Singapore Expats

Canadian moving to Singapore - personal banking

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
Steve444

Canadian moving to Singapore - personal banking

Post by Steve444 » Wed, 23 Aug 2017 9:19 am

I am moving to Singapore in a month to work and I want to transfer freely monies between my bank in Canada and new bank in Singapore. All the Canadian banks don't do personal banking. Any advice ?

bgd
Manager
Manager

Re: Canadian moving to Singapore - personal banking

Post by bgd » Wed, 23 Aug 2017 11:24 am

I've been happy with Citi.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 23 Aug 2017 9:20 pm

Have you considered a Schwab brokerage account? Easy to move money from Singapore into the account, and then from there to other banks... all online. Decent exchange rates.

marie_katie

Post by marie_katie » Fri, 25 Aug 2017 3:18 pm

What bank are you using in Canada? My husband and I uses Bank of Montreal and there is a western union bank transfer through BMO. It's $9 + 1% of amount transferred per transaction. But you're limited to transfer 999 Cad per day. I find that is the cheapest way to transfer money. If you're talking about transferring money from Sg to Canada, you can try western union but the down side is you need to personally go to western union to collect the money. You can try Online transfer but the fees can be up to $125.

Steve444

Post by Steve444 » Fri, 25 Aug 2017 4:27 pm

Hi thank you I bank at scotiabank I will be working for a year here and family staying at home so, I need to transfer from my singapore account where pay deposited to get to a Canadian account

ludwig12

Post by ludwig12 » Mon, 04 Sep 2017 1:55 am

You can try HSBC. With global transfer, it allows you to move 200K US$ equivalent per day. It is instant and free.

brian_singapore
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by brian_singapore » Mon, 04 Sep 2017 3:26 pm

I've never had a problem transfering money to and from Canada via wire-transfer via on-line banking. (On both the Singapore side and the Canada side)

I've done this with a couple of different banks in Singapore. It's usually done within 24 hours.

Western Union is a very expensive option.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Mon, 04 Sep 2017 4:38 pm

The cheapest option is to open an account with Interactive brokers. Fund it with Canadian dollars. Use their FX trading platform which charges US $2 per transaction and then you can withdraw it into a Singapore account.

There is a monthly inactivity fee at Interactive Brokers though of US$10, if you don't generate commissions of that amount.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

physdude1

Post by physdude1 » Thu, 14 Sep 2017 4:01 am

Wd40 wrote:The cheapest option is to open an account with Interactive brokers. Fund it with Canadian dollars. Use their FX trading platform which charges US $2 per transaction and then you can withdraw it into a Singapore account.

There is a monthly inactivity fee at Interactive Brokers though of US$10, if you don't generate commissions of that amount.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk
I second this suggestion. IB is a brilliant platform for investing, transferring money etc. The only downside are their monthly fixed fees but if you have a non-trivial level of investments, they turn out to be the cheapest by far.

austinsparrow19

Post by austinsparrow19 » Tue, 25 Sep 2018 5:32 pm

I think HSBC is pretty good for transfers internationally :D