Singapore Expats

going to default NS due to a change in plans

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.
swiftredgg

going to default NS due to a change in plans

Post by swiftredgg » Sun, 24 Sep 2017 12:13 am

Hi all, I have seen a lot of threads on these topics but non of them seem to fit in exactly to my situation so i wish to enquire about this now.

So right now I am 17 years old in a JC as an Australian citizen and SG PR and going to do A levels next year. So i would roughly get back my results(have to collect from school) in late Feb 2019 while I would probably be called up to enter NS at around late Jan.

So my main 2 questions are, whether i would be allowed to leave singapore to australia somewhere in Dec 2018 without applying for an exit permit (if i dont plan to come back) such that whether they would stop be at customs or something like that cos i plan to study uni in australia and dont need to come back and my parents would migrate with me (both of them are aus citizens as well).

My second question is that whether my parents would be penalised (fines, jail term etc) if one of them were to return to SG around late feb early march to go back to my school to collect my A level results cert and return to australia again.

They would most likely cut ties with sg such as selling their hdb and closing their cpf accounts before they leave so they wont need to ever return back to singapore afterwards as well.

Much thanks for reading so far and I would be really grateful it if you would kindly answer these questions!!

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Re: going to default NS due to a change in plans

Post by Mad Scientist » Sun, 24 Sep 2017 5:15 pm

Mate

You PM me and expect me to tell you how to skip this ? get real , matey !!

How do I know you are legit or not ?

Sorry, I can't help you. I have been burned by ingrates more than once
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 24 Sep 2017 5:52 pm

swiftredgg wrote:Hi all, I have seen a lot of threads on these topics but non of them seem to fit in exactly to my situation so i wish to enquire about this now.

So right now I am 17 years old in a JC as an Australian citizen and SG PR and going to do A levels next year. So i would roughly get back my results(have to collect from school) in late Feb 2019 while I would probably be called up to enter NS at around late Jan.

So my main 2 questions are, whether i would be allowed to leave singapore to australia somewhere in Dec 2018 without applying for an exit permit (if i dont plan to come back) such that whether they would stop be at customs or something like that cos i plan to study uni in australia and dont need to come back and my parents would migrate with me (both of them are aus citizens as well).

My second question is that whether my parents would be penalised (fines, jail term etc) if one of them were to return to SG around late feb early march to go back to my school to collect my A level results cert and return to australia again.

They would most likely cut ties with sg such as selling their hdb and closing their cpf accounts before they leave so they wont need to ever return back to singapore afterwards as well.

Much thanks for reading so far and I would be really grateful it if you would kindly answer these questions!!
So you are 1000% Singapore will never appear in any of your future plans?

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 24 Sep 2017 9:09 pm

swiftredgg wrote:....and my parents would migrate with me (both of them are aus citizens as well).
After you hopefully settle down in Australia, are you going to burn your passport or just travel to NZ/US only?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 24 Sep 2017 9:48 pm

x9200 wrote:
swiftredgg wrote:....and my parents would migrate with me (both of them are aus citizens as well).
After you hopefully settle down in Australia, are you going to burn your passport or just travel to NZ/US only?
OP is PR. :)

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 24 Sep 2017 10:20 pm

ecureilx wrote:
x9200 wrote:
I know, I know. What I mean, Australia is probably not the most convenient location to default from the SG's NS. Planes get diverted from time to time.

swiftredgg

Post by swiftredgg » Mon, 25 Sep 2017 12:49 am

Mad Scientist wrote:Mate

You PM me and expect me to tell you how to skip this ? get real , matey !!

How do I know you are legit or not ?

Sorry, I can't help you. I have been burned by ingrates more than once
ah sorry then I guess it's okay i just wanted to know more but I already have backup plans in place for both my problems which is to leave without and EP after As and never come back and if i need my results I can probably either get a family friend to collect it and send it to me or get SEAB to send me a statement of results for my As.

I was just hoping that there would be more convenient ways to solve these problems which is why I consulted you so I guess its okay if you arent comfortable with replying.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 25 Sep 2017 12:58 am

Don't limit yourself for the rest of your life. Do your NS obligation. Build a network. Ensure that you can always return to Singapore.

What you are planning to do will affect the rest of your life, negatively. What if your employer wants you to go to a meeting in Singapore? Or run a project? Or that conference you were going to speak at... it's in Singapore. And what if that plane _is_ diverted?

swiftredgg

Post by swiftredgg » Mon, 25 Sep 2017 12:59 am

x9200 wrote:
ecureilx wrote:
x9200 wrote: After you hopefully settle down in Australia, are you going to burn your passport or just travel to NZ/US only?
I know, I know. What I mean, Australia is probably not the most convenient location to default from the SG's NS. Planes get diverted from time to time.
Never really thought that far cos my plan was to find direct routes to us/europe with emergency landing near shanghai/hong kong airports or those flights that will transit in such airports that are not changi.

Thanks for the heads up tho, i'll keep it in mind.

swiftredgg

Post by swiftredgg » Mon, 25 Sep 2017 1:07 am

Strong Eagle wrote:Don't limit yourself for the rest of your life. Do your NS obligation. Build a network. Ensure that you can always return to Singapore.

