Singapore Expats

Expat Salaries Falling Article

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Expat Salaries Falling Article

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 07 Sep 2017 11:44 pm

duluoz1 wrote:Any ideas where you'll head to next PNGMK?
Probably the US - my wife is American and my skills are in reasonable demand there.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

duluoz1

Post by duluoz1 » Thu, 07 Sep 2017 11:47 pm

PNGMK wrote:
duluoz1 wrote:Any ideas where you'll head to next PNGMK?
Probably the US - my wife is American and my skills are in reasonable demand there.
Sounds like a plan. Sorry for being nosy, am also thinking about what to do post Singapore and it's interesting to hear others' plans. My wife is American too, but I think I'd be keener to live over there than she would!

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 08 Sep 2017 12:37 am

duluoz1 wrote:My wife is American too, but I think I'd be keener to live over there than she would!
Tell me about it. I'm back in the USA after 8 years in Singapore. Unfortunately, I am in Trumpistan, aka, Texas. I'd much rather be somewhere else. But where? On the coast you get hurricanes. In the mountains, you get forest fires. Maybe Kansas?

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 08 Sep 2017 9:35 am

Strong Eagle wrote:
duluoz1 wrote:My wife is American too, but I think I'd be keener to live over there than she would!
Tell me about it. I'm back in the USA after 8 years in Singapore. Unfortunately, I am in Trumpistan, aka, Texas. I'd much rather be somewhere else. But where? On the coast you get hurricanes. In the mountains, you get forest fires. Maybe Kansas?
Well we have a house in NC, I have had a look around and there are a large number of control systems engineers jobs in the CLT area so we may start there. My wife would need to convert her TX teachers certification to NC/SC but that appears to be relatively straight forward.

The other options are Australia or NZ (similar landscape for me but my wife won't be able to work so easily) or possibly the MENA area for oilfield work or even Central Asia (Kazakh, Romania etc) for oilfield work.

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Fri, 08 Sep 2017 10:54 am

Strong Eagle wrote:
That would be midwest, if you like the lifestyle there (i.e. quiet and sleepy). Most parts of California (or even US as a country) are relatively sheltered from disasters. If you stay away from the coast, low lying areas, living in the hills (landslides), earthquake faults. And there are many affordable areas within CA. property tax is much lower than Texas'.

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Fri, 08 Sep 2017 10:57 am

I love Manhattan and can see myself living and working there. But can't handle the bitter winter and would be too much of a stretch financially. And hubby doesn't like cities :( . I am a city girl.

duluoz1

Post by duluoz1 » Sat, 09 Sep 2017 9:41 pm

I do quite fancy the States actually. Maybe another year or so in SG and then get out. Getting fed up of earning what should be decent money, and watching it all get spent on second rate International Schools.

BBCDoc
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BBCDoc » Sat, 16 Sep 2017 9:31 am

Am facing that crunch next year. Got myself a new role this year in anticipation of the need, a big promotion fortunately. Everything too expensive here - condos, cars and schools. Still, i think it beats Hong Kong on a local package...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
There's always room for one more

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Sat, 16 Sep 2017 5:35 pm

After living here for 8 years, I was looking to retire early for cheap in India. But surprisingly, my job now is much more stable than it ever was. My salary is not very high, yet it is very easy to live frugally in Singapore yet not lose out on quality of life. So now I am not so sure if I would want to go back to India, unless forced. There are some perks to staying employed, like I get to pass 10 hrs without wondering what to do and also it is easier to take overseas vacations while you are receiving a paycheck than dipping into your finances to take a holiday, so I am still carrying on, even though I hate going to office daily.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 17 Sep 2017 11:45 am

Wd40 wrote:After living here for 8 years, I was looking to retire early for cheap in India. But surprisingly, my job now is much more stable than it ever was. My salary is not very high, yet it is very easy to live frugally in Singapore yet not lose out on quality of life. So now I am not so sure if I would want to go back to India, unless forced. There are some perks to staying employed, like I get to pass 10 hrs without wondering what to do and also it is easier to take overseas vacations while you are receiving a paycheck than dipping into your finances to take a holiday, so I am still carrying on, even though I hate going to office daily.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk
Recently it's been "do I kill myself or go to work today" for me as well. Fortunately the next thought it usually "why kill yourself when it's less painful to resign". I guess at some point I'll break and quit or be retrenched.

duluoz1

Post by duluoz1 » Tue, 26 Sep 2017 7:15 am

My sympathies. I seem to have recreated the life I thought I had left behind in London, although arguably even more stressful. Commute of over an hour, standing up both ways, long days and phone calls up to 11pm. Good salary but most of going straight to school fees. And nobody to blame but myself!

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 27 Sep 2017 6:54 am

duluoz1 wrote:My sympathies. I seem to have recreated the life I thought I had left behind in London, although arguably even more stressful. Commute of over an hour, standing up both ways, long days and phone calls up to 11pm. Good salary but most of going straight to school fees. And nobody to blame but myself!
Yep. I remember first moving here. It was for a different reality to my present one.