Singapore Expats

Pending PR Application - 3 Questions

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
HermanHesse

Pending PR Application - 3 Questions

Post by HermanHesse » Wed, 02 Aug 2017 9:13 pm

Hi,

I have 3 questions regarding my pending PR application.

Profile:
- 29 years old European male
- Applied via SG spouse in October 2016 (got married a few months prior)
- 7 years in SG (2 years studying, 3 years working under S-Pass, 2 years working under EP)
- Marketing Professional
- Applied once before in 2014

Questions:
1) Can a minister help to expedite a PR application?
My wife and I have been advised to approach our Minister, but surely a Minister cannot have any say in these matters except when it comes to writing an appeal letter?

2) As I applied via my spouse, would it jeopardise my pending PR application if I resign from my job under employment pass?
Note: I do understand that it may sound ridiculously stupid to consider resigning during the pending process, but I have a 3 months resignation period and I am finding it harder and harder to tolerate my work environment.

3) Why is my application taking so damn long?
Hehe any insights to this question is appreciated.

On a final note, I greatly appreciate the time and consideration people on this forum gives to these kind of threads. It means a lot to those of us that are still waiting for a reply.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Pending PR Application - 3 Questions

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 02 Aug 2017 9:41 pm

It's a numbers game, 25,000 PR approvals p.a. - Europeans are <3% of the population. That means even if the approval are pro rated (which they are not - Indians are out of favour) you're only see ~500 to 750 Euros approved per year. Fortunately the bias is towards breeders not leavers and I think you'll fall into that category.

However there are no better jobs in Singapore. I would much much rather work in Europe than this hell hole.

PS why so long? They keep slots open and fill them up as the applications come in - take some of the top of the pile and approve every so often. Yours is somewhere in that pile - if the quota (and don't kid me - there is one) runs out before they get to yours this time period (and I don't know how long the period is - maybe quarterly) then you wait for the next time period. If your application ends up being below some cut off point in the pile (for example less than 33% of the way up) on review (annual?) it gets thrown out.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

HermanHesse

Post by HermanHesse » Thu, 03 Aug 2017 6:16 pm

Thanks for the quick reply!

Finally some insight that I hadn't read before - the "ethnicity pile theory" makes a lot of sense and would explain why i can't compare myself with Malaysian Chinese for ex.

With some luck my papers will hopefully find their way to the top of that pile before the end of this month.

BigginHill
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by BigginHill » Fri, 04 Aug 2017 10:38 am

The government grants around 30,000 PR's year - this total is a stated policy quota.

However, less than half of those are alloted to professionals - the majority goes to people applying via the family scheme.

https://www.nptd.gov.sg/PORTALS/0/HOMEP ... nd-prs.pdf

There really is no great mystery to getting a PR in Singapore.

Primarily you should be perceived as quality citizen material. They need 20,000 PRs a year to convert into citizenship.

The rest would need a stand-out resume/circumstances, luck & good timing to make it into the remaining quota. When the quota is filled the rest gets rejected, including objectively highly qualified applicants.

Read: If you're not "citizen material", you really shouldn't plan your life around getting PR. Keep a plan B & C. If you do get it, great!
if the quota (and don't kid me - there is one)
Completely agree - at the very least they would definitely have race & possibly nationality based sub-quotas for PR allocation.

For PR there's also the GIP scheme, but that one is mostly for attracting *new* investors outside SG. The requirements are substantial. Also I believe the numbers admitted on GIP pr year is quite low. The scheme is mostly for SG public relations.

So in total, maybe around 5,000 PRs/year are up for grabs for professionals who doesn't fit the citizenship mould. There's a total of 372,000 people on EP & S pass. So there you go!

DirkBianchi

Post by DirkBianchi » Mon, 31 May 2021 5:21 am

BigginHills wrote:
Mon, 08 Jan 2446 10:11 pm
The government grants around 30,000 PR's year - this total is a stated policy quota.

However, less than half of those are alloted to professionals - the majority goes to people applying via the family scheme.

https://www.nptd.gov.sg/PORTALS/0/HOMEP ... nd-prs.pdf

There really is no great mystery to getting a PR in Singapore.

Primarily you should be perceived as quality citizen material. They need 20,000 PRs a year to convert into citizenship.

The rest would need a stand-out resume/circumstances, luck & good timing to make it into the remaining quota. When the quota is filled the rest gets rejected, including objectively highly qualified applicants.

Read: If you're not "citizen material", you really shouldn't plan your life around getting PR. Keep a plan B & C. If you do get it, great!
if the quota (and don't kid me - there is one)
Completely agree - at the very least they would definitely have race & possibly nationality based sub-quotas for PR allocation.

For PR there's also the GIP scheme, but that one is mostly for attracting *new* investors outside SG. The requirements are substantial. Also I believe the numbers admitted on GIP pr year is quite low. The scheme is mostly for SG public relations.

So in total, maybe around 5,000 PRs/year are up for grabs for professionals who doesn't fit the citizenship mould. There's a total of 372,000 people on EP & S pass. So there you go!
My PR application has been pending for over 16 month (since Jan 2020). And I know the batch of 2020 May of applications is now being processed. This means mine is way slower than others and it might be considered a complex application.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 31 May 2021 11:14 am

Are you here in SG? or in Calif?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers