Singapore Expats

Forewarned is Foreamed

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.
microscopic

Re: Forewarned is Foreamed

Post by microscopic » Thu, 10 Aug 2017 10:15 am

Taxico and PNGMK, I concede that both of you have a point. Certainly the public had a strong reaction to many defaulter cases, and that at least in part led to the Government's stronger stance towards defaulters.

But in my mind, this is also precisely why we need the other side of the story. Because the media usually covers court cases, where the defaulters are likely to be found guilty because it is easy to prove that someone has defaulted, based on Mindef's records. We don't get to hear the defaulters speak - their personal difficulties, their remorse, their willingness to make amends for a genuine mistake, their feelings about being separated from their families etc. The story is already biased against them.

To answer your point, taxico, I think whatever good that will come out of it will depend on what their stories are. Readers might react differently if they think someone defaulted for a selfish reason versus a legitimate one. I don't intend to pass any judgement on that, that's for readers to decide. What I hope is that for once, by featuring their stories, we give them a fair hearing, as the usual coverage already sees them as 'guilty'. My point was that, if there are genuine cases, we can at least change one or two minds that assume all defaulters default for the same reason.

Again, I stress that we will only feature those that understand they are speaking with the media and are willing to do so. I will explain to them what the feature is about, how their story will be told, how they will be quoted etc.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 10 Aug 2017 10:48 am

microscopic wrote: Again, I stress that we will only feature those that understand they are speaking with the media and are willing to do so. I will explain to them what the feature is about, how their story will be told, how they will be quoted etc.
Idle question, no replies expected :D

Will you include the age, race and sex (it would be male here, of course... ) of the person being featured ? :D

I never figured out why the Media here must say the person's age, full name, and race and all ..

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 10 Aug 2017 4:02 pm

Simply, there is not a 5th amendment here. The media has absolutely no respect for the concerns and privacy of the public if they are interested in a story. This especially so if it's in the Daily Birdcage Liner. They don't even have the capability to vet the stories they pick off of the newswires. Just posting fake news with wild abandon. I'd not give them two seconds of my time as I'd be either misquoted or taken out of context within the first minute of conversation.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 10 Aug 2017 4:22 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Simply, there is not a 5th amendment here. The media has absolutely no respect for the concerns and privacy of the public if they are interested in a story. This especially so if it's in the Daily Birdcage Liner. They don't even have the capability to vet the stories they pick off of the newswires. Just posting fake news with wild abandon. I'd not give them two seconds of my time as I'd be either misquoted or taken out of context within the first minute of conversation.
Give them some credit :D

While publishing the full name and age and race of the interviewees, they have so far not published IC #s

More than once I was asked my IC #, when some reporter wanted to hear some words !!

Wonder why ah ????

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Fri, 11 Aug 2017 4:56 pm

microscopic wrote: Again, I stress that we will only feature those that understand they are speaking with the media and are willing to do so. I will explain to them what the feature is about, how their story will be told, how they will be quoted etc.
I have been sitting on the fence but can't help it to have a dig at your people.
If my memory serves me right , aren't you the guys that exposed the guy we caught overseas after g being a deserter for 7 years or more in the late 70s. If I recall you guys had an "interview" with him then on we snatched him from his bed.
What about the white horse in the '80s that were forced or should I say coerce to return to serve after investigative journalist knock on their parent doors.?
Shall I go on ? Nah......

One thing I do know the birds that tweet in Singapore are all double edged two faced
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

Return to “Strictly Speaking”