Singapore Expats

WP Man Planning To Marry Singaporean Lady

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
noora

WP Man Planning To Marry Singaporean Lady

Post by noora » Tue, 08 Aug 2017 2:45 am

Hi everyone! I would like to ask if it is possible to get married to a WP holder if I am a Singaporean? I read in the Employment Act that it states:

"The foreign employee shall not go through any form of marriage or apply to marry under any law, religion, custom or usage with a Singapore citizen or permanent resident in or outside Singapore, without the prior approval of the Controller, while the foreign employee holds a work permit, and also after the foreign employee’s work permit has expired or has been cancelled or revoked.

If the foreign employee is a female foreign employee, the foreign employee shall not become pregnant or deliver any child in Singapore during and after the validity period of her work permit, unless she is a work permit holder who is already married to a Singapore citizen or permanent resident with the approval of the Controller, or as the Controller allows in any particular case. "

and this:

"If the foreign employee contravenes any of the work permit conditions applicable to the foreign employee, and the employer has knowledge of the contravention, the employer shall inform the Controller and, if required by the Controller, apply for the cancellation of the foreign employee’s work permit and visit pass and comply with any other instruction from the Controller with respect to the contravention."

Checked on MOM website that they have this Marriage Approval Form (like how likelihood will MOM approve?). What are the steps should we take into consideration? Planning to get married in 2yrs time or wait till I am financially stable after I graduate from uni.

Our profile:
Me:
Singaporean
Soon-to-be graduate

Him:
Malaysian
Diploma from Malaysia
Technician

Seeing other postings in here, seems like very hard to marry WP. In dilema to continue the relationship.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: WP Man Planning To Marry Singaporean Lady

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 08 Aug 2017 6:55 am

noora wrote:
Seeing other postings in here, seems like very hard to marry WP. In dilema to continue the relationship.
You can seek permission from MOM.

If they refuse, go to your MP.

It's not all bad

niceit198

Post by niceit198 » Tue, 08 Aug 2017 3:18 pm

Hi,

Please check with your boyfriend, 1st job apply in singapore. it should come with letter from employer stating that PERmit holder require obtain appoval to married singaporean/pr or not, my info from 2010 =D.

Im just SPM ex-WP holder married with singapoean lady, if your boyfriend cant find any document like i said, u are require go mom fill a form for approval

noora

Post by noora » Thu, 10 Aug 2017 3:19 pm

ecureilx wrote:
noora wrote:
You can seek permission from MOM.

If they refuse, go to your MP.

It's not all bad
Will try seek MOM permission soon. Thank you! But then again, what do MOM look at?

noora

Post by noora » Thu, 10 Aug 2017 3:21 pm

niceit198 wrote:Hi,

Please check with your boyfriend, 1st job apply in singapore. it should come with letter from employer stating that PERmit holder require obtain appoval to married singaporean/pr or not, my info from 2010 =D.

Im just SPM ex-WP holder married with singapoean lady, if your boyfriend cant find any document like i said, u are require go mom fill a form for approval
His employment contract does not include that clause saying need seek permission to get married. So we still need to go MOM to fill up form. Maybe it would be good to share what you went thru? Thank you!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 10 Aug 2017 5:46 pm

The document is the 'Application for a Work Permit' and it's Declaration at the bottom of the page has to be signed by the Work Permit Applicant. This declaration indicates that Applicant has been read and understood the Conditions of Work Permits so they have no excuse.

Conditions of Work Permits.

You have already quoted the relevant bits in an earlier post.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

niceit198

Post by niceit198 » Sun, 20 Aug 2017 11:24 pm

Yes, u just need to apply in MoM, wait for the result.result could be, approve or reject or not require to obtain approval to get married with singaporean/pr.
noora wrote:
niceit198 wrote:Hi,

His employment contract does not include that clause saying need seek permission to get married. So we still need to go MOM to fill up form. Maybe it would be good to share what you went thru? Thank you!

LeeTheMan

Post by LeeTheMan » Sat, 02 Sep 2017 3:28 pm

noora wrote:Hi everyone! I would like to ask if it is possible to get married to a WP holder if I am a Singaporean? I read in the Employment Act that it states:

"The foreign employee shall not go through any form of marriage or apply to marry under any law, religion, custom or usage with a Singapore citizen or permanent resident in or outside Singapore, without the prior approval of the Controller, while the foreign employee holds a work permit, and also after the foreign employee’s work permit has expired or has been cancelled or revoked.

If the foreign employee is a female foreign employee, the foreign employee shall not become pregnant or deliver any child in Singapore during and after the validity period of her work permit, unless she is a work permit holder who is already married to a Singapore citizen or permanent resident with the approval of the Controller, or as the Controller allows in any particular case. "

and this:

"If the foreign employee contravenes any of the work permit conditions applicable to the foreign employee, and the employer has knowledge of the contravention, the employer shall inform the Controller and, if required by the Controller, apply for the cancellation of the foreign employee’s work permit and visit pass and comply with any other instruction from the Controller with respect to the contravention."

Checked on MOM website that they have this Marriage Approval Form (like how likelihood will MOM approve?). What are the steps should we take into consideration? Planning to get married in 2yrs time or wait till I am financially stable after I graduate from uni.

Our profile:
Me:
Singaporean
Soon-to-be graduate

Him:
Malaysian
Diploma from Malaysia
Technician

Hi Noora,

I was in a similar situation, we were not actually aware of this permission to marry a Singapore Citizen rule;- I was advised by the Immigration when they checked I am ex-WP holder.

Hmm you should fill up the form and in the form, and submit together with documents mentioned in the checklist via mail or thru iSubmit http://www.mom.gov.sg/isubmit
select 6. Work Permit Application Matters for business factors' under"Request Type" (its a selection with a drop down box)

Although it say its will take about 4 weeks but I had received mine within 2 weeks of application. (Faster than snail mail :lol: my Local Singapore friend applied for his to wed a foreign bride) be sure to include both highest education certification (I would suggest you apply once after your graduation)

Basically the checks in my opinion, are to check the education status and whether you have the ability to earn and to rule out the possibilities of a marriage of convenience.

Secondly, it should not be tough as the SC is a female and he's not likely to get pregnant :-D

Emailing them to check on updates of the status tends to speed things up as well.

you should get the approval / rejection letter.

good luck!
I am a patriot, just not a Kpop and Kdrama fan

Too overplayed :mrgreen:

" To do something that you feel in your heart that's great, you need to make a lot of mistakes. Anything that's successful is a series of mistakes " Billie Joe A.

Col Tan 91

Post by Col Tan 91 » Sat, 27 Jan 2018 9:53 pm

Work permit holder get pregnant for 2 months and still managed to get approval for marriaged from MOM to a singaporean and now already a long term pass. Please kindly advice why can work permit holder get pregnant before marriage.

okonu
Regular
Regular

Post by okonu » Mon, 29 Jan 2018 10:11 am

Col Tan 91 wrote:Work permit holder get pregnant for 2 months and still managed to get approval for marriaged from MOM to a singaporean and now already a long term pass. Please kindly advice why can work permit holder get pregnant before marriage.
Well, you see, when two people love each other very much, they share special hugs. And during these special hugs, something magical can happen called 'fertilisation'.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 29 Jan 2018 2:55 pm

^^^^ :cool: :mrgreen: =D> :lol: :lol:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers