Singapore Expats Forum

American Living Outside SG Applying for PR Through Wife's PR

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:
Image
The Club Residences

CScottG
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed, 20 Sep 2017

American Living Outside SG Applying for PR Through Wife's PR

Postby CScottG » Wed, 20 Sep 2017 4:38 pm

I am marrying a PR this month. She lives and works in SG and I don't. I am currently employed outside SG and well paid with advanced degrees (I have never worked or been employed in SG). We are thinking to apply to for PR through her to help my chances to find employment. Any thoughts on PR getting approved under such circumstances? Input appreciated

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9812
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: American Living Outside SG Applying for PR Through Wife's PR

Postby ecureilx » Wed, 20 Sep 2017 7:22 pm

CScottG wrote:I am marrying a PR this month. She lives and works in SG and I don't. I am currently employed outside SG and well paid with advanced degrees (I have never worked or been employed in SG). We are thinking to apply to for PR through her to help my chances to find employment. Any thoughts on PR getting approved under such circumstances? Input appreciated
Difficult

Unless you are prepared for a 99% rejection, don't bother applying.

Better get here, get long term pass.

PR isn't easy to come by unless your spouse is a citizen or you have been married for 3 years AND you have been here for a while.

What passport does your spouse hold?

User avatar
singaporeflyer
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1565
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009

Re: American Living Outside SG Applying for PR Through Wife's PR

Postby singaporeflyer » Wed, 20 Sep 2017 7:25 pm

ecureilx wrote:
CScottG wrote:I am marrying a PR this month. She lives and works in SG and I don't. I am currently employed outside SG and well paid with advanced degrees (I have never worked or been employed in SG). We are thinking to apply to for PR through her to help my chances to find employment. Any thoughts on PR getting approved under such circumstances? Input appreciated
Difficult

Unless you are prepared for a 99% rejection, don't bother applying.

Better get here, get long term pass.

PR isn't easy to come by unless your spouse is a citizen or you have been married for 3 years AND you have been here for a while.

What passport does your spouse hold?


You are wrong. 100% rejection

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9812
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: American Living Outside SG Applying for PR Through Wife's PR

Postby ecureilx » Wed, 20 Sep 2017 7:37 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:
ecureilx wrote:
CScottG wrote:I am marrying a PR this month. She lives and works in SG and I don't. I am currently employed outside SG and well paid with advanced degrees (I have never worked or been employed in SG). We are thinking to apply to for PR through her to help my chances to find employment. Any thoughts on PR getting approved under such circumstances? Input appreciated
Difficult

Unless you are prepared for a 99% rejection, don't bother applying.

Better get here, get long term pass.

PR isn't easy to come by unless your spouse is a citizen or you have been married for 3 years AND you have been here for a while.

What passport does your spouse hold?


You are wrong. 100% rejection
Ouch

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35219
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Re: American Living Outside SG Applying for PR Through Wife's PR

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 20 Sep 2017 9:23 pm

OP, all is not lost.

If your spouse is a PR, come here, get an LTVP or LTVP+ (as your spouse is a PR it will probably be an LTVP) if so, take it. It will probably be good for 12 months before it needs to be renewed. This will give you the right to exist here on a residential basis as opposed to a tourist. Once here you can start doing you job search in earnest. If you can find a job you can have the employer apply for an LoC (Letter of Consent) so you can work. From ICA FAQs.....

12. Visitor Services >> Visit Pass
I am an LTVP holder and not an LTVP+ holder, can I apply for an LOC if I intend to work in Singapore?

Spouses of SC/PR on LTVP are eligible for LOC from 1st Feb 2015.


Go for it.

sms

CScottG
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed, 20 Sep 2017

Re: American Living Outside SG Applying for PR Through Wife's PR

Postby CScottG » Wed, 20 Sep 2017 10:16 pm

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. 0.5% were some pretty great odds. To answer the earlier question she is Malaysian Chinese.

So having an LTVP and getting the employer to issue an LOC is easier/less restrictions/less red tape than an Employment Pass? I talking with some companies and will be most likely changing industries so want to keep the hurdles to as minimum as possible for an offer to come through.

Thanks again for the feedback.

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9812
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: American Living Outside SG Applying for PR Through Wife's PR

Postby ecureilx » Thu, 21 Sep 2017 7:58 am

CScottG wrote:Thanks to everyone for the feedback. 0.5% were some pretty great odds. To answer the earlier question she is Malaysian Chinese.

So having an LTVP and getting the employer to issue an LOC is easier/less restrictions/less red tape than an Employment Pass? I talking with some companies and will be most likely changing industries so want to keep the hurdles to as minimum as possible for an offer to come through.

Thanks again for the feedback.
Take note, of late, LOCs are also being throttled. So it's not a walk in the park....

Reasons for that are many.

Take it easy, since you are committed to moving to Singapore..

CScottG
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed, 20 Sep 2017

Re: American Living Outside SG Applying for PR Through Wife's PR

Postby CScottG » Thu, 21 Sep 2017 8:12 am

Thanks for the feedback. Seems employment through EP or PR (low chance) are my options. I am not quitting my job to come there, just looking for ways to make it easier. I am in China and not the place to start a family, not getting any younger :)

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9812
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: American Living Outside SG Applying for PR Through Wife's PR

Postby ecureilx » Thu, 21 Sep 2017 9:32 am

CScottG wrote:Thanks for the feedback. Seems employment through EP or PR (low chance) are my options. I am not quitting my job to come there, just looking for ways to make it easier. I am in China and not the place to start a family, not getting any younger :)


If you had married a Citizen, your options would have been more ..

Can't change that, right ? :D :D Pun intended.

bgd
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1411
Joined: Wed, 25 Jul 2007

Re: American Living Outside SG Applying for PR Through Wife's PR

Postby bgd » Thu, 21 Sep 2017 9:40 am

If you meet the salary criteria (18K per month I think) your other option is a PEP. It's like a PR in that it isn't tied to a job but only lasts 3 years and is not renewable. When it expires you need to move onto an EP, etc.

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9325
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Re: American Living Outside SG Applying for PR Through Wife's PR

Postby x9200 » Thu, 21 Sep 2017 9:46 am

bgd wrote:If you meet the salary criteria (18K per month I think) your other option is a PEP. It's like a PR in that it isn't tied to a job but only lasts 3 years and is not renewable.

...and you will need to secure a job within 6 months after receiving it.

CScottG
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed, 20 Sep 2017

Re: American Living Outside SG Applying for PR Through Wife's PR

Postby CScottG » Thu, 21 Sep 2017 10:08 am

Thanks again to you all for all the help, very useful information.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Relocating, Moving to Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests