Singapore Expats

Why do Singaporeans hate me?!?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Re: Why do Singaporeans hate me?!?

Post by Barnsley » Wed, 04 Oct 2017 3:57 pm

AmericanWereWolf wrote:Thank you Strong Eagle. I really needed that right now because I am really stressing this. I don't mean to make sweeping statements because I have met some very nice people who do not seem to have that outlook. I Guess it just got to me because I really want to be accepted and fit in here. I speak Singlish, can mirror the local accent to a T and even learned Mandarin so I can speak one of the Mother tongues. Maybe I am reading too far into things and should give it time. I have a full day out and about tomorrow. I hope to encounter some more of the friendly people and have a good time exploring with my Wife. Thanks for the words of encouragement bru!
All this in 4 days ... Bravo to you!!!
Life is short, paddle harder!!

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Wed, 04 Oct 2017 4:05 pm

casey5047 wrote: I wouldn't bother with speaking Singlish though. Personally I think foreigners speaking Singlish come across as embarrassingly desperate and pathetic (nothing more so than white people who refer to themselves as 'ang mohs'). They may laugh for a few seconds, but they'll respect you less for it. Be yourself.
I agree speaking Singlish can sound ridiculous even if you can use lah , loh , leh , hor, mah etc etc correctly , however as I am surrounded by local folks in my office I have unconsciously adopted the use of "anyhow , can , cannot" and shortening my sentences to only the necessary words as that's how my daily work chat goes.

As for using ang moh , I always use angmoh as I would never use Caucasian as its never been in my vocab and sounds weird, so I may as well go with the local description of whitey. :D
Life is short, paddle harder!!

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Wed, 04 Oct 2017 5:57 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:
PNGMK wrote:Looking (staring with no facial expression) at people out of curiousity is not rude here.
+1

you'll get used to it, i get stared at by my own countrymen for having an angmoh as a partner.. :???:
Whoa! You changed your partner already? I thought you mentioned she was a Filipino.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 04 Oct 2017 6:02 pm

Wd40 wrote:
PNGMK wrote:Looking (staring with no facial expression) at people out of curiousity is not rude here.
+1

you'll get used to it, i get stared at by my own countrymen for having an angmoh as a partner.. :???:
Whoa! You changed your partner already? I thought you mentioned she was a Filipino.

This time for real ..

WD40.

Wrong Number :D

RAT never mentioned his Partner to be from PH !

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Wed, 04 Oct 2017 6:08 pm

Oops, I don't know why I thought so.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 04 Oct 2017 7:26 pm

Wd40 wrote:Oops, I don't know why I thought so.

ImageImage

Sia White

Post by Sia White » Wed, 04 Oct 2017 7:47 pm

Really interesting. I think it is because fathers don`t want their daughters to be married to foreigners. This is all over the world.
Last edited by Sia White on Wed, 18 Oct 2017 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 04 Oct 2017 8:09 pm

Wd40 wrote:
+1

Yes, lets gossip! It was an EE lady last time and it seemed to be serious. Very serious. In fact, so serious Raj made me here thinking about the reason he used the word partner. One obvious possibility would be to keep his options open, by PNGMK knows the truth already so I don't think he would take this bait (or bite). Confusing.

AmericanWereWolf

Post by AmericanWereWolf » Wed, 04 Oct 2017 9:40 pm

Lmao, Barsley, not in 4 days. I have been at it for months. And to answer a question from earlier, no I have never been to Korea but do know about the racism issue there. Thank you all for the kind words of encouragement and advice. I take it all to heart. My Wife and I went up to Ang Mo Kio today and had a much different experience. Very nice people up there and a great day all together. I think we have been spending too much time in Little India and Downtown area. Downtown people can be rude everywhere, especially NYC where I am from. I like it here a lot and am not going to let a few bad experiences change that. SINGAPORE is beautiful and full of Nee and exciting things. Assholes are everywhere but I have definitely reassessed my feelings and don't feel like such a pariah anymore. One thing is also for sure, I'm hella Glad that the expats here are so cool and willing to give advice and share experiences with a newbie like myself. You guys rock! :)

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Thu, 05 Oct 2017 5:58 pm

If you want to see what is hate, read this thread:

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/eat-d ... 02029.html

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Thu, 05 Oct 2017 9:32 pm

helloo uncless siao lah my partner = wife leh..
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 05 Oct 2017 11:49 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:helloo uncless siao lah my partner = wife leh..
Unker..

GSM8
Chatter
Chatter

Post by GSM8 » Fri, 06 Oct 2017 10:07 am

OP, adopt a big dog. People will either be scared and avert their gaze or they'll be too busy gushing over the dog to bother about you. Worked for me :lol:

(P.S. Seriously though, adopt not buy, because there are many big friendly dogs out there that have been abandoned, probably by some of those very a***holes, and deserve a good home)

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 06 Oct 2017 11:08 am

GSM8 wrote:(P.S. Seriously though, adopt not buy, because there are many big friendly dogs out there that have been abandoned, probably by some of those very a***holes, and deserve a good home)
Some forced to give up because of a**hole neighbours who felt scared to see a big dog, like a Lab !!

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Fri, 06 Oct 2017 11:10 am

I don't really think apartments and dogs go well. If you really want to keep a dog, you better have a nice lawn and a landed house. Singapore doesnt have space for people where is the place for dogs?