Singapore Expats Forum

Cluelss in starting a business

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

Jean

Cluelss in starting a business

Postby Jean » Sun, 13 Feb 2005 8:57 pm

Anyone have read this book before? I just bought it today cause am planning to start a business in Singapore.

I only know this book are using lots of Singapore entrepreneur as examples after I bought it (it was packed in a poly bag in the bookstore.) I just want to know if someone out there have read this book before and find it useful?

I am not any of the authors of this book, so am not trying to sell anything in there. Actually am planning to apply Singapore PR this week, either get a job and start my own business. Am not try to measure which option I should go for.

Is there anyone out there have started a business in Singapore already? How does it compare when you were working in your own country or as an employee? What is the percentage of failure for new company?

Is any of you are importer or distributor in Singapore or any other countries that are looking for stationery, gifts, personal electronics or premium?

Entrepreneur

Postby Entrepreneur » Sun, 13 Feb 2005 10:18 pm

Hi Jean,

If I am not wrong, one of the authors of the book you bought is Adam Khoo izzit? He is really an inspiration to many including myself.

I am glad that you are exploring the idea to start your own business. If you are interested to find out how to go about to start your own business or even interested to network with people from various industries, you may visit www.bizlab.com.sg and call them at 62279350 to find out more.

I am sure they are able to provide assistance to you @ no or low cost.

Entrepreneur

regional_SEA

Re: Cluelss in starting a business

Postby regional_SEA » Mon, 14 Feb 2005 3:43 am

Jean wrote:Anyone have read this book before? I just bought it today cause am planning to start a business in Singapore.

I only know this book are using lots of Singapore entrepreneur as examples after I bought it (it was packed in a poly bag in the bookstore.) I just want to know if someone out there have read this book before and find it useful?

I am not any of the authors of this book, so am not trying to sell anything in there. Actually am planning to apply Singapore PR this week, either get a job and start my own business. Am not try to measure which option I should go for.

Is there anyone out there have started a business in Singapore already? How does it compare when you were working in your own country or as an employee? What is the percentage of failure for new company?

Is any of you are importer or distributor in Singapore or any other countries that are looking for stationery, gifts, personal electronics or premium?

If you are interested in International distribution business, please contact me @ regional_81127745@yahoo.com.sg

regional_SEA

Re: Cluelss in starting a business

Postby regional_SEA » Mon, 14 Feb 2005 3:44 am

Jean wrote:Anyone have read this book before? I just bought it today cause am planning to start a business in Singapore.

If you are interested in International distribution business, please contact me @ regional_81127745@yahoo.com.sg

Jean

Postby Jean » Mon, 14 Feb 2005 9:23 am

Hi Reginoal_Sea,

The International distributing business that you are referring to, what sort of products is it related to?

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Mon, 14 Feb 2005 10:08 am

Last edited by dot dot dot on Mon, 22 May 2006 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Mon, 14 Feb 2005 10:10 pm

Jean,

If you want to start a business, I think it is real necessary to be crystal clear on a couple of points.

What business do you want to start? It better be something that excites you, makes you want to get up everyday, or you'll never do all that needs to be done, and you'll never have the creative juices that it takes to make it successful.

Another reason you need to know what you want to do is so that you can do some research in markets, market segments, competition, and the like. You asked about the percentage of business failures. I don't know, but I do know that the ones that fail did not accurately establish markets, branding, and sales approaches; neither did they accurately estimate costs of start up, distribution, HR, back office support, and the many other things it takes to make a business go.

Good luck. Starting and owning a business is great. It takes faith and work and planning but it can be done.