Singapore Expats

How fast is it to transfer files from US to Singapore through 1Gbps Fiber?

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
lek1

How fast is it to transfer files from US to Singapore through 1Gbps Fiber?

Post by lek1 » Tue, 15 Aug 2017 2:00 am

Hi guys, I am new here. How are you doing today?

So, I have a pretty decent Fios here in US, with 50Mbps both uplink and downlink. That means the actual upload speed should be around 6Mb/s. I tested it, the speed is legit.

When my wife downloads stuff from my server in US, her speed is like around 300kbps. She has 1Gbps Fiber (StarHub) which is 30Mbps up, 1Gbps down.

So I am wondering, if this is normal that there might be some fast pass in Singapore (like visiting YouTube/NetFlix with faster connection, and Gmail with slower connection), or this is just how it is?

Have you experienced something like this before?

Thanks a bunch.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Re: How fast is it to transfer files from US to Singapore through 1Gbps Fiber?

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 15 Aug 2017 4:05 am

You need to do a tracert to the IP address assigned to your wife's PC. This will show you all the hops it takes to get there and the time for each.

x9200

Re: How fast is it to transfer files from US to Singapore through 1Gbps Fiber?

Post by x9200 » Tue, 15 Aug 2017 6:52 am

lek1 wrote:Hi guys, I am new here. How are you doing today?

So, I have a pretty decent Fios here in US, with 50Mbps both uplink and downlink. That means the actual upload speed should be around 6Mb/s. I tested it, the speed is legit.

When my wife downloads stuff from my server in US, her speed is like around 300kbps. She has 1Gbps Fiber (StarHub) which is 30Mbps up, 1Gbps down.

So I am wondering, if this is normal that there might be some fast pass in Singapore (like visiting YouTube/NetFlix with faster connection, and Gmail with slower connection), or this is just how it is?

Have you experienced something like this before?

Thanks a bunch.
It very much depends on:
1) the other side (here US) provider
2) the time of the day
and not that much on the local (SG) infrastructure

To give you some numbers, and I am still on the copper wires, the typical range for anything from EU and US is 15-1200kB/s (or ~120-10Mb/s).
Local connections within Singapore, 50-2500kB/s

For services like the mentioned YT/FX, there may be also local, physical nodes (servers, cloud, whatever we call them) within SG, so I would not look at them for any estimation.