Singapore Expats

Steps to take to marry a Malaysian man (wp holder working in Singapore)

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Lostsoul

Re: Steps to take to marry a Malaysian man (wp holder working in Singapore)

Post by Lostsoul » Thu, 14 Sep 2017 3:42 pm

niceit198 wrote:likely not , but most bigger effect i could guess is the future application like PR even for LTVP
zxcv32 wrote:
ecureilx wrote: Those who have been banned, from my experience, are those who were on Maid Permit, (WP) and decided they must not listen to MOM.
So let's say if we were to apply and the MOM rejects us but we still go through with the marriage, he will most likely be banned?
please do not mislead others.

From the MOM Website http://www.mom.gov.sg/faq/foreign-worke ... t-resident

If you are required to seek approval but fail to do so, your privilege to work in Singapore could be withdrawn. You may also be prevented from entering Singapore for a period of time.

What was said about this by a former Senior Parl Sec.

The Senior Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister for Manpower (Mr Hawazi Daipi) (for the Minister for Manpower): Sir, there are presently more than 500,000 foreign work permit holders in Singapore. To maintain our social equilibrium, these large numbers of foreign workers are allowed to work in Singapore only if they agree to our marriage restriction policy. Those who marry without approval will be repatriated and disallowed entry into Singapore. This is made clear to all foreign worker applicants who apply to work in Singapore. This strict enforcement is necessary to maintain this policy. Therefore, all current and ex-work permit holders are reminded to adhere to this pre-condition to which they have agreed upon.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 14 Sep 2017 4:04 pm

Lostsoul wrote: please do not mislead others.
Would have been nice if you clarified towards whom the above is directed to ...

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 14 Sep 2017 4:09 pm

niceit198 wrote:likely not , but most bigger effect i could guess is the future application like PR even for LTVP
zxcv32 wrote:
ecureilx wrote: Those who have been banned, from my experience, are those who were on Maid Permit, (WP) and decided they must not listen to MOM.
So let's say if we were to apply and the MOM rejects us but we still go through with the marriage, he will most likely be banned?
Wouldn't want to take that route.

If rejected, better appeal, and get approval.

SG inc has very long memory, even 10 years later minor infractions can come back to haunt you.

And of course, unlike other countries, you

a) don't know is causing the latest trauma, when you face it and,
b) next to impossible to find out how to fix it.

That's all from experience.

Lostsoul

Post by Lostsoul » Thu, 14 Sep 2017 4:25 pm

ecureilx wrote:
Lostsoul wrote: please do not mislead others.
Would have been nice if you clarified towards whom the above is directed to ...
haha - to niceit198

zxcv32

Post by zxcv32 » Sat, 16 Sep 2017 11:37 pm

niceit198 wrote: below are my comment my wife was sg citizen
Can i ask which year did you submit the marriage form, how long have you worked in singapore and roughly how much was your salary and combined salary?

SCmarriedtoMalaysian

Post by SCmarriedtoMalaysian » Wed, 20 Sep 2017 12:00 pm

Hello, I am a SC F married to a Malaysian WP.

I think our profiles are similar, I'm 23 and he's 28. Our (then) combined salaries are almost $5K.

Here's what we applied for:
MOM's approval - approved within a month
PMLTVP (Pre-marriage LTVP eligibility) - approved within a month
LTVP - approved in a week
currently: we are waiting to apply for his PR after our marriage turns 1

Hopefully my answers to your queries below will help.

- I know we will have to ask MOM for permission (and risk the chances of him being ban)
Yes, please apply for MOM's permission. I don't really understand why you include (and risk the chances of him being ban)? He will only get banned if you two went ahead with the marriage WITHOUT notifying MOM. Word is (not exactly reliable as supported only by friends) - they don't reject Malaysians' applications.

- As for housing in Singapore, i know we can purchase a flat as long as 1 of the spouse is Singaporean Citizen but if he is banned, it no longer an option as i would like for us to stay together.
Yes you can purchase a resale or a BTO. However, for BTO, you will need to reach 35 to purchase a 2-room. Alternatively, you can give birth to a SC child :D

- For housing in JB, we can't buy a house together as one is foreigner so that limits the options of buying a (bigger) house if he's no longer able to work in Singapore. If a foreigner were to buy a house in Malaysia(JB) the minimum cost of property would have to be RM 1 million and if we want to purchase a property together it would have to be RM 2 million (not too sure about the 2 mil).
Combined the both into one. As much as I was told, the Malaysian can buy house by himself. As he is working in Singapore (word is, again, not so reliable as not supported), he "definitely" is able to get a high loan for his property. However, if he were to get his PR and wishes to purchase a Singapore property, he has to sell off whatever property he has under his name.

I would like to know:
- Did people who have went through this buy a house? how?
We have yet to purchase a house. Before taking your relationship to another step, please consider your incomes. In the purchase process of a HDB as a SC/Foreigner couple, only the SC is listed as owner. Thus, only the SC's salary is taken into consideration for loan. In my case, my loan eligibility is only $150K, whereas my friends (same salary range, but both SC), can get a loan of $300K. When I ask HDB, the reason is because the foreigner is a "occupier" and "does not pay for the house". This loan amount requires us to fork out $50-100K CASH upon purchase (which is obviously not possible la, lol). Thus, we are waiting for him to obtain his PR first, so we can get a higher loan.

- Did they apply dual citizenship for their children?
No, in Singapore citizens can only take one citizenship.

- If i were to stay in JB and work in Singapore, do i need to declare anything? and who do i declare it to? Do i need and sort of visa to stay in JB?
Yes you need to get the residency permit. Not too sure how, but perhaps your bf should be the one checking it out with the Malaysian authority.

- Have you heard of any work related rules/difficulties(in the government sector) in marrying a foreigner or staying in JB?
Yes. As a WP holder, he risks having his WP revoked or cancelled (or if he resigns etc), he would not be able to stay in Singapore anymore.

- Are there any other things that i should be aware of?
Yes, please apply for his LTVP as it will prevent the above mentioned. LTVP will let him stay a minimal of 1 year (renewal required). However, LTVP holders require their employers to apply for a Letter of Consent to continue their work. Good news tho, employers of LTVP holders are not required to pay for their working levy -> increases employment chances.

zxcv32

Post by zxcv32 » Wed, 20 Sep 2017 11:19 pm

Thank you so much SCmarriedtoMalaysian! Greatly appreciate it!

SCmarriedtoMalaysian

Post by SCmarriedtoMalaysian » Thu, 21 Sep 2017 8:28 am

zxcv32 wrote:Thank you so much SCmarriedtoMalaysian! Greatly appreciate it!
Hope it's informative and good luck to you :D

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 21 Sep 2017 9:47 am

SCmarriedtoMalaysian wrote: - Did they apply dual citizenship for their children?
No, in Singapore citizens can only take one citizenship.
Excellent info.

For the above. ... Take note: Especially if the kid is a male, and has NS obligations. And, say, Malaysia does not allow dual citizens to server in other country armed forces.

Persons who are born outside of Singapore and have at least one parent who is a Singapore citizen may register with a Singapore consulate within a year to acquire Singapore citizenship by descent. However, such persons must renounce their foreign citizenship, if any, before reaching 22 years of age. .