Singapore Expats

Singaporeans and Caucasians

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
westernclub

Post by westernclub » Fri, 28 Nov 2003 3:45 pm

Mic, put it this way being a caucasian you need a thick skin over here in Spore. That doesnt mean you should reject a good job opportunity; just be prepared to some.. welllll.. kind of weird and silly behaviour towards caucasians...but not all Sporean are like that. Apart from it welcome any western support down here hhehehe
C Ya

diverling

Tolerance

Post by diverling » Fri, 28 Nov 2003 5:00 pm

I'm a Singaporean who has lived overseas, as a student and an expat. I think it's sufficient to say that it is not so different out there.

In every country, there are rude, narrow minded people who cannot accept people who do not look or think like them. If you are living in a foreign country, you need to be careful not to behave like them. Hey, and if you don't like it, stop whining and go home! :) I'm home now......

Singapore is far far from perfect - I really wish for a stronger opposition party, a more open society and more SPACE!

StaRaffles

Not on my radar

Post by StaRaffles » Sun, 30 Nov 2003 9:32 pm

I'm European, I lived in SP for 4 years and still visit the island twice a year, every year. Never have I ever felt so much as a twinge of awkward bevavior, let alone anything resembling resentment from the locals. It's just not on my radar at all, never even contemplated the 'race' issue.

In fact, whilst this thread was being posted, I was in Singapore, happy as ever, not a problem in sight. Oh, sure every now and again a local guy sends me a funky look. But I get that kind of thing back home also occasionally. No reason to think that it's race-related, I reckon.

My next trip is in February 2004; Í wonder if anything has changed since my last stay....

P.S. Congrats BTW on the all-new look of the Singapore Expats site. I also noticed that problematic posts are dealt with more discretely now. I take off my hat to the moderators.

Regards,

StaRaffles

Pal
Site Admin
Site Admin
Answers: 1

Re: Not on my radar

Post by Pal » Sun, 30 Nov 2003 10:44 pm

StaRaffles wrote:P.S. Congrats BTW on the all-new look of the Singapore Expats site. I also noticed that problematic posts are dealt with more discretely now. I take off my hat to the moderators.

Regards,

StaRaffles
Thank you for the compliments. We are constantly trying our very best to improve both the website and the forum. We hope all forum visitors will recommend more friends to join in the discussions.

We will be launching a contest with attractive prizes for our local and expats community. Do come back in one or two week's time to check the index page.

Once again, enjoy your stay here!
Singapore Expats

Home | Classifieds | Condo | Forum | Property

Boon Chun

Post by Boon Chun » Tue, 02 Dec 2003 8:07 pm

Hello StaRaffles,

I am a Singaporean. Unfortunately there are (many) Singaporean who do laugh about caucasians for a variety of reasons (I did some kind of survey/research). But as some writers mentioned its rather levelled at younger generation. Jealousy might play a part in some cases. Anyway I am happy to hear that you have been spared so far. There are plenty of good guys around (like me!!!!).
Have a nice stay next time around and take care.

Regards to Europe!

Post by Guest » Tue, 02 Dec 2003 9:39 pm

Hi Boon Chun,

I'm pretty surprised to read your poll results. As I mentioned earlier, in all the years I stayed in SP, I never felt singled out as a result of my being Caucasian, even when I was at UWC. Perhaps my tan threw off those guys that do all the giggling ;-)

Actually, I feel it could conceivably be the somewhat aloof attitude of some of the expats that provokes these incidents. You see, I noticed pretty soon after arriving in SP, that there's always some toffee-nosed expats here or there that walk around like they own the place. Truth be told, that would tickle my funny-bone also.

