Singapore Expats

Tennis court on rooftop of condo - noise issue?

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
byseeksconseil1

Tennis court on rooftop of condo - noise issue?

Post by byseeksconseil1 » Sun, 03 Sep 2017 9:39 pm

Hi,
I am looking for a top-floor unit (as I don't want people to stomp around above my head). I saw one such unit today. Everything is good. However, there is a tennis court and terrace space on the rooftop, which everyone in the building can access.

How much of a potential problem could this be? I do not want to hear the impact noise from people jumping on the tennis court and balls hitting the ground. Could this be a potential problem? If anyone has lived in such units, please feel free to share your experience/perspective.

Thanks.

Search By

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Tennis court on rooftop of condo - noise issue?

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 04 Sep 2017 6:59 am

byseeksconseil1 wrote:Hi,
I am looking for a top-floor unit (as I don't want people to stomp around above my head). I saw one such unit today. Everything is good. However, there is a tennis court and terrace space on the rooftop, which everyone in the building can access.

How much of a potential problem could this be? I do not want to hear the impact noise from people jumping on the tennis court and balls hitting the ground. Could this be a potential problem? If anyone has lived in such units, please feel free to share your experience/perspective.

Thanks.
Noise is #1 to check for sure when renting condos. Road noise here is a particular problem as the moronic architects normally design the condo to face the road.... I hadn't seen that one (sports on top) as an issue as normally the tennis courts are on top of the car park building. Try to go in the evening and view the apartment in the quiet. Turn of the sound system that the agent has running to disguise noise, take your shoes off and stuff the socks in the dribbling diarrhoeic gob of the same agent and sit for at least 15 minutes to let your ears adjust. If the CEA tard won't let you do that push him out the window and find another apartment.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 04 Sep 2017 8:20 am

byseeksconseil1 wrote:Hi,

Thanks.
I think the only way to tell is to get one person to the tennis court to start jumping and yourself inside to listen. No way to predict how well they have done the soundproofing.
I live in a top floor apartment of a regular condo (nothing but the roof above) and can hear the bloody water pumps operating. In the previous place, also rooftop with the terrace, rather lousy built "executive" condo, I could hear hardly anything when somebody was there and there was also a lift engine room adjacent to the place.

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Tue, 05 Sep 2017 2:26 pm

Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

byseeksconseil1

Post by byseeksconseil1 » Tue, 05 Sep 2017 2:37 pm

Thanks. I agree that road noise is another important consideration. It is a factor in my housing search. This one with a tennis court right on the roof does not face the road, and therefore is very very quiet. It would be perfect if there are no structures on the roof. It would be more sensible if the tennis court is on top of the car park building. But this one is right on top of the residential block.

Another place I have seen has no structures on the roof, but then again it faces a highway (though quite a bit of distance away). And there is a muffled buzz from the traffic when the windows are closed.

I am still looking and hopefully will find a place that is 1) on the top floor 2) without any amenities on the rooftop 3) with no traffic noise.

PNGMK wrote:
Noise is #1 to check for sure when renting condos. Road noise here is a particular problem as the moronic architects normally design the condo to face the road.... I hadn't seen that one (sports on top) as an issue as normally the tennis courts are on top of the car park building. Try to go in the evening and view the apartment in the quiet. Turn of the sound system that the agent has running to disguise noise, take your shoes off and stuff the socks in the dribbling diarrhoeic gob of the same agent and sit for at least 15 minutes to let your ears adjust. If the CEA tard won't let you do that push him out the window and find another apartment.

byseeksconseil1

Post by byseeksconseil1 » Tue, 05 Sep 2017 2:43 pm

I am taking another look at the place this week and will have someone jump and stomp on the tennis court. But I will need to figure out the area that is right above my unit, as the tennis court is quite big and covers quite a number of units.
x9200 wrote:
I think the only way to tell is to get one person to the tennis court to start jumping and yourself inside to listen. No way to predict how well they have done the soundproofing.
I live in a top floor apartment of a regular condo (nothing but the roof above) and can hear the bloody water pumps operating. In the previous place, also rooftop with the terrace, rather lousy built "executive" condo, I could hear hardly anything when somebody was there and there was also a lift engine room adjacent to the place.

