Singapore Expats

Job interview opinion

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
juann14

Job interview opinion

Post by juann14 » Tue, 29 Aug 2017 5:58 pm

Hi.

I would like to know your opinion regarding my recent job interview. FYI, I'm a Malaysian and have working experience 2 years in Singapore. However, I'm already left my previous job and currently looking for a job.
On 16 August, I received an email for interview on the date of 22nd August. However, I asked for the interview to be rescheduled on 18th August since I already in Singapore on that time.
So, the interview was done on 18th August. When I arrived for my interview, the manager had a meeting. So, I waited for quite some time until the HR make a first moved. The HR went through my certificate and talk about the company background and benefits.
Then, the manager enter after she had finish her metting. The manager mostly talk more about the job scope, challenges, future plan and what they look in for candidate. She didn't ask me a lot but expect me to ask more the company and what I want to know. She smile alot. Then, she give me a tour at the working place.
I asked how long will I know the result. She replied that they are still other candidates need to be interview and let me know 1 or 2 weeks time. However, the job advertised stated they need people that can start immediately.
Today, it already more than 1week. I send the job interview follow-up through email but no reply receive.
What is your opinion? Do I still have the chance to get the job offer?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Job interview opinion

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 29 Aug 2017 10:47 pm

Seriously, it can take up to two months or the position could be filled or no longer exists. I was a headhunter for a decade before becoming an HR Manager of an SME for the past dozen+ years. Many times, especially if it's an EPC contractor, they will be setting tenders and will need to give a list of the headcount (with real names, etc. So while they might be interested, they would need you for a immediate start whenever/if the contract is granted. When they say immediate start, they mean whenever you are called, can you start immediately without waiting on a notice period. It's the way the game is played over here. I used to hate it because I only sourced foreign engineers in the O&G, Shipbuilding, greenfield Up & Downstream refineries and heavy civils. This happened all the time and only later do you find out the 1000 bucks you spend on overseas phonecalls were a waste of money and time for both the recruiter and the jobseeker. So, just hold your breath. Who knows, the job might be ready to start as soon as the bank say okay, here's your line of credit. Keep the faith. If that don't work, don't forget to have a Plan B.

sms
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers