Singapore Expats

Vending Machine

Discuss your views about Singapore business & economy, current policies & issues, starting a business in Singapore.
OtterSpace

Vending Machine

Post by OtterSpace » Thu, 03 Aug 2017 11:09 am

Hi friends,
Im thinking of starting a vending machine business. Been googling about but not much information found, especially on sourcing for locations to install vending machine. Have a couple ideas on locations but how do I get the people to rent me the space just for the machine? All I found were shop rentals... Please feel free to share your ideas; contacts, rentals, locations, costs. Anything helps!
Thanks!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Vending Machine

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 03 Aug 2017 12:32 pm

OtterSpace wrote:Hi friends,
Im thinking of starting a vending machine business. Been googling about but not much information found, especially on sourcing for locations to install vending machine. Have a couple ideas on locations but how do I get the people to rent me the space just for the machine? All I found were shop rentals... Please feel free to share your ideas; contacts, rentals, locations, costs. Anything helps!
Thanks!
Are you in Singapore ?

OtterSpace

Post by OtterSpace » Thu, 03 Aug 2017 1:17 pm

Yes singapore

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 03 Aug 2017 1:32 pm

This business is dominated by MNC's... however for locations I suggest you speak to shop tenants who may sublet you a corner (and power)
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

OtterSpace

Post by OtterSpace » Thu, 03 Aug 2017 1:43 pm

Its fine, I wont be vending food and sodas. These are way too common, will be vending other items instead. Meanwhile, I need to get the locations set first. Asking local business owners one by one doesnt seem quite feasible, is there a locator service or something? Any recommendations?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 03 Aug 2017 2:50 pm

OtterSpace wrote:Its fine, I wont be vending food and sodas. These are way too common, will be vending other items instead. Meanwhile, I need to get the locations set first. Asking local business owners one by one doesnt seem quite feasible, is there a locator service or something? Any recommendations?
Do a search for iJooz. They are a vending machine startup who are going gangbusters and are preparing to go international in just a little over a year in operation so while common, if you can find a new way of doing something it will still work. They currently have something like 50 units in place already and are on their 3rd iteration of the juicing vending machine. I'm plugging this only because one of the principals of this startup is one of our members here and I think maybe x9200 & squirrel will remember him as he also attended a couple of our Eagles Gatherings a couple years ago. Once at the outdoor foodcourt on Cavenagh Rd. Goes by the nick of ev-disinfection. At any rate. he does go around scouting and using the direct approach with stores/organizations, etc. It works. They also use FB and some other on-line venues (including U-tube). My point is, you need to get a feel for the ground and work it. Build personal relationships. I think he's going into Malaysia next. From there, the world. Pretty nifty idea (although it's in the F&B field).

http://www.fruitsvending.com/
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

OtterSpace

Post by OtterSpace » Thu, 03 Aug 2017 4:08 pm

Alright! I will talk to the business owners if the location is suitable. Thanks for the suggestion. If I want to install the machine on public area like on the streets, bus interchange, community centre etc which are the management in charge? PA, SMRT, SLA?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 03 Aug 2017 4:52 pm

Probably SMRT or LTA and SLA. Aldo HDB or Town Centre of the different housing estates are a good place as well. I know he's got a bunch in a number of town centres like, as you mentioned, PA might be a good place as most of the CC's are PA operated and depending on what you are vending, might be a good idea. However, you could probably forget adult toys, rubber dolls & scented KY Jelly. ;-) Good luck.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 03 Aug 2017 5:10 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Probably SMRT or LTA and SLA. Aldo HDB or Town Centre of the different housing estates are a good place as well. I know he's got a bunch in a number of town centres like, as you mentioned, PA might be a good place as most of the CC's are PA operated and depending on what you are vending, might be a good idea. However, you could probably forget adult toys, rubber dolls & scented KY Jelly. ;-) Good luck.
And tobacco and chewing gum and ... well, who knows what they gonna ban tomorrow ? :D :D

OtterSpace

Post by OtterSpace » Thu, 03 Aug 2017 5:39 pm

Thanks for the advise, do keep them coming. Definitely not adult toys :-" targeted audience are teenagers/ young adults. Which areas got more of them hanging out?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 03 Aug 2017 6:42 pm

OtterSpace wrote:Thanks for the advise, do keep them coming. Definitely not adult toys :-" targeted audience are teenagers/ young adults. Which areas got more of them hanging out?
Scape / Cathay Cineplex
Headland malls
Suntec

I guess you need to do some leg work there.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 03 Aug 2017 10:10 pm

You can vend clean shirts, clean underwear, under arm deodorant, etc at Four Floors, for those that need to clean themselves up before going home after a night of "entertainment".

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 03 Aug 2017 11:16 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:You can vend clean shirts, clean underwear, under arm deodorant, etc at Four Floors, for those that need to clean themselves up before going home after a night of "entertainment".
:cool: Nice one SE! That would probably be a money maker for sure. Could put a couple with cheaper stuff down in Geylang as well. ;-)

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 04 Aug 2017 8:23 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Do a search for iJooz. They are a vending machine startup who are going gangbusters and are preparing to go international in just a little over a year in operation so while common, if you can find a new way of doing something it will still work. They currently have something like 50 units in place already and are on their 3rd iteration of the juicing vending machine. I'm plugging this only because one of the principals of this startup is one of our members here and I think maybe x9200 & squirrel will remember him as he also attended a couple of our Eagles Gatherings a couple years ago. Once at the outdoor foodcourt on Cavenagh Rd. Goes by the nick of ev-disinfection. At any rate. he does go around scouting and using the direct approach with stores/organizations, etc. It works. They also use FB and some other on-line venues (including U-tube). My point is, you need to get a feel for the ground and work it. Build personal relationships. I think he's going into Malaysia next. From there, the world. Pretty nifty idea (although it's in the F&B field).

http://www.fruitsvending.com/
Interesting. Funny enough, we have one of his machines at work. Looks impressive and very tempting, but I see hardly anybody using it. I will drink some juice to him on Monday!

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 04 Aug 2017 8:32 am

OtterSpace wrote:Thanks for the advise, do keep them coming. Definitely not adult toys :-" targeted audience are teenagers/ young adults. Which areas got more of them hanging out?
Cinemas, vicinity of Starbucks and such where the bastards occupy tables for hours ordering a single item, void decks of large shopping malls, obviously schools and their vicinities, any shops selling idiotic mobile phone accessories...
Think about things already being sold and targeting them but belonging to a different product group - for examples, outlets selling bubble tee (or whatever is attracting them right now).