Singapore Expats Forum

General Advice

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

exile282

General Advice

Postby exile282 » Mon, 14 Feb 2005 10:02 pm

Okay to set the tone I'm a marketing professional that's curious about what opportunities might be available in Singapore? At present I'm middle management with solid London blue chip experience mainly from a media/technology environment.

I'm keen to find out how easy it would be for me to find employment? What salary I can realistically expect and how easy to gain the ever elusive working visa?

On a different tact I'm having difficulty finding active marketing forums for the area - can anyone recommend one? Also are there any marketing specific trade rags that are worth looking at?

expat

Postby expat » Fri, 18 Feb 2005 9:56 pm

To say the least, you sound like well settled in London, why at all you wanna movin here. Hot weather, coupled with getting EP and sponsorship of EP are the things you may consider well before making any plans.

A blue-chip would be paying you good in UK as compared to here. Anyway since you are in middle-management level, will hope to get a good job here too.

Wanna test this out, attend Career Fair in March 05 here and see for yourself.

exile282

Postby exile282 » Sat, 19 Feb 2005 1:57 am

Weather, appeal of surrounding region (have travelled extensively), family connections etc etc.

Alas not planning to be in Sing until later in the year so the fair isn't really an option - shame because I had picked up on it already.

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Sat, 19 Feb 2005 2:41 am

Last edited by dot dot dot on Mon, 22 May 2006 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

expat

Postby expat » Sat, 19 Feb 2005 10:25 pm

Eric

I think not only the level of skills and knowledge is the question here, but understanding cultural diversities and ability to tackle language bariers are also important factor to realy sale yourself best in APAC market.

Like in marketing 'Product Placement' is a very important and a good product will always have the best position in the supermarket shelf, so is the same with job seekers. They have to get a good placement, for a employer to take a look and say, ah that is what I was looking for.

expat

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Sat, 19 Feb 2005 10:53 pm

Last edited by dot dot dot on Mon, 22 May 2006 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

expat

Postby expat » Sat, 19 Feb 2005 11:06 pm

Eric

I think not only the level of skills and knowledge is the question here, but understanding cultural diversities and ability to tackle language bariers are also important factor to realy sale yourself best in APAC market.

Like in marketing 'Product Placement' is a very important and a good product will always have the best position in the supermarket shelf, so is the same with job seekers. They have to get a good placement, for a employer to take a look and say, ah that is what I was looking for.

expat

exile282

Postby exile282 » Tue, 22 Feb 2005 8:37 pm

Thanks for all of the input. You're quite right that differentiation is going to be key to success.

At the moment I'm trying to gather as much info as possible so that I'm ready for market entry ;)

My blue chip experience has been London based but has involved international marketing inc. MENA zone.