Singapore Expats

Cashless Society!

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Cashless Society!

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 03 Sep 2017 6:30 pm

casey5047 wrote: This is the logic of a dribbling moron: most of the infrastructure is already in place, and the potential is already there, so why bother complaining about its further encroachment. 'Go live on a desert island if you don't like it!'

It also rests on the assumption that I don't know those things, or do know about them and are fine with them, so I'm being inconsistent or hypocritical. None of which is true.

And yeah, that's exactly what tourists will need to do. They already have the option of paying for everything with their home debit / credit cards, but few do, which suggests it's not going to be popular. That's what I was driving at, but your piss-poor attempt at being sardonic depends on you pretending you can't infer things or draw basic conclusions.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 03 Sep 2017 7:02 pm

casey5047 wrote:
x9200 wrote:
casey5047 wrote:Do we really want a traceable permanent record of everything we purchase (and therefore nearly everywhere we go)? It makes me feel uneasy.
There is already the whole infrastructure in place and operating that can trace your location and pretty much link it to other activities. If you feel that uneasy about it, Singapore (and most of the other developed countries) is probably not the right place for you.
Alternatively, you may consider trashing your mobile phone, not using any proximity cards and walking around inside a cardboard box (this would unfortunately attract some attention).
This is the logic of a dribbling moron: most of the infrastructure is already in place, and the potential is already there, so why bother complaining about its further encroachment. 'Go live on a desert island if you don't like it!'

It also rests on the assumption that I don't know those things, or do know about them and are fine with them, so I'm being inconsistent or hypocritical. None of which is true.

And yeah, that's exactly what tourists will need to do. They already have the option of paying for everything with their home debit / credit cards, but few do, which suggests it's not going to be popular. That's what I was driving at, but your piss-poor attempt at being sardonic depends on you pretending you can't infer things or draw basic conclusions.
Didn't notice that one. Thanks Ecu.

casey5047

Post by casey5047 » Sun, 03 Sep 2017 8:33 pm

x9200 wrote:
casey5047 wrote:
x9200 wrote:I don't try to disingenuously minimize the disadvantages. These are the fact you are apparently oblivious of. Perhaps you should make some effort to address my points instead of trying to turn this discussion personal?

And why instead? This is one whole package. The only disadvantage I can see are potential problems for people of very low income.

Advantages, for me, is mostly the convenience. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I practically don't use cash already, I don't need to bother with ATMs, I always have a proof of transaction, I can buy many things simply cheaper comparing to the situation I would need to go to a shop and physically pay in cash.

Our lives, whether we like it or not, are already substantially cashless and invigilated so instead of seeing only the devil it's good to realize the obvious benefits of such systems. The privacy, where important should be protected by controlling the information given away on more personal grounds, not by paying cash for a bag of tomatoes.
Why 'instead,' what? Are you talking to yourself?

You didn't make any points in your first reply. There were no facts, just logical fallacies, a straw man argument and desperate attempts at being witty. In short, you're an arsehole.

This time, you're conflating the benefits of online shopping with those of a completely cashless society, and repeating the fallacy that if a bad thing is happening (our lives are increasingly 'invigilated'), it's somehow wrong to oppose more of that bad thing, which is so abstract and confused, I don't know where to begin.

I pointed out the 'devil' and you said all people who've noticed the 'devil' haven't noticed other bad things and want to return to a bartering economy or keep money under their beds or some unfunny guff.
If you had a bit better attitude I could even (attempt to) explain to you these fallacies (as you perceive them) but ultimately this is your problem and your limitations, so QFP only.
You're a pathetic cry-bully.

Firstly, are you seriously suggesting that this isn't belligerent and highly patronising?
There is already the whole infrastructure in place and operating that can trace your location and pretty much link it to other activities. If you feel that uneasy about it, Singapore (and most of the other developed countries) is probably not the right place for you.
Alternatively, you may consider trashing your mobile phone, not using any proximity cards and walking around inside a cardboard box (this would unfortunately attract some attention).
Now I've used the same tone to speak to you, you've turned all Victorian schoolmarmish. 'I won't talk to you if you use that dreadful language!' you wag your bony finger. 'Now you'll miss out on my brilliant explanations that definitely explain everything (I swear)!'

It's a transparent excuse to avoid admitting that you're an arsehole (see earlier quote) and your reasoning is poor (one example: most of your reasons are reasons for placing debit / credit card payment terminals at every physical point of sale in Singapore, not reasons for simultaneously eliminating the options of paying in cash as well... you need to explain why being a cashless - cashless - casshhh...lessssss society is a good thing... another example: pointing out some benefits doesn't magically make detriments vanish: address those detriments to the point that being an absolutely cashless - cashless - casshhh...lessssss society has a clear advantage over the current state of affairs or the obvious alternative outlined above (accepting cards and cash at every point of sale)... example 9857928: 'I can buy many things simply cheaper comparing to the situation I would need to go to a shop and physically pay in cash,' suggests that you're as confused as Scooby Doo.).

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 03 Sep 2017 9:03 pm

casey5047 wrote: You're a pathetic cry-bully.

Firstly, are you seriously suggesting that this isn't belligerent and highly patronising?

Now I've used the same tone to speak to you, you've turned all Victorian schoolmarmish. 'I won't talk to you if you use that dreadful language!' you wag your bony finger. 'Now you'll miss out on my brilliant explanations that definitely explain everything (I swear)!'

It's a transparent excuse to avoid admitting that you're an arsehole (see earlier quote)

BBCW version 2 ?

casey5047

Post by casey5047 » Sun, 03 Sep 2017 9:58 pm

ecureilx wrote:
casey5047 wrote: You're a pathetic cry-bully.

It's a transparent excuse to avoid admitting that you're an arsehole (see earlier quote)

BBCW version 2 ?

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Sun, 03 Sep 2017 10:36 pm

Cash will always be king at the Four Floors.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 03 Sep 2017 11:09 pm

Also certain establishments in Geylang. :cool:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 03 Sep 2017 11:34 pm

Likely. Foreign currency or gold if material SGD is phased out.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 04 Sep 2017 6:55 am

The problem for me is when there is no option that includes cash as a payment...
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

casey5047

Post by casey5047 » Sat, 06 Jan 2024 1:43 am

x9200 wrote:
Sun, 03 Sep 2017 11:34 pm
Likely. Foreign currency or gold if material SGD is phased out.
Still waiting for your reply, Mungo Jerry.

casey5047

Post by casey5047 » Sat, 06 Jan 2024 1:44 am

ecureilx wrote:
Sun, 03 Sep 2017 6:30 pm
casey5047 wrote: This is the logic of a dribbling moron: most of the infrastructure is already in place, and the potential is already there, so why bother complaining about its further encroachment. 'Go live on a desert island if you don't like it!'

And you, emoji girl.

JWNYsg
Regular
Regular

Post by JWNYsg » Sat, 06 Jan 2024 4:38 pm

I genuinely don’t know how some people walk around without even SGD10. Could be extremely inconvenient when really met with a scenario that only cash payment is accepted