Singapore Expats

All not well in Spain!!!

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
Barnsley
Manager
Manager

All not well in Spain!!!

Post by Barnsley » Wed, 04 Oct 2017 4:10 pm

Independent in a matter of days!!!

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-41493014
Catalonia will declare independence from Spain in a matter of days, the leader of the autonomous region has told the BBC.
Seems like our Spanish friends have been too busy annoying the British with Gibraltar to notice whats going within their own borders.
Life is short, paddle harder!!

x9200

Re: All not well in Spain!!!

Post by x9200 » Wed, 04 Oct 2017 5:04 pm

Barnsley wrote:Independent in a matter of days!!!

Catalonia will declare independence from Spain in a matter of days, the leader of the autonomous region has told the BBC.
Seems like our Spanish friends have been too busy annoying the British with Gibraltar to notice whats going within their own borders.
They (Catalans) are supported by nobody but themselves and no country from EU willing to help in any mediation, so after declaring the independence happens what? Venezuela will recognize it?

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Wed, 04 Oct 2017 5:13 pm

x9200 wrote:
Barnsley wrote:Independent in a matter of days!!!

They (Catalans) are supported by nobody but themselves and no country from EU willing to help in any mediation, so after declaring the independence happens what? Venezuela will recognize it?
If Madrid keeps sending the Police in to beat people up then things will change.

What is Spain's' worry if Catalonia becomes independent anyway?

The goal of Catalonia like Scotland seems to be become independent then join the EU, seems counter intuitive to me , but that's the way it is.
Life is short, paddle harder!!

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 04 Oct 2017 5:21 pm

I am not saying it is all wrong. I am just saying wrong time and approach. Even with the police riding and beating and the words of condemnation coming from many countries, nobody wanted to openly support the idea and the independence. They should have done it some way to maximize their chances. I don't know what is going to happen next, but it doesn't look good.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 04 Oct 2017 5:47 pm

x9200 wrote:I am not saying it is all wrong. I am just saying wrong time and approach. Even with the police riding and beating and the words of condemnation coming from many countries, nobody wanted to openly support the idea and the independence. They should have done it some way to maximize their chances. I don't know what is going to happen next, but it doesn't look good.
There is never a right time !

Initially nobody will support, because nobody knows the winning side.

But once they go and prove they done it, not many are gonna say - hey, the guys are untouchable.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 04 Oct 2017 9:58 pm

Barnsley wrote:What is Spain's' worry if Catalonia becomes independent anyway?
They comprise about 16 percent of Spain's population but more than 25 percent of the GDP.

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Thu, 05 Oct 2017 12:11 am

Reminds me of what California is, to the rest of USA .......

http://www.aei.org/publication/putting- ... countries/

BTW, is it possible to amend the title? It is missing an "s" . Sounds jarring to my ears when I was reading it aloud to myself :mrgreen: