Singapore Expats

Agent is asking brokerage after we moved in

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
asey

Re: Agent is asking brokerage after we moved in

Post by asey » Fri, 15 Sep 2017 1:53 pm

@ecurelix
Yes, I don't think we will try to find out what went wrong between them. not our concern.

There were 2-3 lights which were not working the day we moved in which the agent himself had notified to us. The day he handed over the invoice of agent fee to me, he had got someone to inspect those things to be fixed. Now he will come with the guy again to get them fixed and that's when he will again discuss this.

Because we are not legally bound, we will deny paying 50% as well.

Search By

rarkins
Regular
Regular

Post by rarkins » Fri, 15 Sep 2017 2:35 pm

I suggest trying to get the "full story" from the agent first before you contact the LL directly - knowledge is power, plus the agent might get annoyed if/once he finds out you have gone around him and be unwilling to tell you more.

I know you said:
Yes, I don't think we will try to find out what went wrong between them. not our concern.
But I think it *is* your concern if it turns out that your LL is an unethical person as I guarantee you it would not be the last unethical thing they do.

Also, make sure it's very clear from the LL about who is their official representative for you to contact - is it LL or the agent? For example if he says over the phone to email photos to the agent but 2 years later claims that wasn't his agent and he never got photos.

asey

Post by asey » Fri, 15 Sep 2017 2:44 pm

yes, this is a question now that whom should we contact for future concerns?
Offcourse we will clear things up with the agent before contacting the LL. But I don't really think that the agent would reveal that there was a problem and he was not paid by the LL as he is trying to get the fee from us.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sat, 16 Sep 2017 7:37 am

rarkins wrote:I suggest trying to get the "full story" from the agent first before you contact the LL directly - knowledge is power, plus the agent might get annoyed if/once he finds out you have gone around him and be unwilling to tell you more.

I know you said:
But I think it *is* your concern if it turns out that your LL is an unethical person as I guarantee you it would not be the last unethical thing they do.

Also, make sure it's very clear from the LL about who is their official representative for you to contact - is it LL or the agent? For example if he says over the phone to email photos to the agent but 2 years later claims that wasn't his agent and he never got photos.
And I thought I used to scare the crap out some folks Image

knowledge is power.. Right!!!!! Not

But I realised getting educated in somebody's problem inevitably makes you obligated to do the natural follow up, in this case, if you hear the agent had a bad deal, true or not, assumption is you gonna help out there.

Not me.. If I am not gonna fix your problem, I don't want to know how you got into the situation first.

Again, in Asia, if you wanna know another person's trouble, you are expected to do something.

Did the Agent really get a bad deal from LL?
I doubt it ! If not, why didn't the Agent walk away?

Truth, times are bad.

Peace
asey wrote:yes, this is a question now that whom should we contact for future concerns?
Offcourse we will clear things up with the agent before contacting the LL. But I don't really think that the agent would reveal that there was a problem and he was not paid by the LL as he is trying to get the fee from us.
Times are bad, rental market is down, gone are the days agents only worked on weekends, agents have to drive Uber or Grab ..

Need I say more?
Last edited by ecureilx on Sat, 16 Sep 2017 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.