Singapore Expats Forum

Plastic and cosmetic surgery abroad

Everything about beauty enhancement discussion.
kwelll
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 194
Joined: Mon, 03 Apr 2006

Postby kwelll » Sun, 05 Aug 2007 11:05 pm

-Some say Silicone is better as they offer a more solid look while gortex is too soft for the tip area? From my experiences, silicone is indeed harder than gortex texture wise and it feels firmer on the bridge almost like your own bone. However, I find that if the implant is too big, it will be very obvious especially those ugly edges & it doesnt blend as well with thin skin ... so very artificial like stick like appearance. Lightings can make it look worst.....BUT.... it does augment very well and gives a strong and uniform appearance, a good choice for people who wish to have a stronger look.... However, the tip must be implanted with autologous cartilage to protect it.
Anyway jus curious have you heard about this clinic called KALO in Johor Bahru?

They offer Korean Man-made cartilage/gortex.... Any idea what this is ?
Oh... something new to me... "man-made cartilage" ? It is NOT cartilage after all, so be careful. Do you know the name (manufacturers') and under what brand it is sold?


What is your view/knowledge on gortex?
Gortex is soft and relatively difficult to augment because it is not a block rather layers or sheets so the surgeon has to slap on layer by layer.... and because it is soft, it is very skill demanding ..... unlike Silicone that is one whole block either ready made or curved to suit your needs.
It is good for adding volume without the stiff look... but it does lose volume and density with time... and may not be as definite in contour as opposed to silicone.

2)


I just like to know if Rib cartilage is a direct alternative to impants?
As I said, rib is the strongest cartilage available and yes it is natural and therefore cannot be compared to silastic implants. Whether it is an alternative very much depends on your preference and/or evaluation.

i can opt for this method instead of using impant and the results would be similar if not better?
Well, many have had great success with rib cartilage especially for LENGTHENING as much as 5-10 mm !!! No implant can do this for sure. [color=blue]However, I have seen some rib implantation cases with uneven bridge contour... but it does look natural because most of us do not have naturally straight noses [color=blue](bumps and humps or whatever u call it...in fact some prefer it uneven!!!) anyway.... (personally, I cannot live with a curve nose) [/color]3)[/color]

When people use ear cartilage to reshape the tip, do they still add on an implant ?
YES AND NO - If you want your bridge augmented, you may opt for cartilage or implant but the tip must be autologous implanted or else its future disaster! Some of us still prefer a firmer more reliable or predictable result that silastic implants give i.e. silicone. A combination of both is very common. However, some prefer to have the nose 'natural' in every sense of the word so they will not use any implants to save their lives.
[color=blue]
Hope it helps.........

kwelll
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 194
Joined: Mon, 03 Apr 2006

Postby kwelll » Sun, 05 Aug 2007 11:28 pm

foubelle wrote:thank you kwell for answering.

i was thinking abuot the same questions as you. as for compatibility, i think even if it's not compatible, at most it's like sillicon, treated like a foreign object. i will ask more about this when i see dr jung(if everything goes well, i'll be metting the man this dec)

i'm very scared of warping cos i saw the pic and it's very very scary.

btw, does dr hsu use donor's catilege or does he stresses on autologus transplants only. as in everything must be from your own body, no extra material no nothing? can i have is email. i think i might want a second opinion.

thank pple/


Foubelle,

Dr Hsu uses autologous cartilage for his augmentation work only. I was told there is no donar bank in Taiwan and it is not popular at all (non-existent yet?). Am sure the question of where, what, who, how, what if ... are all unanswered.
More useful to ask someone who has it and uses it in their practice.[/color [color=blue]I think the only country that I know that uses donar cartilage is Korea. Dr Jung uses it sometimes for very suitable cases.

WAsadeha
Regular
Regular
Posts: 77
Joined: Fri, 03 Aug 2007

Postby WAsadeha » Mon, 06 Aug 2007 12:01 am

Hi Kweel regarding the man-made cartilage, this is where i found it.

http://www.singaporeexpats.com/forum/pr ... d&p=103373

Anyway like to ask you a few qns...

what is autologous implant?

Does lengthing means extending the tip towards the lips?
-to confrim, are you saying that rib cartilage is the only way that the nose can be longer?
- i thought by putting an implant, the nose gets longer too?

Anyway where can i find more info on rib cartilage and does any clinic near Sg offer this?

kwelll
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 194
Joined: Mon, 03 Apr 2006

Postby kwelll » Mon, 06 Aug 2007 12:26 am

WAsadeha wrote:Hi Kweel regarding the man-made cartilage, this is where i found it.

http://www.singaporeexpats.com/forum/pr ... d&p=103373

Anyway like to ask you a few qns...

what is autologous implant?

Does lengthing means extending the tip towards the lips?
-to confrim, are you saying that rib cartilage is the only way that the nose can be longer?
- i thought by putting an implant, the nose gets longer too?

Anyway where can i find more info on rib cartilage and does any clinic near Sg offer this?


Where are you from? You seem detached from this forum ... I know you are new but how new ?

An implant might give you some tip extension and still look good, but be prepared for some scarring at the tip with high chance of protrusion and visibility !
If you nose is short or you want a substantial lengthening, then rib cartilage implantation is the only option.

User avatar
Jang
Regular
Regular
Posts: 110
Joined: Tue, 30 Jan 2007
Location: Singapore

Postby Jang » Mon, 06 Aug 2007 12:38 am

Hi kwell,

wow you seem to know alot about rhino surgery. :)
Beauty Korea 장
eliza74elaine@hotmail.com

kwelll
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 194
Joined: Mon, 03 Apr 2006

Postby kwelll » Mon, 06 Aug 2007 12:43 am

Jang wrote:Hi kwell,

wow you seem to know alot about rhino surgery. :)


Hi Jang,

When you have had so many rhinoplasties by different doctors of different style and preferences, you would be a tad more knowledgeable because it concerns your one and ONLY nose.... I feel sorry for mine now... but 'we' have an agreement that we`ll take a break to recharge for a better more attractive appearance that FITS THE FACE !

[color=blue][b][color=blue][b]Rhinoplasty is too fascinating for me and certainly[color=blue][b] for
the experts out there... ! "He who masters tiplasty masters rhinoplasty"LOL[/b][/color][/b][/color]
Last edited by kwelll on Mon, 06 Aug 2007 12:52 am, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
Jang
Regular
Regular
Posts: 110
Joined: Tue, 30 Jan 2007
Location: Singapore

Postby Jang » Mon, 06 Aug 2007 12:45 am

kwell, what's the different between I silicone implant & L silicone implant? Tks :wink:

kwelll
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 194
Joined: Mon, 03 Apr 2006

Postby kwelll » Mon, 06 Aug 2007 12:51 am

Jang wrote:kwell, what's the different between I silicone implant & L silicone implant? Tks :wink:


"I" implant is used to augment primarily saddle nose deformity (huge deficient in the middle vulve of the nose, seen externally on the bridge) like "flat broad nose" with no or little structural support to the bridge. It is also used for people with cartilage on the tip but only wish to augment the bridge.

'L" shape implant is very popular (or rather used to be) because it is easy to insert, cheap, and results are predictable and rather consistent. The only difference is that it has a strut at the end that stands off which acts as the columella (between nostril) to give projection from the lateral view. However, this is a very dangerous implant because the skin cannot take the massive pressure from the extension. A big NO-NO for anyone.
Last edited by kwelll on Mon, 06 Aug 2007 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Jang
Regular
Regular
Posts: 110
Joined: Tue, 30 Jan 2007
Location: Singapore

Postby Jang » Mon, 06 Aug 2007 12:52 am

kwell,

after reading what you have post, me also got worry le...Bcos i'll be doing mine on Nov.
Do you think that protrusion is due to doctor skill or due to our skin?

kwelll
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 194
Joined: Mon, 03 Apr 2006

Postby kwelll » Mon, 06 Aug 2007 12:58 am

Jang wrote:kwell,

after reading what you have post, me also got worry le...Bcos i'll be doing mine on Nov.
Do you think that protrusion is due to doctor skill or due to our skin?


HAR? .... where u doing and by whom?

Usually if the doctor skill no good hor, then it will protrude even quicker... but if your skin is thick at tip (virgin nose) then it will take awhile less than 12 months. You will see the tip getting redder .... and soon the implant can be felt or worst seen !!! If you feel pressure or pain, you had jolly well have it REMOVED ASAP.

Do you want a nose with a white cap sticking out from the tip saying 'hi guys.... am finally OUT... now I can breath...!!!"

User avatar
Jang
Regular
Regular
Posts: 110
Joined: Tue, 30 Jan 2007
Location: Singapore

Postby Jang » Mon, 06 Aug 2007 1:19 am

Korea lor, you should know coz my avatar pic can tell who I'll be going to liao.

As for his skill, I got no doubt la, juz worry about my virgin nose whether can take it or not. Me juz wanna higer bridge and cosidering a sharper tip, maybe 1 or both.

I'll seen those who had done revisional so many time in singapore and juz like what you say, protrusion abt coming 1yr and redo it but still hmmm no good! Cos it collapse le, local really cannot make it la.

User avatar
Jang
Regular
Regular
Posts: 110
Joined: Tue, 30 Jan 2007
Location: Singapore

Postby Jang » Mon, 06 Aug 2007 1:22 am

kwell,
juz to kepo, would you mind telling me how many times you have done it?

User avatar
aadvark
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1589
Joined: Tue, 10 Apr 2007
Location: Singapore

Postby aadvark » Mon, 06 Aug 2007 2:43 am

kwelll wrote:
Jang wrote:kwell, what's the different between I silicone implant & L silicone implant? Tks :wink:


"I" implant is used to augment primarily saddle nose deformity (huge deficient in the middle vulve of the nose, seen externally on the bridge) like "flat broad nose" with no or little structural support to the bridge. It is also used for people with cartilage on the tip but only wish to augment the bridge.

'L" shape implant is very popular (or rather used to be) because it is easy to insert, cheap, and results are predictable and rather consistent. The only difference is that it has a strut at the end that stands off which acts as the columella (between nostril) to give projection from the lateral view. However, this is a very dangerous implant because the skin cannot take the massive pressure from the extension. A big NO-NO for anyone.


u sure or not?!! i got frens who did L implants, after many years still ok.
I also did L implant, it has been a year and my nose is still ok.

L implant has been around for many years. By your account, there should be many people on streets with silicone sticking out of their nose...

My surgeon carved the L implant before insertion, how long we wanted the tip depended on own natural tip, whether the skin can take it or not.

2 of us did a longer tip because the surgeon said we could, another fren the skin at tip is thinner so had to be careful about the tip cannot extend much.

Generalising that L implants are NO NO for everyone sounds very far fetched...
Next: Forehead augmentation, botox, RF

who
Regular
Regular
Posts: 110
Joined: Mon, 19 Feb 2007

Postby who » Mon, 06 Aug 2007 2:44 am

L implant is ok if your surgeon knows what he is doing.

for the L implant. The L implant is not in charge of shaping the tip, although it goes there. If you go to a doctor that says that, you either are misunderstanding him, or need to run away. the strut, if used by a good surgeon, only serves two purposes: 1. collumella shaping 2. reduces mobility and displacement of implant.
If the L strut is not cut short enough, it should never extend all the way (many docs do extend it to shape the tip <--which is one of the biggest and most common misconception of L implant), you are asking for extrusion if it is not trimmed properly.
the pressure comes from the strut pushing up. Therefore the strut needs to be trimmed shorter.
Now, with I implant, you risk it shifting into different position over the years.

kwelll
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 194
Joined: Mon, 03 Apr 2006

Postby kwelll » Mon, 06 Aug 2007 8:25 am

aadvark wrote:
kwelll wrote:
Jang wrote:kwell, what's the different between I silicone implant & L silicone implant? Tks :wink:


"I" implant is used to augment primarily saddle nose deformity (huge deficient in the middle vulve of the nose, seen externally on the bridge) like "flat broad nose" with no or little structural support to the bridge. It is also used for people with cartilage on the tip but only wish to augment the bridge.

'L" shape implant is very popular (or rather used to be) because it is easy to insert, cheap, and results are predictable and rather consistent. The only difference is that it has a strut at the end that stands off which acts as the columella (between nostril) to give projection from the lateral view. However, this is a very dangerous implant because the skin cannot take the massive pressure from the extension. A big NO-NO for anyone.


u sure or not?!! i got frens who did L implants, after many years still ok.
I also did L implant, it has been a year and my nose is still ok.

L implant has been around for many years. By your account, there should be many people on streets with silicone sticking out of their nose...

My surgeon carved the L implant before insertion, how long we wanted the tip depended on own natural tip, whether the skin can take it or not.

2 of us did a longer tip because the surgeon said we could, another fren the skin at tip is thinner so had to be careful about the tip cannot extend much.

Generalising that L implants are NO NO for everyone sounds very far fetched...


I[color=blue] think I have said enough on the "L" shape implant and "who" has took the words out of mouth [color=blue][b](or rather copied the whole text from another forum by someone else)
and explained it in greater detail. Whether you think its far fetched or not is up to you, I can understand where you are coming from since you have an "L" implant up your nose but the question is how long this implant is going to last and it if really serves its purpose. You are right to confess that it also depends on the natural thickness of your nasal skin, so are we then playing with fire ? ie. (Lets hope it will not happen to me because I have thick skin!) ? As far as I know, many top surgeons worldwide do not have much good things to say about the L implant one of the reasons is that it looks artificial and I think so, too !

I am still of the opinion that many surgeons still use them because they are readily available, cheap, easy to insert and a very simple "nose job" (and still charge your top dollars!!) [b]as opposed to the whole works of in depth "RHINOPLASTY".
[color=red][b]
Again, it is one's choice and decision only but I feel education is most important.
[/color]
Last edited by kwelll on Mon, 06 Aug 2007 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Aesthetic Enhancement & Cosmetic Surgery”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests