Singapore Expats

New SC & National Service

Do you have a question about National Service (NS) in Singapore? Discuss it here.
user3158

Re: New SC & National Service

Post by user3158 » Fri, 11 Aug 2017 11:29 pm

PNGMK wrote:No one really has seen a lot of cases like this.

IMO you're going to be treated as citizen who has failed to enlist shortly with the associated penalties. Why the freak you did not check this out before you got a Singapore passport (instead of renouncing it) I do not know.
Well I did. I don't have much choice. Regardless if I do or do don't take up Citizenship I still have to do it. I'd just like to live and work here. So I wanted to get an idea from folks here as my case is highly non-standard. Since it's not just me anymore.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 11 Aug 2017 11:37 pm

Did everybody miss the fact that this guy is a defaulter. He's 37 not 17. In three years he will be too old for NS. Please read the link I posted earlier. That happened in April/May of this year. He's held dual citizenship well past the age of 21 on top of being a defaulter. That in itself is illegal in Singapore. I'm afraid I don't see a happy ending to this little saga. I envision 28 months of jail time and a hefty fine once he presents himself to Mindef/CMPB or immigration with his Singapore Passport. (which, by the way, it is illegal to come into Singapore on your foreign passport if you are holding Singapore citizenship. The same goes for entering the US with a Singapore Passport if you are an American citizen. There are going to be some dire consequences on this case, I fear.

Sorry, user3158, but your case isn't unusual at all, there have been dozens in your situation. Most are smart and stay away from Singapore and the closest they get is JB where the family can come across to meet them because they know, once they step inside of Singapore, they are going to do time and fine. Additionally, they would be lucky to be given an EP let alone getting PR or more. You should, in my opinion, write Singapore off forever as you will not like what is coming if you try to do what you are planning.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

user3158

Post by user3158 » Fri, 11 Aug 2017 11:51 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Did everybody miss the fact that this guy is a defaulter. He's 37 not 17. In three years he will be too old for NS. Please read the link I posted earlier. That happened in April/May of this year. He's held dual citizenship well past the age of 21 on top of being a defaulter. That in itself is illegal in Singapore. I'm afraid I don't see a happy ending to this little saga. I envision 28 months of jail time and a hefty fine once he presents himself to Mindef/CMPB or immigration with his Singapore Passport. (which, by the way, it is illegal to come into Singapore on your foreign passport if you are holding Singapore citizenship. The same goes for entering the US with a Singapore Passport if you are an American citizen. There are going to be some dire consequences on this case, I fear.
Well, I have to disagree. Because I've traveled there multiple times. More so recently because of my work. I usually go about every three months for a week. I was there last week for a four hour transit and had zero issues. So, obviously I'm doing something right. Because this is after IC and PP issuance. I'd just like to get past the firewall of template replies so I can make a sound decision. But it looks like just go there and see what the case by case deems me. I understand it's different if I've had benefits, but at this point it's zero unless you count the last month that I've paid for the IC and PP.

I understand the fine and time, but at this point I'm being treated at 16.5 going on 38.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 12 Aug 2017 12:29 am

Good Luck. Let us know how it turns out. I'd like to see one actually come out of this unscathed. :-D
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

user3158

Post by user3158 » Sat, 12 Aug 2017 12:55 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Good Luck. Let us know how it turns out. I'd like to see one actually come out of this unscathed. :-D
Thanks me too!

If anyone has any other input it'd be great to have. Thanks for all your input so far.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sat, 12 Aug 2017 2:01 pm

I can only assume you have slipped through the cracks so far or mistakenly been categorized as exempt from NS (on the assumption that you became a SC after the age of XX).
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Sat, 12 Aug 2017 2:03 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Did everybody miss the fact that this guy is a defaulter. He's 37 not 17.
Not me. That was my first thought. My second was how on earth this hasn't been picked up yet.

FYI there is a way for OP to get around this and that is to quickly go for a sex reassignment (MTF).

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 12 Aug 2017 3:00 pm

I'm more interested in how he's working in Singapore for a week every two or three months. I'd like to know what kind of visa he is on. Sounds rather illegal to me, if he's working on an SVP (which doesn't take any in-depth knowledge about family background, etc., etc.) There seems to be something fishy in Denmark if you know what I mean.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 12 Aug 2017 3:17 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I'm more interested in how he's working in Singapore for a week every two or three months. I'd like to know what kind of visa he is on. Sounds rather illegal to me, if he's working on an SVP (which doesn't take any in-depth knowledge about family background, etc., etc.) There seems to be something fishy in Denmark if you know what I mean.
If he is an SC he has the right to work.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Sat, 12 Aug 2017 3:25 pm

user3158 wrote:Hello, I have been reading through the forums trying to find a bit more information about this. But could only find information as close as PR and National Service pre-enlistment.

Long story short, my parents took me out of Singapore when I was less than one. Never got any IC or PP until just last month. This is because I will be / am hoping to move to Singapore to work and live with my wife and son.

In doing all of this, one of the duties was to fill out my NS requirements. They've sent me a reporting order, they don't consider me a defaulter. I can go in and out of the country on my passport that I have been originally using. With no issues.

CMPB has sent me a kind letter letting me know to come in to do my pre-enlistment process for full-time NS. I just wanted to check if at my tender age of thirty-seven will they really be trying to force me to do this? I've tried emailing them and calling to get a clearer explanation but I still only get the cookie cutter responses. "Full-time NS men cannot undertake salaried / contract work ..." and "make necessary arrangements for your family while you are fulfilling your NS obligations"

I have seen other posts here about PRs and getting exemptions and such. I have no idea if mine would go down the same route or not. Or will it come down to them really wanting to squeeze those two years out of me, forcing me out of my paying job and being able to support my family? How concerned should I be concerned for a two year full stop?

Thanks for your time.
Quoting for prosperity... because you know....

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Sat, 12 Aug 2017 3:30 pm

user3158 wrote:
taxico wrote:
user3158 wrote:
So you believe that even at my age now they will still put me through all of that? Not just work more and pay more into the government that way? I am just curious as a lot of PR holders seem to get a break when married and over 25 holding a decent paying job.
are you sure you aren't mistaken about PRs that "get a break"...?

you have not answered (all of) sunday's questions. in any case, it does not appear you are/were a PR...
Hi sorry I must have missed it.

I have never been a PR, I was born there. My mother was a local, father was US. They never bothered to file anything on the SG side, hence me actively going to get it so I can go there to work.

I can go in and out of the country still as I have not done anything illegal at this point. I did get a further reporting order, what looks like they give to everyone for pre-enlistment. It has the report date, and what they'd like to do if I don't show up. I just would like to know since my case isn't normal if there is a chance were everyone can walk away happy, or we all go away unhappy.
Another quote for prosperity.