Singapore Expats

NEED ADVICE...OUR LIVING ROOM TILES EXPLODED!!

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
damcgra

NEED ADVICE...OUR LIVING ROOM TILES EXPLODED!!

Post by damcgra » Sun, 13 Aug 2017 1:04 pm

Hope this is the correct forum, it kind of falls under Landlord issues, so please direct me if somewhere more appropriate.

Here goes. LONG story short, we're currently in a dispute with our ridiculously tight-fisted LL. Our A/C broke on 30th July, rent was paid on 1st August as normal and LL informed about A/C. Although he has been tricky from the start (explaining this would be a whole other message, but in short, he wants nothing to do with actually being a landlord, he just wants his monthly rent and to pretend we don't exist!) we weren't particularly worried about the A/C though as it's clearly stated in the TA that it's on him. However, nearly 2 weeks later, he's refusing to fix it. Reason? Because, although the loud buzzing starts as soon as it's turned on, the air is cool for about 3-5 minutes before it starts blowing warm air. He believes we should just live with the 'inconvenience' of the buzzing sound and turn the A/C off every few minutes when the hot air starts. Obviously this is ridiculous (not to mention we have a 6 month old baby) and we've hardly used the living room this month as it's unbearable without A/C.

ANYWAY, we consulted a lawyer, he said it's not enough to dissolve the TA, but we should basically replace the A/C unit and deduct from Sept 1st rent. This is apparently the best legal option, so we informed the LL this is what we'll be doing if the A/C isnt fixed within 7 days. Needless to say, he's furious and says if we do this we will be starting a 'dispute' with him. we're day 3 into the 7 days notice we've given him - he's clearly not going to fix it, so looks like that's what we'll be doing.

THE PLOT THICKENS! Last night, we're on the couch eating dinner, baby on the floor play-mat in front of us and we suddenly hear horrible loud crackling sound, like fireworks, coming from the floor. It sounded to me like the apartment below us was on fire and this was a burning wood sound. we were petrified - suddenly the tiles started to rise and, no other word for it, explode. Husband grabbed the baby of the floor, a metre away from where it was happening, and yelled at me to get out. We made it out and just watched form the front door as our living room tiles all rose up. If this makes no sense, google 'tiles suddenly popping up' and youtube will show you examples. I can't tell you how scary it was, but anyway, thankfully no fire, no one was hurt, condo management (shockingly uncaring,) came to look at it and said it looks like heat made the tiles expand and there was too much pressure (wonder why the living room was so hot???) Anyway, our living room is completely unusable. cant use the dining room table, or couch - there's essentially no where to sit. There is a small 'safe' path you can squeeze around the outside of the room to get to the kitchen. Baby and I are confined to the bedroom today. Since it happened on a Saturday night and today is Sunday, we're stuck with it for now it seems. Landlord has been informed (I'm sure he'll find a way to blame us...over-used the floor perhaps?) anyway he's coming by this evening to view it. Our agent is advising that we just tell him we're dissolving the tenancy agreement and moving out by the end of the month if it isn't fixed ASAP. The A/C has totally taken a backseat, but it's obviously still a factor in how habitable the place is right now.

ADVICE NEEDED...Im scared that, while this is certainly the sanest option if the LL refuses to fix it, or wants to take his sweet time (having seen the video and photos, he's asked us to 'live with it') can we legally get out of the TA AND have a good case to get our security deposit back in full?? I accept that the latter may not happen, but that seems so unfair and I'd be willing to go to a small claims court over it, but will they be black and white and say 'you dissolved the TA without LL's permission, tough luck' or will they take into account that the place is basically unliveable?!

Any advice on how to handle this with the LL tonight? Or has the popping tiles ever happened to anyone else here? it seems to come under structural damage...how long did it take to fix?

Any help or advice so appreciated. Feeling pretty low right now. Thanks!

Search By

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: NEED ADVICE...OUR LIVING ROOM TILES EXPLODED!!

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 13 Aug 2017 4:28 pm

The place is uninhabitable.

Because you've engaged a lawyer rely on his advice but I suggest:

1. You have said lawyer write a letter requesting immediate cancellation of lease and refund of deposit OR

2. LL pay for a hotel (service apt) while the repairs are effected.

Use the lawyer.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 13 Aug 2017 5:02 pm

PNGMK wrote:The place is uninhabitable.

1. You have said lawyer write a letter requesting immediate cancellation of lease and refund of deposit OR

Use the lawyer.
I would not want to have any engagement with a LL tells you to suck it up when things are faulty.

While the Air con issue may go the way of the guy who sued Rolls Royce for excessive noise, and lost, the exploding floor is enough to hit the final nail.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 13 Aug 2017 7:17 pm

ecureilx wrote:
PNGMK wrote:The place is uninhabitable.

Use the lawyer.
I would not want to have any engagement with a LL tells you to suck it up when things are faulty.

While the Air con issue may go the way of the guy who sued Rolls Royce for excessive noise, and lost, the exploding floor is enough to hit the final nail.
OP has a lease; OP cannot just disengage.... she has to explain why. Use lawyer, put fear of court into LL. FYI I had the same problem years ago (both aircon and tiles lifting) and ended up moving out - in short the LL did nothing so not left with much choice.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 13 Aug 2017 8:31 pm

damcgra wrote:Hope this is the correct forum, it kind of falls under Landlord issues, so please direct me if somewhere more appropriate.

