Singapore Expats

Any Eagles up for a gathering in October?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
bxagw

Re: Any Eagles up for a gathering in October?

Post by bxagw » Mon, 09 Oct 2017 5:58 pm

My condolences Mi Amigo.

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Thu, 12 Oct 2017 4:08 pm

Many thanks to everyone for the kind words of support. I did smile about the 'condo' links but I know that everyone's messages were heartfelt.

Sadly none of the family could get there before the old man passed away, but he was at home in his own bed and surrounded by a caring team. They told me that it all happened very quickly and he didn't suffer, so relatively speaking it was a blessing and it saved him from the ravages of the final stages of Alzheimer's. So amongst the sadness there were some positives.

Now then, on to tomorrow's gathering... I'm so happy to see that there looks to be a good turnout likely. I'm sure a good time will be had by all and I look forward to hearing about it later.

I'm in the process of re-scheduling the trip over for January, so let's try to get together again then.
Be careful what you wish for

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 12 Oct 2017 5:24 pm

That we will certain do. In both cases! Take care until then.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 13 Oct 2017 9:45 am

The address:

Address: 139215, Singapore, Rochester Park, 4
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 13 Oct 2017 10:07 am

Looks like I'm in for the meetup this evening. I went without crutches yesterday and so far today, feeling better today so I reckon I'll give'r a try! Hopefully will reach by 8 pm as I don't drink & drive so I'll have to go home and then take the MRT down to Buona Vista.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sat, 14 Oct 2017 12:44 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Looks like I'm in for the meetup this evening. I went without crutches yesterday and so far today, feeling better today so I reckon I'll give'r a try! Hopefully will reach by 8 pm as I don't drink & drive so I'll have to go home and then take the MRT down to Buona Vista.
Came down with flu and took MC

Hope you guys had a great time.

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Sat, 14 Oct 2017 3:20 pm

ecureilx wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Looks like I'm in for the meetup this evening. I went without crutches yesterday and so far today, feeling better today so I reckon I'll give'r a try! Hopefully will reach by 8 pm as I don't drink & drive so I'll have to go home and then take the MRT down to Buona Vista.
Came down with flu and took MC

Hope you guys had a great time.

The two of us that did turn up had an interesting chat anyway - mostly about those that didn't - whilst at the same time holding down a table ~10ppl in a busy pub on a Friday night. [-X

Couldn't have been much of a timing issue because the two of us even turned up within 10min of each other, pretty perfect. The beer was acceptable whereby the best thing about it was the price. The pizza was better.

I won't make the same mistake by turning up next time. :-"
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sat, 14 Oct 2017 3:49 pm

ScoobyDoes wrote: I won't make the same mistake by turning up next time. :-"
ImageImage

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 16 Oct 2017 9:15 am

Apologies - I had a late call come up and could not get out of it. I believe SMS had an injury on the way down.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 16 Oct 2017 1:03 pm

As mentioned, I sprained my left ankle on the 1st of Oct. I just got off the crutches Thursday and though maybe I could make it. I drove home, then walked to the bus stop and got to NEX/Serangoon Station but by the time I got to the MRT itself, my ankle was already protesting. I debated for a while and decided discretion was the better part of valour as all I'd need is to get one or two under my belt and relaxed and I'd be back on crutches again. I let both addadude and PNGMK know via sms but found out both of them had to forego the festivities as well. This is the first one I'm missed since it's inception. :-(

Didn't have anybody else's number in my phone and I don't have tapatalk? installed either. My bad. :-(

Addadude
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Addadude » Mon, 16 Oct 2017 1:16 pm

I am one of the 'flakees' too. Apologies to all but something came up and I had to drop out last minute. Mind you you, of all the people here, SMS should be entitled to at least one drop out... I'm pretty sure he's the only Eagle who has attended ALL the gatherings with this notable exception!
"Both politicians and nappies need to be changed regularly, and for the same reasons."

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Tue, 17 Oct 2017 12:12 pm

Addadude wrote:... I'm pretty sure he's the only Eagle who has attended ALL the gatherings with this notable exception!
And that would have boosted the numbers to........three.

What I'm saying is, there is more a structural cause-and-effect from the days where, on the first page of an event page, we'd have 10-15 "confirmed" with another 5-10 "tentative" and if we didn't, move the date. This gave that 15-20 target whereby when a few didn't make it there'd be 10-15 left. This number I've seen at my last night out starting out at Arab Street and finishing, who knows where.

With people leaving Singapore together with a general atmosphere, from my opinion, changing, it's like a 5-10 base and when a few can't make it, the impact is much larger. I just things have changed so much from even a year or two ago - it's not a whole forum that's required anymore, just a WhatsApp Group, for example.

That said, never in the history of all things said, has one sentence ever been so apt;
"Couldn't organise a p!ss-up in a Brewery."
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Tue, 17 Oct 2017 12:17 pm

A bit oops from me, i thought for some reason that since Mi Amigo's dad passed that this event was not going to happen.. :???:
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 17 Oct 2017 1:54 pm

Scooby, you are right. It's difficult anymore to get up a quorum let alone a full scrum. Those of us that are left are often outstation. Only a few like me who are stuck here and no longer part of the jetsetting group. MOM has surely decimated our group, that's for sure! :x

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Tue, 17 Oct 2017 2:53 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Scooby, you are right. It's difficult anymore to get up a quorum let alone a full scrum. Those of us that are left are often outstation. Only a few like me who are stuck here and no longer part of the jetsetting group. MOM has surely decimated our group, that's for sure! :x
It's ironic, I had "decimate" already in my last post before changing wording.

I am still travelling as much as I always have, hence no confirmations or even messages. For Friday I even blew off some colleagues that were in town a couple of days from France, after using the excuse of just having dinner with them the night before. Ho hum.

There has to be a better way of doing it. Don't anybody dare suggest tapatalk - I'm still happily using a WindowsPhone and it could be put somewhere rather painful for anybody that does.

SIR Stirling Moss OBE