Singapore Expats

Singaporeans and Caucasians

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
marc

Singaporeans and Caucasians

Post by marc » Mon, 04 Aug 2003 1:00 pm

welcome to everybody,

lots of friends reinforced my impression that an increasing number of Singaporean
try to make you feel uncomfortable in the
public by laughing once they see a
caucasian. They try hard to irritate you whenever possible...
Is that a false perception or did you make similar experiences?

stratus
Regular
Regular

Post by stratus » Mon, 04 Aug 2003 1:45 pm

hi Marc, im a singaporean, i think its a wrong perception that u have. I felt that the number of caucasian in singapore are on the raise, and my fellow countryman has already take foreigners or caucasian as a part of our society. Hmm maybe u are over reacting or sensitive towards this.
As for me, i felt that caucasian are the better people around as compared to singaporean.

harmony

Post by harmony » Mon, 04 Aug 2003 2:02 pm

Hi Marc,

Singapore's very multi racial and cosmopilitan, never been the case that people are racist against caucasians. In fact, they have already become a part of the country. Mutil racial marriages are a common sight in spore too

Hope u enjoy ur stay here. :)

multicultural

Post by multicultural » Mon, 04 Aug 2003 3:16 pm

I don't think Singaporeans as a whole are racists. If anything, there is because of its colonial history, a bias that favours caucasians rather than the reverse. I think what you are encountering now is a superficial reaction that has arisen from economic uncertainties and job losses in recent years. In general, Singaporeans are welcoming of foreigners and especially so of the caucasian variety. So relax and enjoy your Singaporean friends and try to disabuse them of the wrong idea that you've come here to replace them or their compatriots of their job. :cool:

G_T

Post by G_T » Tue, 05 Aug 2003 2:44 pm

In any part of the world, there's gonna be racism, whether u like it anot.
Like what the others have said earlier, its just a minority of Singaporeans who are like that, maybe your friends can chill out a bit.

Cheerios..

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed, 06 Aug 2003 3:31 am

Sorry marc, have to edit the topic. Cos "racist" is a sensitive and heavy word in this forum.

We always promote multi-national, multi-cultural cohesiveness and integrity in this forum and of cos in Singapore. Singapore itself is a "rojak pot" ... everything blends to form the unique Singapore taste.

Cheers! :D
Administrator for Singapore Expats Forum

"Singapore guide on expat relocation, living, housing. Property classifieds of Singapore apartments & houses for Rent or Sale"

eric

Post by eric » Tue, 19 Aug 2003 12:30 pm

Hi Marc,

I fully agree with you I do experience the same daily as do lots of my friends...
Fortunately there are still self confident and cosmopolitan people around here (see respondents) but it seems they are rather a minority these days...

Cheers

optikphyber

Post by optikphyber » Thu, 21 Aug 2003 9:20 am

Guest wrote:Hi Marc,

I fully agree with you I do experience the same daily as do lots of my friends...
Fortunately there are still self confident and cosmopolitan people around here (see respondents) but it seems they are rather a minority these days...

Cheers
my goodness, are you serious?

if it's really true that some singaporeans giggle at the fact that you're caucasian, just disregard them. it's pure childish behaviour.

there are tonnes more singaporeans out there who consider caucasians/foreigners part of the society here!

and for that matter, welcome to singapore *bows*

cheers

jones

Post by jones » Sun, 24 Aug 2003 9:02 pm

I come from U.K. So far so good for me, I love Singapore and the people are rather warm.

mc

Post by mc » Mon, 01 Sep 2003 12:09 pm

youre right man...but who cares...personally I enjoy the attention haha...I am rather getting mad at folks who ignore me...

Enjoy your stay!!!

z90

Post by z90 » Fri, 05 Sep 2003 12:02 pm

Ignore!

steve

Post by steve » Fri, 05 Sep 2003 12:23 pm

My wife and me love it down here. However our two sons facing similar "problems".
Well, rather appears to be some kind of jealousy directed to the younger generations of caucs.
Anyway the boys are good looking and self confident they dont care. There gonna be always jealous people around and if you gotta a little bit of brains you realize that they only humiliate themselves by displaying some kind of inferiority complex. Lets pray for them.

stratus
Regular
Regular

Post by stratus » Sat, 06 Sep 2003 6:26 am

I totally agree with u steve. i just find those whom used a different mindset to view expats as simply immatured. After all Singapore is a multi racial society. And y are expats the being treated differently.

francois

Post by francois » Mon, 08 Sep 2003 1:32 pm

Hi Marc,

I am a frenchman and recently moved to Spore. I was indeed not very positivly suprised by what you call childish behaviour...I would call it rensentment. I wouldnt have expect that from a city trying to play in the same leaque like New York, London or Paris. Silly and pityful those folks arent they??? To all other Sporean stay as you are a global city needs people wit high levels of confidence and cross cultural competancy...not children who cant hide their resentment or jealosy call it as you want.

Au revoir a tous and B

ja40

Post by ja40 » Mon, 08 Sep 2003 2:04 pm

--spent here altogether more than 10 years...its getting worse....looking forward to leave by next year
sure enough you gotta point here marc------