Singapore Expats Forum

Driving SG registered car in Malaysia

Discuss anything relating to automotive here, from car leasing to buying a vehicle.

Sponsored by:
AVIS Car Rental
x9200

Driving SG registered car in Malaysia

Postby x9200 » Mon, 28 Aug 2017 12:26 pm

I drove my car to Malaysia a number of times but it was always a short distance to JB and around. Now I consider driving to KL and I wonder what should I expect. What I mean, if I follow all the traffic regulation is it likely I will be pulled over by the police to be "ticketed" just because of the license plates?

bgd
Editor
Editor

Re: Driving SG registered car in Malaysia

Postby bgd » Mon, 28 Aug 2017 3:07 pm

Not in my experience on a Sg registered bike.

Best not to take bad Sg driving habits across the causeway. :)

PNGMK
Director
Director

Postby PNGMK » Mon, 28 Aug 2017 9:10 pm

x9200 wrote:I drove my car to Malaysia a number of times but it was always a short distance to JB and around. Now I consider driving to KL and I wonder what should I expect. What I mean, if I follow all the traffic regulation is it likely I will be pulled over by the police to be "ticketed" just because of the license plates?

No issue. I've driven there dozens of times all the way up the peninsular. If anything you get treated slightly better by the boys in blue (waved through multiple checks many times where you could see them laying into some proton driving local off on the side).
I have gay, black, Asian friends and then JR8.

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Mon, 28 Aug 2017 10:18 pm

Never had an issue on bike or in car. Now, the drivers in KL are something else.

x9200

Postby x9200 » Tue, 29 Aug 2017 5:28 pm

Thank you guys for reassurance. I hate being forced to the situation where I am expected to bribe someone (or whatever it is called). Happy to hear unlikely the case in Malaysia.

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Wed, 30 Aug 2017 12:00 am

x9200 wrote:Thank you guys for reassurance. I hate being forced to the situation where I am expected to bribe someone (or whatever it is called). Happy to hear unlikely the case in Malaysia.

Well... if you do get stopped... and I never have... "accidentally" pulling out a 100 RM note out of your wallet while fishing around for your license might be the thing, I have heard. But, I've had a lot more issues with the cops in Thailand, where farang on a bike are fair game for a shakedown in every town.

Of more concern are the lunatic truck drivers that speed down E2, in vehicles of questionable shape. I have personally witnessed a large truck and trailer lose control, veer off the shoulder to the left and while trying to get back on the highway, he essentially hung a hard right across the road, crashed through the median barrier, flew through oncoming lanes of traffic, then go crashed into the palm oil plantation on the other side of the highway where it finally came to rest. Miraculously, no other cars were involved.

x9200

Postby x9200 » Wed, 30 Aug 2017 5:25 pm

I expected this may happen but I was afraid it happens frequently.

With Thailand I had no bad experience but I drove for few days only in the Northern part.
But the driver we hired on Bali had to pay some duty to the police at least once while driving us around and I don't think it was any offense related other than of being hired by some tourists and having a decent car.

maneo
Reporter
Reporter

Postby maneo » Wed, 30 Aug 2017 8:10 pm

x9200 wrote:Thank you guys for reassurance. I hate being forced to the situation where I am expected to bribe someone (or whatever it is called). Happy to hear unlikely the case in Malaysia.

Back when I drove, I had gone to Malacca & Selangor many times, but I did get stopped once about 8 years ago. I was told that a speed camera had taken a photo of me speeding. I expressed surprise & suggested that it might have been another similar car (I had a popular model & colour from the year it was purchased), so I asked (pleasantly) if he wouldn't mind if I could see the photo. I guess this caught the officer by surprise. As it turns out another SG license car was coming up (which, coincidentally, looked just like mine), so they pulled it over & told me to just go.

Maybe it was a lead-in to some holiday period, so they might have needed some extra cash, and they didn't want much hassle, but that was the only time in about 13 years of driving that it happened.

Can't say what I did will work for anyone else, but I did know that I hadn't gone over the limit at all.
I had actually kept watching my speedometer all the way.