Singapore Expats

Work options for foreign part-time student

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
Askannz

Work options for foreign part-time student

Post by Askannz » Fri, 22 Sep 2017 6:20 pm

Hello,

I am looking for advices. I am a French expat with a Student Pass, studying in NUS for a Master of Computing. I was originally planning to complete the Master in one year, but due to the workload, I am considering staying one semester more.

For my next semester, I would like to take only a few courses and convert to part-time studies so I can work at the same time. Here are my options :
  • I could work part-time : with the Student Pass, I am allowed to work 16h per week without a work pass. However, most part-time jobs are low-skill jobs (waiter, etc) that would not contribute to my work experience.
  • I could work full-time : if I do this then I have to change my visa. But which one to apply for ? Work Holiday Pass is only for 6 month, and I don't know if I qualify for Employment Pass.
  • I could take a full-time internship : Same problem. Should I apply for Training Employment Pass ? I don't think so, because this internship is not required for my graduation.
Anyway, I feel kind of lost with all these options. Any advice would be appreciated :D

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Work options for foreign part-time student

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 22 Sep 2017 6:34 pm

Askannz wrote:Hello,

I am looking for advices. I am a French expat with a Student Pass, studying in NUS for a Master of Computing. I was originally planning to complete the Master in one year, but due to the workload, I am considering staying one semester more.

For my next semester, I would like to take only a few courses and convert to part-time studies so I can work at the same time. Here are my options :
  • I could work part-time : with the Student Pass, I am allowed to work 16h per week without a work pass. However, most part-time jobs are low-skill jobs (waiter, etc) that would not contribute to my work experience.
  • I could work full-time : if I do this then I have to change my visa. But which one to apply for ? Work Holiday Pass is only for 6 month, and I don't know if I qualify for Employment Pass.
  • I could take a full-time internship : Same problem. Should I apply for Training Employment Pass ? I don't think so, because this internship is not required for my graduation.
Anyway, I feel kind of lost with all these options. Any advice would be appreciated :D
Study full time or get an EP and work full time

That's how it has been in Singapore.

Especially for masters students.

Askannz

Post by Askannz » Fri, 22 Sep 2017 6:48 pm

So, no way to do both ? Like start working before completing my Master ? If I study part-time then the workload would be reasonable.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 22 Sep 2017 7:06 pm

Askannz wrote:
So, no way to do both ? Like start working before completing my Master ? If I study part-time then the workload would be reasonable.
Get a EP+ full time job, change to part time studies, if you can cope.

And if the course allows

And I don't get why you must finish the masters before getting a job unless you have no experience to qualify for a job / pass

Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 22 Sep 2017 10:38 pm

Askannz wrote:Hello,

I judge you are trying to have your cake and eat it, too, that is, you're not thinking this through clearly.

I'm going to suggest to you that your best course of action is to work part time. Believe it or not, working as a waiter will contribute to your work experience. You will learn what it is like to be shit upon by someone who looks down on you. You will learn humility. You will learn how to interact. You may serve professionals who may be the beginning of your network.

If your goal is to complete your studies, then the focus should be on school, not work. Any full time professional job will demand a lot from you, to the detriment of your studies. And you still don't know if you the job you'd get would give you relevant work experience.

I'd also add that getting an EP for a full time job with no practical experience will be a very difficult thing to do... most companies won't even attempt to apply.

Focus on school, have fun at a job that you can forget about the minute you walk out the door, and enjoy the opportunity to meet new people in a public service job.

Askannz

Post by Askannz » Fri, 22 Sep 2017 11:54 pm

I judge you are trying to have your cake and eat it, too, that is, you're not thinking this through clearly.
Yeah you're probably right...
I'd also add that getting an EP for a full time job with no practical experience will be a very difficult thing to do... most companies won't even attempt to apply.
Wait...if getting an EP is that hard, how can expats find jobs in Singapore after completing their Master ?

Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Post by Strong Eagle » Sat, 23 Sep 2017 12:47 am

Askannz wrote:Wait...if getting an EP is that hard, how can expats find jobs in Singapore after completing their Master ?
The majority of foreigners do not find jobs with only a degree. The government continues to press hard for a "citizens first" hiring ethic amongst companies. In fact, one thing that aggravates your chances of getting an EP is that the citizen student next to you in class is a person who will also be graduating and needs a job. The gahmen wants that person to get a job, not you.

The jobs landscape has changed very much over the last five years. And again, I judge that the chances of you obtaining an EP for a professional job to hover somewhere around zero.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 23 Sep 2017 6:49 am

Askannz wrote:Wait...if getting an EP is that hard, how can expats find jobs in Singapore after completing their Master ?
Even if the gov would look more favorably* at the foreigners graduated from the local schools, you are not even there yet.

Nothing wrong in working as a waiter or doing other low skill jobs. This is what students do in practically every country. During my time I occasionally worked in the shipyard clearing the bilge area.

*) perhaps with IT is different but there were foreigner fresh grads (local unis) posting on this board having an educational bond (MoE) to pay and being refused work pass.

Askannz

Post by Askannz » Sat, 23 Sep 2017 10:50 am

Well, that definitely paints a different picture of the job market in Singapore than what I had in mind.
EP seems out of reach.

What about getting an internship and a Work Holiday Pass ? Same problem ? I know at least three foreign students who have taken an internship here, so it's definitely not impossible.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sat, 23 Sep 2017 1:52 pm

Askannz wrote:Well, that definitely paints a different picture of the job market in Singapore than what I had in mind.
EP seems out of reach.

What about getting an internship and a Work Holiday Pass ? Same problem ? I know at least three foreign students who have taken an internship here, so it's definitely not impossible.
WHP is after you graduate and if you qualify.

Internship, if any company wants to get you in as an Intern.

Singapore isn't pro study-while-earning. Even locals take up jobs like waiter etc while studying.. Is it a bad Idea?

Again, I thought you done your homework? :)

So, again, what stops you from trying to get a job + EP?

X9200, cleaning bilge tanks is a real crappy job.... Especially if one is claustrophobic..

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 23 Sep 2017 2:09 pm

Ecu, was not that bad and it was well paid (as for the student's pocket).
Bilge, I mean, the place at the very bottom of the ship but it was not like tanks (ballast), pretty open area, When they build the ship all sort of rubbish, pieces of electrical cables, welding electrodes, smaller pieces of metal, all landing there so our job was to remove the rubbish.

Askannz

Post by Askannz » Sat, 23 Sep 2017 2:41 pm

ecureilx wrote:So, again, what stops you from trying to get a job + EP?
I am trying, I have sent out a few copies of my resume already. But getting an EP seems nearly impossible according to what Strong Eagle said :
Strong Eagle wrote:And again, I judge that the chances of you obtaining an EP for a professional job to hover somewhere around zero.
Anyway, the general advice in this topic is to take a part-time job.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 23 Sep 2017 10:24 pm

You cannot get an employment pass of any sort for a part time job. In fact the only way a foreigner can work part time here is if they are a full time student in a government approved school. And, the hours allows to work are severely short.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers