pay package bit, though my own experience many years ago, did indicate that they were willing to pay higher for a reputable foreign pharmacy degree. So, I reckon you could command about 10-15% more than the locals grads with the same amount of working experience.

Jaceksi1

More on pharmacist in Singapore

Post by Jaceksi1 » Sun, 29 May 2005 3:59 am

I might be able to give you a better picture about the situation in Singapore. I have only just accepted an offer to work in a hospital.
If you have a well recognised qualification from overseas, you should have no problem registering with the board. However, the exam is only held twice yearly and you will need to undergo pre-registration training between 3-6 months. Depending on your employer, they might pay you a pharmacist salary even though you are doing your pre-registration training. The starting pay for hospital is $2900 for someone who has no working experience in a hospital setting (I have 3 years exp. in retail and in QA). Hope that helps.
Infact, I am still looking for information myself. By the way, can anyone tell me about the pre-registration exam syllabus and passing rate? Thanks.