Singapore Expats

Accept the offer or move back

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
Edgar P

Accept the offer or move back

Post by Edgar P » Wed, 23 Aug 2017 2:42 pm

Hi Lads,

A pretty tough situation here...

I was looking for a job in Singapore for 5 months without any result. Decided to go back to the UK (at least for 6 months) and start my new career in Project Management (I have an experience in doing various projects in HR). Already sent my CV's and got a couple positive responses back (Few from big MNC) arranging the interviews. And these responses came back after two days of search (amazing after 6 months of silence in Singapore).

Thus, UK seems to have better perspectives for me and the plan was to gain more experience and back to Asia.

However, I got a call from the small company I was interviewed here in Singapore and they made me an offer. The job is a bit out of my career path and more compliance related (I am HR + Project Management) which is fine with me, but the salary is $3K.

Now my dilemma is whether or not should I take this job as it could possibly provide me an opportunity to enter Singapore employment market after some 6 months (to gain Singapore experience), or just stick to my plan and go back to the UK for proper salary and career prospectives.

I know this sounds obvious to go ahead and back to the UK, but I really enjoyed to stay here in Singapore.

What do you think guys?

bro75
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Re: Accept the offer or move back

Post by bro75 » Wed, 23 Aug 2017 2:45 pm

It is obvious. Go back to UK. A job in Singapore makes sense only if the salary is high enough. People can live on 3K but that is not saying much. Now if this is about a girl in Sg, then no comment.

Edgar P

Post by Edgar P » Wed, 23 Aug 2017 2:54 pm

bro75 wrote: Now if this is about a girl in Sg, then no comment.
Not really about the girl. It is more about the wife who was transferred. :mrgreen:

The Ref
Chatter
Chatter

Post by The Ref » Wed, 23 Aug 2017 8:36 pm

Edgar P wrote:
bro75 wrote: Now if this is about a girl in Sg, then no comment.
Not really about the girl. It is more about the wife who was transferred. :mrgreen:
$3K is not much to live on, even less to support a girlfriend and no way enough to support a wife AND a girlfriend [-X

poods

Post by poods » Wed, 23 Aug 2017 8:41 pm

Seems on the surface to be a pretty simple choice: job or wife! But of course it's never that simple. Caveats would be: your wife's length of contract here and career aspirations, whether you're willing to spend time apart, how much a tint back in the UK would really help your career prospects in terms of being international. Are you thinking long term or short term?

I did this, i.e. went back home for more experience to make myself more marketable internationally, which was my long term goal.

Edgar P

Post by Edgar P » Wed, 23 Aug 2017 8:56 pm

Well, of course, I am trying to think long-term.

Same time job in Singapore might help me to get into another more rewarding job here. As currently, as I understand, I am not outstanding from the other applicants from abroad, trying to get into Singapore market. All the time I need to emphasise I am on D Pass etc.

There are plenty topics how hard to get the first job for expat-spouses. I guess, getting a second job should be easier? Am I right?