Singapore Expats Forum

Singaporeans and Caucasians

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.

Sponsored by:
Image
AE Logistics - Movers & Storage

Swiss Compatriot

Postby Swiss Compatriot » Sat, 27 Nov 2004 10:58 pm

Servus Marc, to judge by the name you might b a Swiss compatriot, arent you? So am I. Concerning your experience here in Singapore you are quite right.
But why on earth do you waste time with elaborating whether and why locals laugh or giggle at white people?
WHO CARES? We cant look that funny after all its them who go for plastic surgery to look like us. Really, stop wasting time dwelling upon this issue. Have great fun in Singapore and the Girls! A Bientot!

Guest

Postby Guest » Sun, 28 Nov 2004 1:38 am

nosy wrote:Your brain seems flatter than your nose. Nobody suggested we dont have these sort of problems in Aussieland. But the forums issue here is about Spore!!!!??? Make suggestions for problem solving instead of desperately pointing fingers.
That wont fix Spores neither Australias problems.

So Relax and dont be so sensitive like a flower.


Hey Nosy
Heard of the saying,people in glass houses shouldnt throw stones?
Well it applies to you. Sure Singapore has problems with the race issue. No one is denying it. But to say what you say shows your superficial reading of the situation. The racism that exists here relates to the grumbles you get about Chinese vs Indians vs Malays etc. It is do more with innuendo rather than ostensible acts. Whereas OZ is not just innunendo, there are ostensible acts as well. So it is nothing to do with Sing being better than oz or vice versa, its got to do with to each his own and Sing I do believe has a better model to deal with it than Oz and the place is growing up quickly spurred on by developments in the world and the region. The Press for one is far more interntaional and cosmopolitan in outlook than any of the Oz papers which tend to have a more parochial outlook. There is little debate of these issues in Oz and what little there is does not engage the mainstream as much as it does here. I am not saying all this to make it seem that Sing should rest on its laurels. But I do believe that we are on the right track although we do have our frogs in wells as you so rightly put it. Everything has to be seen in its own context

Clowns

Postby Clowns » Sun, 28 Nov 2004 6:18 pm

marc webber wrote:welcome to everybody,

lots of friends reinforced my impression that an increasing number of Singaporean
try to make you feel uncomfortable in the
public by laughing once they see a
caucasian. They try hard to irritate you whenever possible...
Is that a false perception or did you make similar experiences?


So what? At the end of the day they are the ones who make a fool out of themselves. I dont deal with these sort of silly...if it make those inferior folks feel a little better they are most welcome.

Guest

Postby Guest » Sun, 28 Nov 2004 7:12 pm

marc webber wrote:welcome to everybody,

lots of friends reinforced my impression that an increasing number of Singaporean
try to make you feel uncomfortable in the
public by laughing once they see a
caucasian. They try hard to irritate you whenever possible...
Is that a false perception or did you make similar experiences?


HEY MARC.ITS NOT IRRITATING ITS AMUSING :wink: .
SUCH BEHAVIOUR IS A CRY FOR ATTENTION :cry: .

Spore Values

Postby Spore Values » Sun, 28 Nov 2004 8:06 pm

Anonymous wrote:
marc webber wrote:welcome to everybody,

lots of friends reinforced my impression that an increasing number of Singaporean
try to make you feel uncomfortable in the
public by laughing once they see a
caucasian. They try hard to irritate you whenever possible...
Is that a false perception or did you make similar experiences?


HEY MARC.ITS NOT IRRITATING ITS AMUSING :wink: .
SUCH BEHAVIOUR IS A CRY FOR ATTENTION :cry: .


Well, I think those locals cant take the fact that Singapore cant survive without foreigners. Thats a hard pill to swallow for some locals. The feeling of dependency bothers them.
Singaporean need to define themselves in terms of values not along racial lines. Values like personal achievement, respect and so on.

Frankie

Postby Frankie » Sun, 28 Nov 2004 9:13 pm

Spore Values wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
marc webber wrote:welcome to everybody,

lots of friends reinforced my impression that an increasing number of Singaporean
try to make you feel uncomfortable in the
public by laughing once they see a
caucasian. They try hard to irritate you whenever possible...
Is that a false perception or did you make similar experiences?


