Singapore Expats Forum

Is this salary survey realistic?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

antonypranata

Is this salary survey realistic?

Postby antonypranata » Mon, 14 Feb 2005 2:17 pm

Hi all,

I am going to move to Singapore next month and I've got a job offer as software engineer. When they asked for salary expectation, I use the survey from this link, http://www.contactsingapore.org.sg/over ... s_IT.shtml (I use the mean and median value).

They said that my salary expectation is too high. They also mention that if that survey is used, then many employees in Singapore are underpaid.

What do you guys think about this issue?

Antony

sLeEpWaLkErInG

Postby sLeEpWaLkErInG » Sun, 20 Feb 2005 12:17 pm

For working in Singapore, stablilty of the economy play a major part and furthermore, tax is lower compared to other countries. juz my 2 cents :D

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Sun, 20 Feb 2005 1:34 pm

You don't state how much experience you have, any certifications you hold, or any contributions you have made that demonstrate problem solving skills and an ability con contribute to the bottom line of the business.

The survey estimates are reasonable for what they probably are: Large firms, perhaps multi-nationals, who employ people with many years of experience. The numbers will be different in smaller firms, and will definitely be different if you are coming in as a junior.

jpatokal

Postby jpatokal » Wed, 23 Feb 2005 10:33 pm

Many employees in Singapore are underpaid -- but you aren't an ordinary employee, you're an expat, and obviously there's a reason that the company wants you instead of Mr Tan who just graduated from NTU.

I think the salary figures look realistic, but as Strong Eagle said, your skills and experience make a big difference. What have you got and why does the company want you?

myidea

Postby myidea » Fri, 25 Feb 2005 1:39 pm

Ya. I just saw the website and I find that the salary structure given is highly unrealistic.

At least , I am getting half as what I should have been getting as-per-the-chart.

I am also an expat, and belong to erstwhile elite IT community.

Either the survey is unrealistic, or I am being exploited.

Answering some of the earlier observations, I am on the higher side of qualification/ experience etc.

Well. Life is not always fair to everybody. It is upto you what you get and what you deserve.

Cheers

jpatokal

Postby jpatokal » Tue, 01 Mar 2005 12:34 am

myidea wrote:At least , I am getting half as what I should have been getting as-per-the-chart. I am also an expat, and belong to erstwhile elite IT community. Either the survey is unrealistic, or I am being exploited.

If you're getting half what the survey says, you can't be making much over S$2000 per month -- which means that yes, you are being exploited, if you have experience in your field and presumably some expat ability like languages too.

adicen

Postby adicen » Wed, 16 Mar 2005 12:46 am

hey Antonypranata

Are you an Indonesian in Germany?