Singapore Expats

IT Business Analyst (outside of the country so far) any tips?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
ofishchuk

IT Business Analyst (outside of the country so far) any tips?

Post by ofishchuk » Sat, 23 Sep 2017 11:47 pm

Greetings!

I am a Business Analyst with 5 years experience of working in IT (Telecommunications and Secrity IT). I am from Ukraine but currently live in Poland. Also used to live in the USA and worked there. I am currently looking for a job in SIngapore due to a personal reason: I am getting married to a Burmese citizen who needs to be at home or at least closer to home for the nearest few years. SInce there are not many opportunities in Myanmar for BAs, I am looking in other SEA countries. Singapore is one of the desired ones.

Anyone can advice any recruitment agency or any other contact where they potentially might be interested to hire a foreigner? I would highly appreciate if you are working in IT and can give a reference. I am willing to relocate at my own cost: Cover my flight, accommodation, pay for my visa etc...

Maybe you can give me some other tips for finding a job in Singapore? I am planning to come for the studies (3 months) and maybe one additional month as a tourist to be able to talk to the recruiter face to face and be able to conduct an interview if needed.

Any advice or reference would be highly appreciated :)

Thanks!

brian_singapore
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Re: IT Business Analyst (outside of the country so far) any tips?

Post by brian_singapore » Mon, 25 Sep 2017 2:11 pm

Security is one of the hot skillsets that SG government is looking to promote. While this means a company should be able to get you an EP despite the current constriction on EP issuance, very few companies will interview an intermediate employee from outside the country.

It is possible to find work while outside, but very difficult. Most hiring managers will bin your CV at the first sniff of a foreign address or telephone number. Most recruiters will tell you to give them a call when you land in Singapore.

You very much need to be physically in Singapore to conduct an effective job search.

1 other option would be to find an employer with SG based practice and have them transfer you here. I don't know if anyone who would hire you fresh and ship you to Singapore however.

Aside from looking at security, I'd suggest also looking under the category of technology risk management. Many jobs posted for this type of role these days, particularly from the banks.

ofishchuk

Post by ofishchuk » Mon, 25 Sep 2017 3:33 pm

brian_singapore wrote:Security is one of the hot skillsets that SG government is looking to promote. While this means a company should be able to get you an EP despite the current constriction on EP issuance, very few companies will interview an intermediate employee from outside the country.

It is possible to find work while outside, but very difficult. Most hiring managers will bin your CV at the first sniff of a foreign address or telephone number. Most recruiters will tell you to give them a call when you land in Singapore.

You very much need to be physically in Singapore to conduct an effective job search.

1 other option would be to find an employer with SG based practice and have them transfer you here. I don't know if anyone who would hire you fresh and ship you to Singapore however.

Aside from looking at security, I'd suggest also looking under the category of technology risk management. Many jobs posted for this type of role these days, particularly from the banks.
Thanks Briane for your detailed answer and suggestions. Basically I will come to Singapore for study somewhere in March for 4 months approximately. Will it increase my chances when they see my location as Singapore, Singaporean address in the details and Singaporean contact phone number even though I will be on the student pass?

Thank you!

Regards,
Oleh

brian_singapore
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by brian_singapore » Mon, 25 Sep 2017 3:37 pm

Being in Singapore is critical.

You forgot the most important item in your list of advantages: being available for job interviews.

ofishchuk

Post by ofishchuk » Mon, 25 Sep 2017 3:54 pm

Thanks a lot:) Will still keep looking from the distance and try to get the list of recruiters and agencies :) BTW, is there a place on this forum with some base if trusted recruiters and/or agencies?

Regards,
Oleh