HEY MARC.ITS NOT IRRITATING ITS AMUSING :wink: .
SUCH BEHAVIOUR IS A CRY FOR ATTENTION :cry: .


Well, I think those locals cant take the fact that Singapore cant survive without foreigners. Thats a hard pill to swallow for some locals. The feeling of dependency bothers them.
Singaporean need to define themselves in terms of values not along racial lines. Values like personal achievement, respect and so on.


Noway!!!!!!! For some reason they feel powerless and inferior to white people.
Funny thing is they are not inferior but through their behaviour they become exactly that.INFERIOR.

kate36

Postby kate36 » Mon, 29 Nov 2004 9:38 pm

hello everybody: remember the old school days.
Take a young schoolboy envying his schoolmate.
Take another young schoolboy being attracted by a girl.
Think what???
Of course he denied being jealous of the boy. He denied being attracted by the girl. Instead of making friends with them - he tried everything to make fun of them in order to prop up his shattered self-esteem and because of his inability to handle those feelings.
Here we go.
Looking from an adult perspective its just childish and we might feel sorry for this poor little boy.
Lesson to be learned dear Marc:
Feel sorry and dont take them serious. Their self-confidence and self-esteem didnt grow up. They are trapped in a childrens body with a childrens self-esteem.

Guest

Postby Guest » Tue, 30 Nov 2004 11:16 am

jpatokal wrote:
Stamford Raffles wrote:Can all forumites learn to be a little more civilized? I hope everyone knows what "civilized" means...at the very least, I hope so.

A load of off-topic rubbish (about 3 pages worth) has been carted off to Rubbish. Remember folks, this thread is supposed to be about Singaporeans and Caucasians (or at least expats), not the respective merits of your favorite race.



That’s very Singaporean of you removing certain comments you find undesirable for our expat’s ears. You are not doing anyone a favor by filtering what they should or should not hear. If fact, you are treating them with disrespect; akin to save children from hearing four letter words.

I’m sure the expats want to make up their minds based on the truth about Singapore – those misfit comments you’ve removed ARE what true Singaporeans are facing.

Please, for the sake of ‘freedom of speech’ don’t be a disciplinarian.

Thank you.

LOSERS TAKE NOTE

Postby LOSERS TAKE NOTE » Tue, 30 Nov 2004 1:37 pm

isn't it strange that SECURE expats have no problem with making new friends in a new country , whether local or expats friends like our english friend earlier..
while the losers will generally gripe and whine about every other thing BUT themselves... learn, adapt and grow up!
ITS HOW YOU PERCEIVED THE WORLD BABY!!!
thank GOD there are still some mature expats around
to the locals, let the silly juvenile ones learn to grow up, until then they deserve the life and frustration they face for their stupidity.

ahhh the stupidity / immaturity of youth...

got better things to do then spend my time dealing with losers.



kate36 wrote:hello everybody: remember the old school days.
Take a young schoolboy envying his schoolmate.
Take another young schoolboy being attracted by a girl.
Think what???
Of course he denied being jealous of the boy. He denied being attracted by the girl. Instead of making friends with them - he tried everything to make fun of them in order to prop up his shattered self-esteem and because of his inability to handle those feelings.
Here we go.
Looking from an adult perspective its just childish and we might feel sorry for this poor little boy.
Lesson to be learned dear Marc:
Feel sorry and dont take them serious. Their self-confidence and self-esteem didnt grow up. They are trapped in a childrens body with a childrens self-esteem.

User avatar
Buchanan
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun, 28 Nov 2004
Location: On m' way!

Postby Buchanan » Tue, 30 Nov 2004 3:04 pm

Seems like living in Singapore will be a definite challenge, so hold on to your proverbs, I'm a comin'!!!