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Tue, 05 Sep 2017 3:51 pm

I'm in a block which has a tennis court on the roof. Can't comment on the noise factor but I've never seen the thing used. In fact an agent, a regular in the block, swore there was no tennis court.

Evenings are probably fine because of time restrictions, I would think weekends would be your problem. And its not just the stomping, voices carry.

Any doubts avoid it.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 05 Sep 2017 9:19 pm

If you have to close windows to control noise levels it's not a habitable home.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

byseeksconseil1

Post by byseeksconseil1 » Tue, 05 Sep 2017 10:12 pm

By this standard, I think lots of apartments are inhabitable here in Singapore, which is just a sad fact.
PNGMK wrote:If you have to close windows to control noise levels it's not a habitable home.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 06 Sep 2017 7:17 am

There are 2 standard sources of noise in Singapore that are always a problem practically regardless the apartment's location and I mean the floor level too: (1) construction noise often till very late hours (2) speeding motorbikes in the middle of the nights.

The other standard sources I found more-less bearable/manageable.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 06 Sep 2017 9:16 am

x9200 wrote:(2) speeding motorbikes in the middle of the nights.
I had a bloody arse delivering my IHT at 5:30 in the morning on an incredibly loud two cycle bike with no muffler. I finally got up one morning and threatened to beat him to death with his own newspaper... no, actually, threatened that if he woke me up one more time I would have his job. Oddly enough, he started riding a much quieter bike.

kiatme

Post by kiatme » Wed, 06 Sep 2017 9:50 am

The stomping wouldn't be that much of an issue i reckon, unless the people playing are elephants, i can't imagine anyone stomping their feet for 2 hours, but the noise would be irritating with all the hitting and returning of balls

but then again, there are also other factors, like if the unit you choose is near the BBQ pit (and if you select a mid/low floor) you will get BBQ smell blowing into your house every weekends or if you choose a condo near mrt/face the road you get vehicle noises etc

Imo, if you have doubts about the house, don't get it. there are plenty of houses in singapore for you to choose from

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 06 Sep 2017 10:33 am

Strong Eagle wrote:
x9200 wrote:(2) speeding motorbikes in the middle of the nights.
I had a bloody arse delivering my IHT at 5:30 in the morning on an incredibly loud two cycle bike with no muffler. I finally got up one morning and threatened to beat him to death with his own newspaper... no, actually, threatened that if he woke me up one more time I would have his job. Oddly enough, he started riding a much quieter bike.
Riding with no/n-standard muffler is like a local hobby. LTA and TP seem to be well aware of it and for the last 2-3 years the LTA inspection centres are really obsessed in checking if the muffler is original.
2 years ago, my mechanic replaced the clamp/bracket connecting the muffler to the engine exhaust pipe and just because it was new and shiny (the clamp, nothing else) I had to explain, what and why.
This year, I witnessed one guy removed from the inspection queue and stuck for probably 2-3h because his mbike's muffler was new, shiny and covered with this carbon-fibre like sticker. He had to contact his servicing place and needed from them a proof that the muffler was permitted to be used in Singapore.

These were more recent, but already 10y ago TP occasionally organized road blocks (I saw one near BB Driving Centre) checking for non-standard mufflers.

Unfortunately, and needless to say, it doesn't seem to work and every single night I can hear few AHs roaring on their 125cc Hondas 4-5am morning on the streets below my place (and any other I lived earlier).

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Wed, 06 Sep 2017 10:56 am

How on earth do Harleys get away with making such a racket?

Guy behind me in the queue yesterday was getting his new standard muffler checked. He got picked up by TP for a non-standard muffler.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 06 Sep 2017 11:43 am

bgd wrote:How on earth do Harleys get away with making such a racket?

Guy behind me in the queue yesterday was getting his new standard muffler checked. He got picked up by TP for a non-standard muffler.
The Harley assholes, and a bunch of others, keep the stock pipes in the closet. When inspection time comes, they pop off their annoying noisemakers, and pop on the stock pipes. Post inspection, back to the same obnoxious dreck. What a bunch of humps!