Here goes. LONG story short, we're currently in a dispute with our ridiculously tight-fisted LL. Our A/C broke on 30th July, rent was paid on 1st August as normal and LL informed about A/C. Although he has been tricky from the start (explaining this would be a whole other message, but in short, he wants nothing to do with actually being a landlord, he just wants his monthly rent and to pretend we don't exist!) we weren't particularly worried about the A/C though as it's clearly stated in the TA that it's on him. However, nearly 2 weeks later, he's refusing to fix it. Reason? Because, although the loud buzzing starts as soon as it's turned on, the air is cool for about 3-5 minutes before it starts blowing warm air. He believes we should just live with the 'inconvenience' of the buzzing sound and turn the A/C off every few minutes when the hot air starts. Obviously this is ridiculous (not to mention we have a 6 month old baby) and we've hardly used the living room this month as it's unbearable without A/C.

ANYWAY, we consulted a lawyer, he said it's not enough to dissolve the TA, but we should basically replace the A/C unit and deduct from Sept 1st rent. This is apparently the best legal option, so we informed the LL this is what we'll be doing if the A/C isnt fixed within 7 days. Needless to say, he's furious and says if we do this we will be starting a 'dispute' with him. we're day 3 into the 7 days notice we've given him - he's clearly not going to fix it, so looks like that's what we'll be doing.

THE PLOT THICKENS! Last night, we're on the couch eating dinner, baby on the floor play-mat in front of us and we suddenly hear horrible loud crackling sound, like fireworks, coming from the floor. It sounded to me like the apartment below us was on fire and this was a burning wood sound. we were petrified - suddenly the tiles started to rise and, no other word for it, explode. Husband grabbed the baby of the floor, a metre away from where it was happening, and yelled at me to get out. We made it out and just watched form the front door as our living room tiles all rose up. If this makes no sense, google 'tiles suddenly popping up' and youtube will show you examples. I can't tell you how scary it was, but anyway, thankfully no fire, no one was hurt, condo management (shockingly uncaring,) came to look at it and said it looks like heat made the tiles expand and there was too much pressure (wonder why the living room was so hot???) Anyway, our living room is completely unusable. cant use the dining room table, or couch - there's essentially no where to sit. There is a small 'safe' path you can squeeze around the outside of the room to get to the kitchen. Baby and I are confined to the bedroom today. Since it happened on a Saturday night and today is Sunday, we're stuck with it for now it seems. Landlord has been informed (I'm sure he'll find a way to blame us...over-used the floor perhaps?) anyway he's coming by this evening to view it. Our agent is advising that we just tell him we're dissolving the tenancy agreement and moving out by the end of the month if it isn't fixed ASAP. The A/C has totally taken a backseat, but it's obviously still a factor in how habitable the place is right now.

ADVICE NEEDED...Im scared that, while this is certainly the sanest option if the LL refuses to fix it, or wants to take his sweet time (having seen the video and photos, he's asked us to 'live with it') can we legally get out of the TA AND have a good case to get our security deposit back in full?? I accept that the latter may not happen, but that seems so unfair and I'd be willing to go to a small claims court over it, but will they be black and white and say 'you dissolved the TA without LL's permission, tough luck' or will they take into account that the place is basically unliveable?!

Any advice on how to handle this with the LL tonight? Or has the popping tiles ever happened to anyone else here? it seems to come under structural damage...how long did it take to fix?

Any help or advice so appreciated. Feeling pretty low right now. Thanks!
To be on a safe side, you should give the LL some reasonable time to fix the issues. I would say, up to 2 weeks for everything. All can be fixed within a few days I believe so this should be enough.

I didn't experience bulging/popping up floor tiles, but I experienced a total replacement of all the tiles in a bathroom (stress-cracked). This was a painful experience -> hammering down all the tiles. I would not agree to do anything like this with a 6mo on board so if this is necessary for your case this also means you should get a substitute accommodation for the repair time.

Generally I would agree with the advice to follow suggestions of your lawyer because my feeling is, it's not all that clean cut as your agent suggests.
TBP, if the LL would agree to fix it, provide accommodation etc. I don't think you would be free to terminate the TA, but I also have doubts to what extent you should get engaged into the repairs arranging them by yourself and later claiming from the LL. For the A/C - maybe; for the tiles - maybe not. There must somewhere be a line and the lawyer should help with this.

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Mon, 14 Aug 2017 11:11 am

how old/new is the place?

i can see how the LL may think the tiles were a direct result of negligence by the tenant...

and the tenant may have to prove otherwise...

so the only winner (as usual) in this case is the lawyer.

use your lawyer to your advantage, but don't expect him/her to do all the thinking for you.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 14 Aug 2017 1:15 pm

taxico wrote:i can see how the LL may think the tiles were a direct result of negligence by the tenant...
How?

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 14 Aug 2017 3:31 pm

x9200 wrote:
taxico wrote:i can see how the LL may think the tiles were a direct result of negligence by the tenant...
How?
I assume damage but heat expansion is not damage caused by a tenant.

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Mon, 14 Aug 2017 7:12 pm

an unreasonable landlord does not care about "how" but will instead insist that it's not the LL's responsibility to cover said damage.

i can't profess to know exactly how, but i KNOW a singaporean LL will be quick to deduct from the deposit first and sort any repayment(s) out later. or at the very least, try to do that.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 14 Aug 2017 8:36 pm

Oh, ok, but all signs already tell us that this story will end in SCT anyway so more unreasonable the LL is...

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 17 Aug 2017 6:00 pm

mattsfrigian wrote:Many companies offer good garage door repairing services. I recommend that you hire someone to get your garage door repaired if you haven’t worked on a garage door before. There are qualified professionals who have years of experience in garage door repair and it will be better for you to hire any of them.
Floor become garage door ah?

How many house in Singapore have garages?