Singapore Expats Forum

Employment Pass (EP) is Pending from last 2 months

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:
The Club Residences

amiteshc1988

Employment Pass (EP) is Pending from last 2 months

Postby amiteshc1988 » Wed, 23 Aug 2017 7:37 pm

Hi There,

I received an offer from a Singapore based IT company and they applied for my Employment Pass(EP) on 6th July 2017. Status of EP is still pending, It's been 2 month since my EP is pending.
My background as follows -
1) Bachelor of Technology(B.Tech) from a reputed College in Computer Science.
2) More than 6 years of experience in IT.
3) Offered pay is near about 6K.

It's a fresh EP application from the employer. I haven't been in abroad before.
I have already served my notice period waiting for EP.

Is there anyone with slimier case like me. It's been 2 month since my EP is pending and MOM people were given me no reason for that.
Please advise/suggest if anyone had slimier experience. Also share the possibility of getting the EP.

Thanks

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Employment Pass (EP) is Pending from last 2 months

Postby ecureilx » Wed, 23 Aug 2017 7:53 pm

amiteshc1988 wrote:Hi There,

I received an offer from a Singapore based IT company and they applied for my Employment Pass(EP) on 6th July 2017. Status of EP is still pending, It's been 2 month since my EP is pending.
My background as follows -
1) Bachelor of Technology(B.Tech) from a reputed College in Computer Science.
2) More than 6 years of experience in IT.
3) Offered pay is near about 6K.

It's a fresh EP application from the employer. I haven't been in abroad before.
I have already served my notice period waiting for EP.

Is there anyone with slimier case like me. It's been 2 month since my EP is pending and MOM people were given me no reason for that.
Please advise/suggest if anyone had slimier experience. Also share the possibility of getting the EP.

Thanks
Do you take some time and read the posts here? If you did, you will know your situation isn't unique.

Reputed? How so?

PS, problem maybe in slimier

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Wed, 23 Aug 2017 9:14 pm

Are you going to work for a body shop, a company that is going to rent you out to other companies?

amiteshc1988

Postby amiteshc1988 » Wed, 23 Aug 2017 9:32 pm

Yes! My employer will deploy me to another company.

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Wed, 23 Aug 2017 10:57 pm

amiteshc1988 wrote:Yes! My employer will deploy me to another company.

The anecdotal evidence from many posts on this board, is that the gahmen is cracking down hard on contract employees. There are several reasons for this, not the least of which being, when a company hires a contractor from an agency, they displace a permanent position, which means that Singaporeans lose a career path for advancement.

Another reason is that companies are coming under fire for not hiring Singaporeans first and their requests for EP's are not being granted.

If you read through the many related posts on this board, you will see that you could wait for 2 months, for 6 months, and maybe forever. I judge that the gahmen wants to see companies hire for permanent positions and not employ contractors.

amiteshc1988

Postby amiteshc1988 » Wed, 23 Aug 2017 11:35 pm

Thanks for the info.

I have been through several posts within this portal and others.

Only option is there to have patience. :)

bro75
Chatter
Chatter

Postby bro75 » Thu, 24 Aug 2017 8:40 am

My advice to those applying for an EP is not to resign from your current company until you receive the IPA. There is always the chance that the EP will be rejected.

lambemusuwek

Postby lambemusuwek » Thu, 24 Aug 2017 7:55 pm

amiteshc1988 wrote:I have already served my notice period waiting for EP.

Luckily you are not staying in Singapore yet. I think it's far better if you served your notice period in your own country. You just need to think whether you have enough money to survive, or prepare everything in case you got your EP approved and relocating to SG.

Don't do it when you move between jobs within SG. Just don't...
In SG if you are foreigner and switching between jobs, you must say CLEARLY to your new to-be employer about joining date, that you need to wait until your EP is approved then you serve 1 month notice period from that date.
If they can't accept it, then don't accept the job. Or else you might need to go pack your bag and things.

Many stories from my friend, he interviewed many talents. Many of them made the wrong move: resigned right after signed a job offer letter. After served notice period, got their EP rejected. Re-applied / appealed, still rejected. Many of them finally had to go back to their country, as the work visa can't be extended.

amiteshc1988 wrote:1) Bachelor of Technology(B.Tech) from a reputed College in Computer Science.

reputed? over there?

amiteshc1988 wrote:Is there anyone with slimier case like me. It's been 2 month since my EP is pending and MOM people were given me no reason for that.

mine was 2 months. But that was because the first application rejected after 5 weeks, then another approved after 4 weeks.
I've gone through 2x rejection...and both are on renewal ](*,)
amiteshc1988 wrote:Also share the possibility of getting the EP.

Do your own assessment
http://www.mom.gov.sg/eservices/service ... sment-tool

Nowadays is quite difficult, even EP renewal now treated like applying new EP. It was easier for renewal back then. Moreover, the govt applied more strict rule in hiring foreign talent. From 2014, any employer must first post their job in job banks which can only be accessed by Singaporeans and PRs for 14 days. 250 firms are in the watch-list right now for not doing it, having their EP application being assessed closely and put to the "slow lane".

Quoted from http://www.todayonline.com/singapore/25 ... ngaporeans
Fair employers will have “normal lane” access, while employers on the watchlist who engage in unfair Human Resources practices will be relegated to the “slow lane” and face additional scrutiny of their work pass applications.

But hey, let's just wait the result. I guess you should get the result soon, since it's 2 months already.

Good luck... :D