Singapore Expats

Notifying Employer? Apply for PEP

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
Mn2kl

Notifying Employer? Apply for PEP

Post by Mn2kl » Tue, 22 Aug 2017 11:04 pm

Hi there, i think I know the answer but just wanted to check anyway.. I presume there is an obligation or process that requires your current employer to be notified, whenever their employer( on EP) submits an application for a Personalised Employment pass.. Is that right?
Am thinking about doing so but I think it would alarm my employers as they'll naturally think I'm looking for flexibility to resign :)
Thanks!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Notifying Employer? Apply for PEP

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 22 Aug 2017 11:10 pm

Mn2kl wrote:Hi there, i think I know the answer but just wanted to check anyway.. I presume there is an obligation or process that requires your current employer to be notified, whenever their employer( on EP) submits an application for a Personalised Employment pass.. Is that right?
Am thinking about doing so but I think it would alarm my employers as they'll naturally think I'm looking for flexibility to resign :)
Thanks!
From what I know no need to notify

The Ref
Chatter
Chatter

Post by The Ref » Wed, 23 Aug 2017 12:50 am

I did it 4.5 years ago and didn't notify my employer.

HR generally don't care and if a "riff" is coming it it your reporting line that makes decisions, not HR. Don't worry so much, getting a PEP can possibly benefit you so if you qualify and the time is right do it, but remember do it as a step towards PR. If you have no intention of hanging around don't bother.

If your employer asks state you have heard it is the path you take if you wish to get PR.

Mn2kl

Post by Mn2kl » Wed, 23 Aug 2017 8:16 am

Thank you that's great advice! I guess PEP is viewed more favorably for PR application because you're deemed to be more of a "desirable" future member of their society :roll: other than the income threshold and not holding a sponsored EP, any key tips on what will help qualify me for PEP? Thank you again.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 23 Aug 2017 9:07 am

Mn2kl wrote:Thank you that's great advice! I guess PEP is viewed more favorably for PR application because you're deemed to be more of a "desirable" future member of their society :roll: other than the income threshold and not holding a sponsored EP, any key tips on what will help qualify me for PEP? Thank you again.
Thats what everybody believes .. ;)

But those on PEP who applied PR, I know a couple who got rejected within 2 months.

As you would know, the key deciding factor for PR is something else ;)

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 23 Aug 2017 9:29 am

Mn2kl wrote:Thank you that's great advice! I guess PEP is viewed more favorably for PR application because you're deemed to be more of a "desirable" future member of their society :roll:
PEP can be granted I guess pretty easily for high profile managers but when it comes to PR it may be just the other way around because this group is mobile and will follow their jobs.

Personally I see PEP more like a given, time-limited opportunity to explore different options where these options may later help or not when applying for PR.

Mn2kl

Post by Mn2kl » Thu, 24 Aug 2017 8:38 am

Thank you. Yes, it's a fair point, and I suppose we can debate it both ways but at the end of the day we've no idea what they will ultimately judge it as. I personally see PEP as an option that gives me greater flexibility whilst also at least giving me the jusitfication (valid or otherwise..) that it's a step towards PR.

Thanks again for your responses!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 24 Aug 2017 9:45 am

Mn2kl wrote:Thank you. Yes, it's a fair point, and I suppose we can debate it both ways but at the end of the day we've no idea what they will ultimately judge it as. I personally see PEP as an option that gives me greater flexibility whilst also at least giving me the jusitfication (valid or otherwise..) that it's a step towards PR.

Well, post 2010, Singapore has been finding ways to reduce the resident population.

One way is to convert those holding 'redundant' residency, i.e those given PR but Govt don't want them to be future citizens, possibly.

another example of the govt direction, is, say, SC married a Foreigner, in the past, PR or SC was pretty given.

Now, ICA pushes for LTVP, and / or LTVP + and after 3 years, consider for PRs.

And if the candidates asks for PR, ICA says "what is the pressing need for PR ? You just want to stay here right ? "..

In a way, LTVP is same as PR but not the same, when it comes to certain privileges.

Good luck !!!

Mn2kl

Post by Mn2kl » Mon, 28 Aug 2017 10:01 am

ecureilx wrote:
Mn2kl wrote:Thank you. Yes, it's a fair point, and I suppose we can debate it both ways but at the end of the day we've no idea what they will ultimately judge it as. I personally see PEP as an option that gives me greater flexibility whilst also at least giving me the jusitfication (valid or otherwise..) that it's a step towards PR.

Well, post 2010, Singapore has been finding ways to reduce the resident population.

One way is to convert those holding 'redundant' residency, i.e those given PR but Govt don't want them to be future citizens, possibly.

another example of the govt direction, is, say, SC married a Foreigner, in the past, PR or SC was pretty given.

Now, ICA pushes for LTVP, and / or LTVP + and after 3 years, consider for PRs.

And if the candidates asks for PR, ICA says "what is the pressing need for PR ? You just want to stay here right ? "..

In a way, LTVP is same as PR but not the same, when it comes to certain privileges.

Good luck !!!
Thanks again all.

One other question which may be kind of dumb but I'd rather be shameless than get this wrong.. The "fixed monthly salary" requirement - I assume this refers to gross salary, eg. Before pension or medical deductions have benefits made, and NOT the net salary that goes into my bank account? My salary statements do show both!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 28 Aug 2017 11:53 am

Mn2kl wrote: One other question which may be kind of dumb but I'd rather be shameless than get this wrong.. The "fixed monthly salary" requirement - I assume this refers to gross salary, eg. Before pension or medical deductions have benefits made, and NOT the net salary that goes into my bank account? My salary statements do show both!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Not sure how it goes for PEP, but for other purposes, it is basic.

in your case, it should be what the fixed monthly gross.

Mn2kl

EP expiring.. But PEP application still pending!

Post by Mn2kl » Mon, 08 Jan 2018 9:18 pm

Hi all
I previously asked for advice on submitting PEP and got some very helpful responses.

I submitted my PEP application on 22 Oct 2017, aware of the typical 8 week time frame for a decision. Well, it's been over 10 weeks now, and my EP is expiring at the end of February.. I'm getting very nervous. I've not had any contact from MOM, and their hotline just leads me to a final message of "no information available" on my PEP status. The third party service that my employer uses to help expats renew their EPs, have been calling me and urging me to sort it ASAP as they are blocked from submitting my EP renewal until I sort out the PEP application issue! The MOM website says it takes typically three weeks to renew my EP online, but I'm being told I have to get it submitted six weeks in advance ie end of this week!
I see on other threads that I can possibly ask my employer to contact MOM and ask for an extension on my EP due to the pending application, does this sound right? Any other advice on who I can contact to move this along? It doesn't look like the Employment Pass centre takes appointment for pass status updates or any type of "general" enquiry but I really need to talk to an informed human here..

Thanks for any advice provided!!

cosmos2017

Post by cosmos2017 » Wed, 17 Jan 2018 9:29 am

Hi, Mn2kl

When you check your PEP application status on EP online, do you see the "application No." show blank?

Mine is keeping showing blank application No since I submitted the manual application on 4 Dec 2017.

I just want to confirm if it is normal to have a blank application No. when the application was submitted manually.

Thanks.

VSG055

Post by VSG055 » Wed, 17 Jan 2018 2:43 pm

I have submitted my PEP application recently and it is also showing application number as Blank.