What you are planning to do will affect the rest of your life, negatively. What if your employer wants you to go to a meeting in Singapore? Or run a project? Or that conference you were going to speak at... it's in Singapore. And what if that plane _is_ diverted?
i have thought about and weighed the pros and cons but honestly now my situation is that my parents WILL migrate once I finish my 'A's as they already have a house there and can/want to move asap. Thus I wont be able to stay in singapore even if i do ns and so i lose 2 years of my prime working/studying years just for an off-chance that I will have to go to singapore for some job event. Theres simply too little to gain (in my POV) for too much to lose.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 25 Sep 2017 1:12 am

swiftredgg wrote: Never really thought that far cos my plan was to find direct routes to us/europe with emergency landing near shanghai/hong kong airports or those flights that will transit in such airports that are not changi.

Thanks for the heads up tho, i'll keep it in mind.
Planes don't always fly in a direct line.

Example, Qantas from Sydney to Delhi has problem when over the Bay of Bengal.

You know, theres a high chance they may turn back and land in Singapore? Instead of going on to Delhi? Even if Delhi was 1.5 hour away vs Singapore 2 hours back tracking?

And Emirates from Melbourne to Dubai, Colombo is a diversion even though it makes no sense as there are more options and more choices with better equipped airports?

And say, Etihad, flying over Jakarta, has problem, there is a chance they may divert to Singapore than land in Jakarta?

There are a lot of reasons why those happen..

Just saying ..

I don't wanna spend the rest of my life looking over my shoulder

swiftredgg wrote: i have thought about and weighed the pros and cons but honestly now my situation is that my parents WILL migrate once I finish my 'A's as they already have a house there and can/want to move asap. Thus I wont be able to stay in singapore even if i do ns and so i lose 2 years of my prime working/studying years just for an off-chance that I will have to go to singapore for some job event. Theres simply too little to gain (in my POV) for too much to lose.
Lol. Gold!

PS, what if your parents CPF get locked up? Or your parents are rich enough they don't care is it?

The Ref
Chatter
Chatter

Post by The Ref » Mon, 25 Sep 2017 8:58 am

ecureilx wrote:
swiftredgg wrote: i have thought about and weighed the pros and cons but honestly now my situation is that my parents WILL migrate once I finish my 'A's as they already have a house there and can/want to move asap. Thus I wont be able to stay in singapore even if i do ns and so i lose 2 years of my prime working/studying years just for an off-chance that I will have to go to singapore for some job event. Theres simply too little to gain (in my POV) for too much to lose.
Lol. Gold!

PS, what if your parents CPF get locked up? Or your parents are rich enough they don't care is it?
This is the reason so many people are struggling to get PR now, the people who used the system, take first then run away before they need to give back.
NS was known when you and your parents got PR, now you are planning on not following through with your end.

I am not sure why we are helping this person - he has shown very limited integrity and he is actively making it harder for the rest of us.

I say let him go, and the Gahmen will catch up with him one day.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 25 Sep 2017 9:45 am

Well, the way I see it (and I've locked his posts so he cannot edit them) we know the government reads this site. MOM had us linked in their own site for several years and I've given advice personally to the MOM at their invitation via this site several years ago as well as being asked to sit in televised forum on MediaCorp via this site. There is a good chance that ICA will see this post as our work here on NS issued is one of the most comprehensive you can find on the issue on the web. Additionally, as mentioned, MS is well known to the authorities and we also know that his posts are monitored as well. Therefore, young man, how hard, do you suppose, would it be to cross reference the main databases in Singapore (all of them have been linked together for about 4 years I believe. I think it would be easy to located an individual who parents are both Australian citizens and own an HDB Flat and are PRs with a son who is 17 years of age and also a PR. I reckon there would not be that many. So, if they see this thread, it a strong possibility that they already know who you are and may well have already highlighted this to look out for your departure. Or if HBD is notified to let them know if/when somebody fitting your family structure sells or puts on the market their HDB flat.

Thinks very carefully what you are doing. Singapore has a very long memory and are rather vindictive at times especially when you try to negate your obligations to the republic. [-X :-k [-o<
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 25 Sep 2017 11:55 am

OP - what do you plan to study in Australia? why didn't' your family move back to Oz earlier?

I've known two Aussie's do what you've done and their life is quite curtailed. The transit flight stuff is probably not such a big issue as the fact you may have an arrest warrant over your head. You could find in the future that you cannot get visa for certain countries if Singapore decided to court martial you in absentia and have you convicted in your absence.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

swiftredgg

Post by swiftredgg » Mon, 25 Sep 2017 6:39 pm

Hi all again, new update.

After doing some research and the convincing by you guys, I have learnt some new things such as my PR not being allowed to be renounced as I have been called up already and that was one of the main reasons my parents told me to not serve NS as their PR expires in 2019 which would be halfway through my NS. However since I learnt that fact I honestly feel much better as I do wish to be able to return to singapore in future IF I COULD(which i can if i serve).

Didnt really consider working in singapore due to whats going on now but im okay with keeping my options open and considering what some of you said I might have a lot of potential problems not being able to enter singapore in future.

Thus I have consulted with my parents and I have told them the potential ramifications on myself as well as them and it would be a wise choice to serve even if i do not wish to work here as I have already spent 1/3-1/4 of my life here including my entire childhood and I do wish to maintain relations with my close friends here. Thus they accepted my reasons and dont mind me serving as what i lose is simply 2 years of my prime while gaining a world more of opportunities.

To all, thank you for the advice and feedback once again.