Singapore Expats

Why do Singaporeans hate me?!?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Why do Singaporeans hate me?!?

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 06 Oct 2017 11:17 am

Wd40 wrote:I don't really think apartments and dogs go well. If you really want to keep a dog, you better have a nice lawn and a landed house. Singapore doesnt have space for people where is the place for dogs?

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk
I may agree with you.

But with a bit of community engagement, you will know, some of those who end up in apartments with dogs are there due to circumstances. It's not like they were in the HDB when they got the dog (this is for Some cases .. )

Like a family I saw, 2 dogs. Apparently they were doing well, till things went south and ended up in HDB. They were forced to move out of their bungalow house.

And also .. this one.

https://mothership.sg/2017/09/sporean-m ... complaint/

PS, I would rather let the adopted dogs live in HDB, even though they may not be ideally fit, than be sent to the Dog park in Heaven.

Mariopeterson100

Post by Mariopeterson100 » Sun, 22 Jul 2018 3:21 pm

Can relate. Haha
Last edited by Mariopeterson100 on Sun, 22 Jul 2018 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mariopeterson100

Post by Mariopeterson100 » Sun, 22 Jul 2018 3:25 pm

I feel your struggles. I too am American and have a Korean girlfriend and it would be an understatement to say we receive negative attention. In the shopping centres, at the gym, at restaurants, coffee shops, in the MRT, you name it. But don't worry; I can explain why this happens.

I met my girlfriend when I was in the Air Force stationed in South Korea and would soon learn interracial couples in environments with strict cultural boundaries were met with distaste. It took me awhile to comprehend this because my mind was still accustomed to the American atmosphere where most couples weren't examined closely in public if the two were racially different. As in every culture, older generations (especially far-east Asian) tend to expect individuals from their respective culture to date in their own race. They can't bare the thought of seeing kids with mixed genes because it will distort the family bloodline. (Another minuscule reason may be assumptions that people desire to marry their way out of their country.) At least in my experience, it is widely evident that family in Asia is held to a much higher regard than in the West. It can be perceived as insulting to the culture, but I truly believe that the mindset is becoming more accepting towards interracial dating these days.

A bigger proportion of the nasty looks were toward my Korean girlfriend, and this is because young women are a much easier target for elderly individuals from cultures where women are viewed as inferior in many regards. Elders in Asia are very respected and treated gracefully but unfortunately, some manipulate this kind of power and use it in a disrespectful and forceful way. Singapore is no exception. Although my girlfriend is Korean, she is often confused with Singaporean Chinese and receives this kind of cold treatment with me in Singapore as well.

My advice is to approach this with an open-mind and show that you can be a good person with your wife regardless of the opinion towards you two. Don't accommodate to them but at the same time show why you can be a great fit and be a likable person. I know you're not doing this, but it would be illogical to blame a great culture where strictness has made up a fundamental portion of its identity for numerous generations. We love Singapore and enjoy hanging out with locals and expats alike. Good luck!

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Fri, 27 Jul 2018 3:52 pm

I've been to Korea, certain parts of USA, China, subcontinental Asia, etc. Racism, sometimes misdiagnosed from curiosity, plus cultural difference in facial expression, is everywhere. I'll say, chill and embrace the difference!

Fun video to reflect this topic, although different country. Still nice to watch.

jnageb18

Post by jnageb18 » Fri, 27 Jul 2018 4:37 pm

AmericanWereWolf wrote:Someone please help me understand this. I have been in SG for 4 days. I am American, bi-racial (1/2 black, 1/2 white) 6 feet 2 inches tall and have straight hair. I dress nicely, speak respectfully, lower my head when I pass people and am always polite. I occasionally wear earrings and have a slight stubble beard. Every since I got here people seem to be giving me the death stare. My Wife is Korean and I understand that when an Asian person sees another Asian with a black persons there may be some intolerance. However when I am standing by myself or walking casually with her ( as if we may be friends) people still seem to look at me that way. It's never shop owners or wait staff or any professionals but rather just people on the street ( mainly Chinese Singaporeans). Honestly, I'm hurt because I love this country and really want to fit in and be accepted. I just need to know if they are being this way because of something I am doing that is offensive and I am unaware or if my race and appearance alone are the cause. Someone please help, let me know your experience or shed some light. My Wife and I don't really know many people here and I don't know who I capfuls aske besides strangers.

Thank you!
I have Asian heritage; I visited South Africa once. In SA there are only Africans(black) & people of European descent(Whites - either English or Dutch German)

The whole country was staring at me XD Im guessing thats because theyve never seen a yellow person before.

Likewise! I dont think Singaporeans hate you. They might be looking at you because they find you uniqie and are intrigued!! take it easy pal :)
where in the States are you from??

Pennykee

Post by Pennykee » Tue, 21 Aug 2018 12:36 pm

Don't take it too hard and don't take it to heart.
Most people don't really know when they stare at people it makes people uncomfortable and it may be unintended. They might be just curious that you are with a Korean. Though, there're many cases of chinese got married with malay or indian but still this is a big thing here.

Don't worry. :)