I love the diversity of nations and languages, of people's age, nature, class and status. I have been a wandering, but working, nomad/emigrant (aka expatriat = expat - what a horrible word!) for over 10-years now, in both Europe and the Asia-Pacific region, and I have never been happier. Sure, peeps (= people, lah!) can sometimes be hard towards and rightfully wary of these white-fleshed, red-faced foriegners coming in with their wide-eyed and confused expressions on their faces! Sure, its funny!!! :D But, nevertheless, it sure is a life-experience and what is the point of having "life" if not to experience it? :P

But, sure enough these peeps that originated from the Caucasian hills of Russia are taking the jobs of the locals, of the native peeps. But, who is really native to the land-mass they are on, anyways? He he, OK, but how is this allowed? I have one word.... "edumacation"... we be edumacated, right? Like i said in another post:

"I have TWO words... 'keep...IT....Real' ... but 'IT' ain't a real word, 'n-it?" [c/o Ali G]

My policy is to be gracious to others, to be respectful, to be understanding, to be humourous, to be less-self-obsessed, to be realisitic, to be positive. Although I hope that these intentions will be reciprocated, I do not expect it. This is my filtering system. If people are not flexible enough to fit into my filters, they do not get through and become a good-friend. We all have filters like this, no?!

Negativity is an easy path to follow – so why not take a chance and challenge yourself and be optimistic and absorb all cultures. Sure, it will be difficult. People are people, wherever or whomever you or they are. Some peeps can be right obnoxious – but why take it personally, to the heart, for evermore, until you die a thousand such deaths in spirit?

So my message is to keep on ranting and "edumacate" yoursel'.

Don’t be an 'accidental occident in the orient' or a 'blazing asian-caucasian', but merely try to just be your humble self and have a laugh!!!

Cheers me dears.

RESPECT :wink:

Oh, I have a post-script! PS: If you are a hardened Celt like I, then from whence did you commence, out of interest ??? --> see the poll here if you so desire!!!
I always cheque fur speelling mistakes and other such errorz... ;)

Guest

Postby Guest » Tue, 30 Nov 2004 8:33 pm

Hey you are obviously not Pat Buchanan, arent you? Liberal and reasonable point of view.

shane

Postby shane » Tue, 30 Nov 2004 9:16 pm

ja40 wrote:--spent here altogether more than 10 years...its getting worse....looking forward to leave by next year
sure enough you gotta point here marc------


U should reconsider your decision to leave.Yes there are certainly better places around for expats with less mocking against foreigners but as many pointed out in this forum:
Its a matter of personality and style hence its their not your problem OK?? :D

Dont leave!

Postby Dont leave! » Tue, 30 Nov 2004 10:18 pm

shane wrote:
ja40 wrote:--spent here altogether more than 10 years...its getting worse....looking forward to leave by next year
sure enough you gotta point here marc------


U should reconsider your decision to leave.Yes there are certainly better places around for expats with less mocking against foreigners but as many pointed out in this forum:
Its a matter of personality and style hence its their not your problem OK?? :D


Hey dont leave us alone :( !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

chan

Postby chan » Thu, 02 Dec 2004 6:00 pm

Dont leave! wrote:
shane wrote:
ja40 wrote:--spent here altogether more than 10 years...its getting worse....looking forward to leave by next year
sure enough you gotta point here marc------


U should reconsider your decision to leave.Yes there are certainly better places around for expats with less mocking against foreigners but as many pointed out in this forum:
Its a matter of personality and style hence its their not your problem OK?? :D


Hey dont leave us alone :( !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Get real.It cant be that bad in the lion city.

Singapore Voice

Postby Singapore Voice » Thu, 02 Dec 2004 7:12 pm

Dont leave! wrote:
shane wrote:
ja40 wrote:--spent here altogether more than 10 years...its getting worse....looking forward to leave by next year
sure enough you gotta point here marc------


U should reconsider your decision to leave.Yes there are certainly better places around for expats with less mocking against foreigners but as many pointed out in this forum:
Its a matter of personality and style hence its their not your problem OK?? :D


Hey dont leave us alone :( !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!





Dear Caucasians-All of you are most welcome to leave-feel free.Yours sincerely. :D :D :D


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Staying, Living in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests