Singapore Expats

Starting a house renovation business/company in Singapore

Discuss your views about Singapore business & economy, current policies & issues, starting a business in Singapore.
Singapurapura

Starting a house renovation business/company in Singapore

Post by Singapurapura » Thu, 12 Oct 2017 4:21 pm

Hello all,

I'm a PR here working with a MNC and my nephew seek help from me to start a minor renovation business in Singapore. He's doing this business in JB albeit it's still small and would like to expand to Singapore. He already did 2 projects in Singapore and have few other potential clients.

I already read few threads about starting a business in Singapore but most of them are about entreepass or a DP holder starting a business here.

I've narrowed down to these options for starting this business and few questions about it:

1) Partnership
2) Limited Partnership
3) Limited Liability Partnership
4) Private Limited Company

My questions are:

a) Is it possible for my nephew to get a work permit or employment pass on option 1), 2) and 3)
b) Is it possible to hire foreign worker on option 1), 2) and 3). If possible what are the requirements?
c) If only possible to hire foreign worker on option 4), what are the requirement in this field?
d) What is the ratio for Singaporeans, PR, EP and work permit holder in a company?

I only can help him to become the local director for the time being but I might get involve full time in the future if the business is growing and sustainable.

I hope somebody can help me to answer these questions or point me to the right direction.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Re: Starting a house renovation business/company in Singapore

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 12 Oct 2017 9:59 pm

What is the nationality of your nephew and does he have any legal status in Singapore?

Singapurapura

Post by Singapurapura » Fri, 13 Oct 2017 9:37 am

He's a Malaysian and he only enter Singapore on a social visit pass. That's why he wanted to get a pass by registering his business here and one of the option is to appoint me as the local director or partner with me.

He would like to get work permit for his staff in Singapore but from what I understand only a company can employ a foreign worker and that's also can't happen overnight. My idea is for him is to hire a contract worker from other company in Singapore and get his staff to train them.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 13 Oct 2017 11:28 am

Singapurapura wrote:He's a Malaysian and he only enter Singapore on a social visit pass. That's why he wanted to get a pass by registering his business here and one of the option is to appoint me as the local director or partner with me.

He would like to get work permit for his staff in Singapore but from what I understand only a company can employ a foreign worker and that's also can't happen overnight. My idea is for him is to hire a contract worker from other company in Singapore and get his staff to train them.
You mean he will hire a guy under another company pass ... and .. train ???

Singapurapura

Post by Singapurapura » Fri, 13 Oct 2017 12:07 pm

ecureilx wrote:
Singapurapura wrote:He's a Malaysian and he only enter Singapore on a social visit pass. That's why he wanted to get a pass by registering his business here and one of the option is to appoint me as the local director or partner with me.

You mean he will hire a guy under another company pass ... and .. train ???
Yes. My company used to do that when we need to have extra manpower for our machine installation last time. There are companies that supply manpower right?

Of course when the business is picking up, we should employ locals and also I think it's possible to get that contract worker to work under us.

Aitonomeinyme

Post by Aitonomeinyme » Mon, 01 Oct 2018 4:54 pm

Hi there Singapurapura,

Thank you for posting this query. My colleagues and I have been through a similar search journey.

You are right in saying that the relevant pass would be the entrepass (https://www.mom.gov.sg/passes-and-permits/entrepass)

My personal choice was to incorporate a Private Limited as it is more common and generally seen in a better light here in Singapore. It might be also good to engage a local corporate secretarial company who will often allow you to also appoint a local non-executive director which will help a lot with business development, especially if the projects are government related i find.

Hope this little bit of information helps.

AM

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 08 Oct 2018 1:25 am

Aitonomeinyme wrote:Hi there Singapurapura,

Thank you for posting this query. My colleagues and I have been through a similar search journey.

You are right in saying that the relevant pass would be the entrepass (https://www.mom.gov.sg/passes-and-permits/entrepass)

My personal choice was to incorporate a Private Limited as it is more common and generally seen in a better light here in Singapore. It might be also good to engage a local corporate secretarial company who will often allow you to also appoint a local non-executive director which will help a lot with business development, especially if the projects are government related i find.

Hope this little bit of information helps.

AM
I really don't know if you know what you are talking about. In fact, I don't think you have any idea of what you are talking about.

The OP is a PR. Why in the world would a PR apply for an Entrepass? For any reason?

The OP can form any kind of company she/he wants. There is absolutely no reason to pay money for a rented director when the OP can be the director without issue.

The whole point of the OP's question was the easiest way to get a work permit for his foreign nephew. You have provided no useful information, in fact, you have provided misleading information.