Singapore Expats

going to default NS due to a change in plans

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: going to default NS due to a change in plans

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 25 Sep 2017 6:49 pm

swiftredgg wrote:. Thus they accepted my reasons and dont mind me serving as what i lose is simply 2 years of my prime while gaining a world more of opportunities.
Serving NS in Singapore is far from war duty.

Good luck.

swiftredgg

Post by swiftredgg » Mon, 25 Sep 2017 7:53 pm

I have another question to ask, which is what if my Sponsor(parent)'s PR expires while I am halfway through NS and the renewal is rejected? What will happen to me if I am in NS? as I heard that I will still continue to be a PR through NS until i am ORDed.

Thanks in advance.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 25 Sep 2017 8:36 pm

swiftredgg wrote:I have another question to ask, which is what if my Sponsor(parent)'s PR expires while I am halfway through NS and the renewal is rejected? What will happen to me if I am in NS? as I heard that I will still continue to be a PR through NS until i am ORDed.

Thanks in advance.
You'll almost certainly have your REP renewed -the duration will depend on the exact circumstances at the time but with a bit of luck you may get 3 or 5 years which means you can finish NS and then stay on in Singapore without difficulty or go overseas, study and possibly renew REP to come back again.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

swiftredgg

Post by swiftredgg » Mon, 25 Sep 2017 9:00 pm

PNGMK wrote:
swiftredgg wrote:I have another question to ask, which is what if my Sponsor(parent)'s PR expires while I am halfway through NS and the renewal is rejected? What will happen to me if I am in NS? as I heard that I will still continue to be a PR through NS until i am ORDed.

Thanks in advance.
You'll almost certainly have your REP renewed -the duration will depend on the exact circumstances at the time but with a bit of luck you may get 3 or 5 years which means you can finish NS and then stay on in Singapore without difficulty or go overseas, study and possibly renew REP to come back again.
Oh that sounds nice, but what if the sponsor is below 60 years old and unemployed for the past few years? That is my main worry.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 25 Sep 2017 10:25 pm

Unemployed or retired?

And I am glad you've seen the light. My son did his NS in the Singapore Navy. He's decided to stay and now is one of the two owners of Grease Monkey Barber Garage. You can never know what can happen with the contacts and networks you create in Singapore Military. All males have to do it. Some become leaders of industry, some become PMs, all have military networks that span all the ranks which often come in handy later in live as each enters into business or professions world wide. =D> :cool:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

swiftredgg

Post by swiftredgg » Mon, 25 Sep 2017 10:54 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Unemployed or retired?

And I am glad you've seen the light. My son did his NS in the Singapore Navy. He's decided to stay and now is one of the two owners of Grease Monkey Barber Garage. You can never know what can happen with the contacts and networks you create in Singapore Military. All males have to do it. Some become leaders of industry, some become PMs, all have military networks that span all the ranks which often come in handy later in live as each enters into business or professions world wide. =D> :cool:
unemployed sadly. Has been trying to find a job but sort of gave up as quite a lot of employers are ageist even thought his qualifications and exp are there. Thus I am wondering whether me needing to serve NS will help in him applying for renewal of PR when the time comes. I have called CMPB to ask but they say they are not sure what would be my pr status if they reject his renewal and I am halfway through NS when his pr expires as he is my sponsor for pr.

I understand the benefits of ns and have now realised the tons more of setbacks I will face for being a military deserter but the main reason I started thinking about this is as they suddenly told me that their PR expiry date is halfway through my NS and they are not 100% confident it will be renewed. Thus this started the chain reaction of me thinking what would happen to me in this case.

thanks.

swiftredgg

Post by swiftredgg » Mon, 25 Sep 2017 11:27 pm

There is another question I am not sure if appropriate or not but I cannot get over so I will just ask it anyways.

Since my parents sponsor my PR, I think that if they leave/are outside SG once their REP expires, they will lose their PR status. However, if I do not leave SG(as I am doing NS), am I still allowed to "keep" my PR status until I leave Singapore(even though they are my sponsors for PR)? Or does my PR status automatically get revoked once they leave SG(after their REP expires) even though I am still in SG?

If I automatically lose my PR once they leave SG with expired REPs, then the last resort would be that my parents stay in SG for the 2+ years until I can complete my NS so that i can complete NS without a hitch. Is this true?

All the above situations are in the case of my parents' application for renewal of PR is rejected.

thanks again.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 26 Sep 2017 3:46 am

I see the post of SMS mentioning ICA watching this board created a small miracle. OP, I hope you are honest, because "they" are not idiots.

swiftredgg

Post by swiftredgg » Tue, 26 Sep 2017 4:08 am

x9200 wrote:I see the post of SMS mentioning ICA watching this board created a small miracle. OP, I hope you are honest, because "they" are not idiots.
Well honestly I posted my reply before seeing him post that. In the end it doesn't matter does it? As long as I have the intention to serve and don't go awol they can't really penalise me as long as I follow the rules quietly and leave after serving my 2 years :)

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 26 Sep 2017 6:59 am

:)

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 27 Sep 2017 12:01 am

If your parents are over retirement age (62) when they renew their REP they may succeed on the basis on being retired - their employment situation may not come into it. There are PR's here who are retired.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!