Then again, it could also be some of the ridiculous attire that some of the tourists wear. Oh brother, have they no shame? At times I feel quite embarrassed to be on the same street. :oops:

Whatever the reasons, I'm convinced there's far, far more good guys in SP. Which is why I've just booked another trip for early next year. :D

On that note, could you perhaps tell me how far the upgrade has progressed of the ECSC food stalls? This place used to be called "Rendez-vous" hawker centre (it was torn down about a year ago). I've tried locating the project status online - to no avail. It's my favorite spot for grabbing a bite to eat, but it's been down for 2 trips already. :(

Maybe you've got any tips for us on how to get an insight? I'm hoping it's back up by the time I'm around.

Regards back to you!

SR

Brit4

Post by Brit4 » Thu, 04 Dec 2003 3:47 pm

How you doin Marc,

Indeed its difficult to deny that we come across that kind of silly stuff. Focus on the positive aspects down here and you still can have a great time. All right man?

Cheers.

kitty

agree!

Post by kitty » Thu, 04 Dec 2003 7:57 pm

I agree with Brit4,

Focusing on the positive stuff will make us feel and work better, some people are just out to annoy...we just take it with a stride and eventually find that 'those kind of people' just blend in with the environment... :roll:

kitty

Post by kitty » Thu, 04 Dec 2003 8:00 pm

SR,

Where was the "Rendez-vous" hawker centre that you were referring to? :roll:

prettyfat

Post by prettyfat » Thu, 04 Dec 2003 10:29 pm

Christ, I thought people laugh about my fats here.
Back home I never had folks trying to ridicule me just coz I am 13kg overweight. Here people seem to have a problem with my fats - the reason could be that I am a westener. Probably combination of both (overweight/caucasian).
Christmas approaching, guess its time for some sort of diet anyway.

Post by Guest » Fri, 05 Dec 2003 12:28 am

Hi Kitty,

Remember where they used to fly those little war-kites on Sundays? I'm talking years ago, so it may be before your time in SP. Also, if you remember, it's where the ECSC Lagoon is at. (Actually, it's more of a sad, deserted pond at the moment.)

It's where a lot of people go cycling and in-lining on the weekends, as there's a rental shop right there.

Also, there's a windsurf club (I used to be a member) as well as a Pasta Fresca right inside its compound. I reckon it's a couple of miles down from The Big Splash, or what's left of it, as you head toward Changi.

It was a rather quaint and fairly run-down, but bustling food stall. In fact, you used to have to wait by the tables to get a seat. The dishes were absolutely delicious, even for Singapore standards.

I hope you can find out how far along the upgrade has gotten by now. Fingers crossed.

Many thanks!

SR

singa

Post by singa » Sun, 07 Dec 2003 4:32 pm

Singapore Law does not prohibit to laugh about caucasians, so whats this fuss all about. Again the former colonial powers try to dictate us what to do and how to behave. It does not work this way these days.

Support

Post by Support » Sun, 07 Dec 2003 5:28 pm

Singa, absolutely, couldnt agree more!!!

jad

Post by jad » Tue, 09 Dec 2003 8:56 am

Singa, I personally can't wait to get back to Sng next August ( I now live in Australia)...my main value in life is to RESPECT, I give and recieve respect...but also I know where and when to turn a 'blind eye'.

Sng is a fab place...I was a bit concerned with all the working girls gathering on Orchid Road...I personally think they were better placed 'out of sight' of the main shopping area...otherwise I loved the country every bit as much as when I lived there 20 years ago!

I am always reccommending Sng to friends as a great place to visit!
and welcome all Singaporeans with open arms...even the cheeky ones lah!

whatsthat?

Post by whatsthat? » Tue, 09 Dec 2003 5:10 pm

Jad, your main value in life is respect? The next sentence you go on to complain about working girls in the shopping area - even suggesting they should be placed out of sight (like they are second class or 'non humans'). Thats silly. did you ever see an educational institution from inside?

THen you go on to say you welcome all Singaporeans with open arms (in Australia? in Singapore?).

Apparently youre an Asian who migrated Australia - thats fine ; but evaluating your reply there is no link whatsoever to this topic. Nice try anyway.

:!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: