Singapore Expats

Regarding volunteer works for PR application

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
HyungJon

Regarding volunteer works for PR application

Post by HyungJon » Tue, 03 Oct 2017 9:52 pm

Hi, I'm a Korean NUS graduate who's trying to get employed and eventually apply for PR. Now that I've graduated I think it's a good time to start doing volunteer work to improve my chances of getting a PR, but I'm not sure which activity to join. So I'd like to ask the others what kind of jobs might be the best for applying for PR.

Of course, I'm aware ICA doesn't disclose how it makes its decisions so I know I can't get definitive answers. I'm just looking for anecdotes and at least speculations regarding this matter that might be helpful in deciding.

1. Is the type of activity likely to affect the application? e.g. is helping the elderly more likely to impress ICA than, say, helping animals?
2. Would ICA care how active the volunteer work is (e.g. weekly vs monthly vs only at certain events) or just about how long I've been volunteering?
3. Is a testimonial from the volunteer organization going to be critical? Or is any documented proof about how long I've been volunteering likely to be enough?
4. Any other recommendations regarding what volunteer work to do?

Thanks for any advices you could provide.

BBCDoc
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Regarding volunteer works for PR application

Post by BBCDoc » Tue, 03 Oct 2017 10:33 pm

Hi there,

You are doing volunteer work, not out of altruism, but for personal gain.

Better to focus on career and family planning, worked for me in 4 years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
There's always room for one more

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 03 Oct 2017 10:52 pm

^^^^Spot on. And ICA are wise to that now. As usual people tend to burn the bridges for those who follow.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 03 Oct 2017 10:53 pm

I hear donating blood helps a lot

But you can't donate often..

PS lot of volunteer organisations are not happy issuing letters of contribution, unless you been there 3 to 5 years.

HyungJon

Post by HyungJon » Tue, 03 Oct 2017 11:10 pm

Oh wow I didn't realize I made it sound as if I'm only interested in voluntary work because of PR by leaving out the details that aren't related to PR. That is a huge mistake.

No, of course that's part of the reason but I'm asking this only because I want to make a well-informed decision. I had decided to do some volunteer work before I even became interested in applying for PR. I was most keen to help the elderly, and I've already narrowed down my choice to 2~3 organizations like Lions Befrienders. And now that I just need to choose which of these, I decided that I'd probably want to choose one that'd be the most helpful for PR.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 03 Oct 2017 11:13 pm

HyungJon wrote:Oh wow I didn't realize I made it sound as if I'm only interested in voluntary work because of PR by leaving out the details that aren't related to PR. That is a huge mistake.

No, of course that's part of the reason but I'm asking this only because I want to make a well-informed decision. I had decided to do some volunteer work before I even became interested in applying for PR. I was most keen to help the elderly, and I've already narrowed down my choice to 2~3 organizations like Lions Befrienders. And now that I just need to choose which of these, I decided that I'd probably want to choose one that'd be the most helpful for PR.
Confused.

You are doing from your heart but you want to know which ones will help PR?

If I say none, what you gonna do?

HyungJon

Post by HyungJon » Tue, 03 Oct 2017 11:26 pm

I'd go ahead with the one that I was most strongly drawn to before I took PR into consideration.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 03 Oct 2017 11:29 pm

HyungJon wrote:I'd go ahead with the one that I was most strongly drawn to before I took PR into consideration.
Not blood donation?

Blood donors get automatic recognition

HyungJon

Post by HyungJon » Wed, 04 Oct 2017 12:00 am

Hmm, I was most interested in helping the elderly and particularly those activities that involve giving direct and emotional support, so blood donation wasn't on my list. That sounds like something I could do in addition to volunteer work... provided my fat-contaminated blood is useful enough. Guess that's up to the health center to decide, not me. I'll check on that as well. Thanks for the suggestion.