Singapore Expats Forum

Singapore REP Renewal

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
hrprof1985
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue, 26 Feb 2013

Singapore REP Renewal

Postby hrprof1985 » Wed, 23 Aug 2017 2:23 pm

Hi

me and my wife are Singapore PR and my company has currently posted us overseas. We draw salary in foreign currency and therefore do not pay Singapore tax or CPF

Our REP renewal is due now. We have received one year extension only.

1. What happens if our REP renewal is not successful and expires as we are unable to move back to Singapore quickly. Does that mean we also lose our PR? Or do we retain our PR and in future when we return to Singapore, we will need a normal visa to enter and then we can reapply REP from inside Singapore in future

2. We both have a house in Singapore now and want to become citizens. Can we apply for Singapore citizenship while being overseas and not having a permanent registered address in Singapore?

Please advise

Thanks

singaporeflyer
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1240
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009

Re: Singapore REP Renewal

Postby singaporeflyer » Wed, 23 Aug 2017 3:04 pm

hrprof1985 wrote:Hi

me and my wife are Singapore PR and my company has currently posted us overseas. We draw salary in foreign currency and therefore do not pay Singapore tax or CPF

Our REP renewal is due now. We have received one year extension only.

1. What happens if our REP renewal is not successful and expires as we are unable to move back to Singapore quickly. Does that mean we also lose our PR? Or do we retain our PR and in future when we return to Singapore, we will need a normal visa to enter and then we can reapply REP from inside Singapore in future

2. We both have a house in Singapore now and want to become citizens. Can we apply for Singapore citizenship while being overseas and not having a permanent registered address in Singapore?

Please advise

Thanks


1.After they have given you the 1 year renewal, if you do not come back to Singapore and work, when you are due for REP renewal in 1 year - REP will be denied. This will mean that you will be forced to cancel the PR

2. If you lose your PR, you have to sell off the HDB that you own in 6 months time (need to check this). You can technically apply for SG Citizenship. But chance wise it will be close to 0, as you have not even permanently resided in Singapore as a PR, why should they give you citizenship here?

3. In the SG Citizenship application form, there is a section asking you to declare if you have stayed outside SG for 1 year outside SG in total over a period of 6 years? Once you declare that, they will automatically know. Even if you don't declare, they will find out. So, Citizenship Chances - 0

hrprof1985
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue, 26 Feb 2013

Re: Singapore REP Renewal

Postby hrprof1985 » Wed, 23 Aug 2017 3:09 pm

Thanks for clear responses.

Really disappointing news

You say if REP is denied, one is forced to cancel PR. Is this confirmed and is it mentioned somewhere officially? I couldn't see it online

I know I am clutching for straws here but what options do I have to retain PR while we are overseas since we clearly want to come back to Singapore but over a period of years and not in next 1 year

singaporeflyer
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1240
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009

Re: Singapore REP Renewal

Postby singaporeflyer » Wed, 23 Aug 2017 3:16 pm

hrprof1985 wrote:Thanks for clear responses.

Really disappointing news

You say if REP is denied, one is forced to cancel PR. Is this confirmed and is it mentioned somewhere officially? I couldn't see it online

I know I am clutching for straws here but what options do I have to retain PR while we are overseas since we clearly want to come back to Singapore but over a period of years and not in next 1 year



Where are you originally from and where are you now?

You cant get the best of both worlds. The only way now for you to get your REP extended next time is to move back quickly to Singapore and find a job here and live here. If not, chances are zero.

Regarding, the REP denial and PR cancellation - You can call and check with ICA or wait for other forum members to reply.

Also read first few lines in the below page

https://www.ica.gov.sg/page.aspx?pageid=152

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9507
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: Singapore REP Renewal

Postby ecureilx » Wed, 23 Aug 2017 4:10 pm

hrprof1985 wrote:Thanks for clear responses.

Really disappointing news



Why disappointing ?

Considering how Singapore is land starved, and any population growth the locals have become, Singapore is trying to shed excess fat :)

hrprof1985
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue, 26 Feb 2013

Re: Singapore REP Renewal

Postby hrprof1985 » Wed, 23 Aug 2017 5:47 pm

Not sure why a person is considered fat if they are not taking anything from the system while they stay overseas..

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9507
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: Singapore REP Renewal

Postby ecureilx » Wed, 23 Aug 2017 7:52 pm

hrprof1985 wrote:Not sure why a person is considered fat if they are not taking anything from the system while they stay overseas..
Nope.

In today's Singapore you are fat if you continue to add to the population statistics.

