Singapore Expats

REP renewal doubts

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
varunkh

REP renewal doubts

Post by varunkh » Fri, 29 Sep 2017 12:32 am

I am currently based in Dubai working with a tier 1 strategy consulting firm. My REP renewal is in May: 2018. I joined the firm 7 months ago and as per policy will not be allowed to relocate before Sep 2018.

Brief history of my stay in Singapore:
2006-2010: Student at SMU on full scholarship
2010-2013: Worked at Credit Suisse in Singapore
2013 May received PR
2014 Jan: Moved by Credit Suisse to London
2015 May: Moved by Credit Suisse to Singapore. Worked for 3 months with CS; then did an unpaid internship till November.
2016 Jan - June: MBA at INSEAD in France
2016 July - Dec: MBA at INSEAD in Singapore
2017: based in Dubai

I can not leave my firm before 18 months else it will be perceived as if I was not able to cope with the rigors of this job. After 18 months for the sake of my PR I am happy to quit and relocate any time.

Could anyone please advise whether a 1 year REP extension will be possible? I am paying CPF of $1500 every month since May, have visited Singapore 6 times this year, and also have education loans in Singapore of $60,000.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: REP renewal doubts

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 29 Sep 2017 9:05 am

varunkh wrote:I am currently based in Dubai working with a tier 1 strategy consulting firm. My REP renewal is in May: 2018. I joined the firm 7 months ago and as per policy will not be allowed to relocate before Sep 2018.

Brief history of my stay in Singapore:
2006-2010: Student at SMU on full scholarship
2010-2013: Worked at Credit Suisse in Singapore
2013 May received PR
2014 Jan: Moved by Credit Suisse to London
2015 May: Moved by Credit Suisse to Singapore. Worked for 3 months with CS; then did an unpaid internship till November.
2016 Jan - June: MBA at INSEAD in France
2016 July - Dec: MBA at INSEAD in Singapore
2017: based in Dubai

I can not leave my firm before 18 months else it will be perceived as if I was not able to cope with the rigors of this job. After 18 months for the sake of my PR I am happy to quit and relocate any time.

Could anyone please advise whether a 1 year REP extension will be possible? I am paying CPF of $1500 every month since May, have visited Singapore 6 times this year, and also have education loans in Singapore of $60,000.
Good luck !

Education loans or not, SG is culling those who are not spending time here ..

varunkh

Post by varunkh » Sat, 30 Sep 2017 4:25 pm

Thanks. Will it help if I find a job in Singapore and move back before the renewal?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sat, 30 Sep 2017 4:42 pm

varunkh wrote:Thanks. Will it help if I find a job in Singapore and move back before the renewal?
Maybe

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Post by singaporeflyer » Sat, 30 Sep 2017 7:47 pm

varunkh wrote:? I am paying CPF of $1500 every month since May, have visited Singapore 6 times this year, and also have education loans in Singapore of $60,000.

The 1500 contribution per month wont help at all as you are not employed in SG and you do not pay taxes in SG.

Visiting SG N times won't matter and what will matter is if you are RESIDING in SG.

If you relocate to SG and work here for the next 1 year, you have a slight chance of getting a 1 year REP renewal after which you may be given a 5 years renewal.

Else, based on your records in the last 5 years, you REP renewal may be denied.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sat, 30 Sep 2017 8:33 pm

singaporeflyer wrote: The 1500 contribution per month wont help at all as you are not employed in SG and you do not pay taxes in SG.

Visiting SG N times won't matter and what will matter is if you are RESIDING in SG.

If you relocate to SG and work here for the next 1 year, you have a slight chance of getting a 1 year REP renewal after which you may be given a 5 years renewal.

Else, based on your records in the last 5 years, you REP renewal may be denied.
True stories.

A couple of guys who paid CPF, out of town like 1 year of their 5 year REP, saw REP denied.

Another, was working in Brunei for 4 plus years, got his REP renewed for 5 years.

The difference on top of the above is, latter was from a favored race and nationality.

GSM8
Chatter
Chatter

Post by GSM8 » Sat, 30 Sep 2017 9:18 pm

I've seen a couple of recent instances of INSEAD alumni viewed favorably in PR applications. Not sure about REP renewal though

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sat, 30 Sep 2017 9:21 pm

You're not really resident and you're not in an occupation that is likely to return you to Singapore so I'd say you're out of luck.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 01 Oct 2017 12:11 am

GSM8 wrote:I've seen a couple of recent instances of INSEAD alumni viewed favorably in PR applications. Not sure about REP renewal though
Sad to say, going by OPs name, his community is being reduced in %

varunkh

Post by varunkh » Sun, 01 Oct 2017 7:42 pm

Thank you guys for the inputs. I can understand why ICA wants to cull abusers of the PR system.

For me the last few years has been a period of transition. When I was moved to London, my department was cut down by 80% but I was offered a role based on historic performance.
Then, I applied to a business school present in Singapore but was offered the French campus as the starting point. I applied to more than 20 companies in Singapore but received job offers from London and Dubai only - at the back of a student loan for which payments started while studying itself, it was difficult to keep looking for more jobs.

May be if I had checked this forum before I would have done things differently, but its a bit late for that. I have interviews scheduled in Singapore, keeping fingers crossed.

None of this is ICA's problem and I am responsible for the situation, I understand that. I can only tell them what the situation was and see what they think.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 01 Oct 2017 11:16 pm

varunkh wrote:Thank you guys for the inputs. I can understand why ICA wants to cull abusers of the PR system.

For me the last few years has been a period of transition. When I was moved to London, my department was cut down by 80% but I was offered a role based on historic performance.
Then, I applied to a business school present in Singapore but was offered the French campus as the starting point. I applied to more than 20 companies in Singapore but received job offers from London and Dubai only - at the back of a student loan for which payments started while studying itself, it was difficult to keep looking for more jobs.

May be if I had checked this forum before I would have done things differently, but its a bit late for that. I have interviews scheduled in Singapore, keeping fingers crossed.

None of this is ICA's problem and I am responsible for the situation, I understand that. I can only tell them what the situation was and see what they think.
Unfortunately ICA works in metrics

Not on got feel and intentions

Good luck.

PS, there was no place to explain when you renew.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Wed, 04 Oct 2017 12:24 am

Actually OP, I don't think you really need PR, given your credentials, you will move to wherever opportunities come. Chances are very high that those opportunities will most likely be in places that upcoming and developing. Singapore is in sunset mode, so if I were you, I wouldn't do anything out of the way to try to come back to Singapore or anything. Even if you did that there is no guarantee that you will be allowed to keep your PR or that you future family members will be able to get PR and secure their life in Singapore. So I would say just chill.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 04 Oct 2017 9:39 am

WD40 has made some good points.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 04 Oct 2017 10:52 am

PNGMK wrote:WD40 has made some good points.
Agreed :D :D

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 04 Oct 2017 1:57 pm

ecureilx wrote:
PNGMK wrote:WD40 has made some good points.
Agreed :D :D
He must be on the wagon or sick or something.