The thinking is if you are not here don't contribute to the population number.

After all population number is hot topic during election time...

And civil servants here don't make up numbers...

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10468
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Re: Singapore REP Renewal

Postby Strong Eagle » Wed, 23 Aug 2017 9:23 pm

PR = Permanent RESIDENT... but you are not. You cannot be resident and overseas at the same time.

IF you get back to Singapore before your REP expires, you can remain PR forever... but unless you get new REP, you can't ever leave the country or you lose PR.

PNGMK
Director
Director
Posts: 4895
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013

Re: Singapore REP Renewal

Postby PNGMK » Wed, 23 Aug 2017 9:32 pm

REP renewal overseas has become much much harder regardless of the urban myths that it can be done. I actually don't think there is much you can do about it, PR is meant to be a pathway to SC, if the OP had PR for 3 years or so prior to moving overseas they would have established SC. This is a message that really needs to be pushed through. Also PR in other countries is also becoming problematic to renew if you're not resident, a lot of Aussie PR's have found that out as well.
I have gay, black, Asian friends and then JR8.

singaporeflyer
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1240
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009

Re: Singapore REP Renewal

Postby singaporeflyer » Wed, 23 Aug 2017 11:01 pm

hrprof1985 wrote:Not sure why a person is considered fat if they are not taking anything from the system while they stay overseas..



Are you sure you are not taking anything from the System?

- Your money in CPF for which you are getting the highest interest in the market
- Your HDB - Is it locked?
- The privilege that you can change jobs anytime without worrying about whether your EP will be approved or not?

Are these not given by the system? If you were not a PR, you would not have had all these.

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9507
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: Singapore REP Renewal

Postby ecureilx » Thu, 24 Aug 2017 8:07 am

singaporeflyer wrote:- Your money in CPF for which you are getting the highest interest in the market
- Your HDB - Is it locked?
- The privilege that you can change jobs anytime without worrying about whether your EP will be approved or not?



The first benefit ..

lee85
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue, 07 Mar 2017

Re: Singapore REP Renewal

Postby lee85 » Thu, 24 Aug 2017 11:28 am

Well I think it is fair for ICA to do this! As mentioned previously you do get the benefits from Singapore like your existing CPF and also HDB flat where the price is subsidised, and please tell me the subsidy coming form where? isn't it from Singapore`s tax payer money? So while you are overseas, you are not paying tax to Singapore, why then Singapore government need to keep you while you are not contributing to the Singapore society? Even in US there is a regulation where you need to spent a minimum amount of time every year if you don't want to lose your green card.

bt1029
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu, 24 Aug 2017

Re: Singapore REP Renewal

Postby bt1029 » Thu, 24 Aug 2017 11:49 am

Hi.

I was in the same situation as you. I decided to return to M'sia and requested for PR extension and was granted an extension of 1 year. As I did not managed to return back to SG before the expiry, my REP was revoked and PR cancelled.

I have to applied for an EP after I returned back to SG. I submitted for PR application 1 year after that and got it. However this time around it took longer e.g. 8 months for processing unlike years ago.

User avatar
Barnsley
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2094
Joined: Tue, 10 Jun 2008
Location: Pasir Ris
Contact:

Re: Singapore REP Renewal

Postby Barnsley » Thu, 24 Aug 2017 12:00 pm

bt1029 wrote:Hi.

I was in the same situation as you. I decided to return to M'sia and requested for PR extension and was granted an extension of 1 year. As I did not managed to return back to SG before the expiry, my REP was revoked and PR cancelled.

I have to applied for an EP after I returned back to SG. I submitted for PR application 1 year after that and got it. However this time around it took longer e.g. 8 months for processing unlike years ago.


This mean what? :o :o

After having your PR cancelled , you are now back to being a PR again, or you are now in Singapore on EP?

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I love these feel good stories if its true you can give up PR as and when you feel like it and Govt will just give you back at a later date :D
Life is short, paddle harder!!

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9244
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Re: Singapore REP Renewal

Postby x9200 » Thu, 24 Aug 2017 12:29 pm

bt1029 wrote:Hi.

I was in the same situation as you. I decided to return to M'sia and requested for PR extension and was granted an extension of 1 year. As I did not managed to return back to SG before the expiry, my REP was revoked and PR cancelled.

I have to applied for an EP after I returned back to SG. I submitted for PR application 1 year after that and got it. However this time around it took longer e.g. 8 months for processing unlike years ago.


I bet you are a Malaysian Chinese. The OP didn't mention his race, so how do you know if the situation was the same?


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: SCmarriedtoMalaysian and 4 guests