Singapore Expats

Tax on goods i bought from my home country

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Brittany

Tax on goods i bought from my home country

Post by Brittany » Mon, 31 Jul 2017 11:56 am

Hello, I'm new to Sing', an Employment Pass holder.

Can anyone help by answering me, if I go back to my home country for a short vacation like 3 to 7 days and buy cosmetics/face care products and bring them back to Sing' for my own consumption, in this case, when i go back to Sing' and upon arrival at the customs, do i have to declare these goods and pay tax for these?

How about inexpensive items like new clothes, a pair of new sneakers, a hairdryer, some printed books?

How about a new handbag costing around SGD 460? A new pair of leather shoes costing about SGD1,000?

I need your help :) Deeply appreciate!

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Tax on goods i bought from my home country

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 31 Jul 2017 1:07 pm

Brittany wrote:Hello, I'm new to Sing', an Employment Pass holder.

Can anyone help by answering me, if I go back to my home country for a short vacation like 3 to 7 days and buy cosmetics/face care products and bring them back to Sing' for my own consumption, in this case, when i go back to Sing' and upon arrival at the customs, do i have to declare these goods and pay tax for these?

How about inexpensive items like new clothes, a pair of new sneakers, a hairdryer, some printed books?

How about a new handbag costing around SGD 460? A new pair of leather shoes costing about SGD1,000?

I need your help :) Deeply appreciate!
For residents there is a GST free limit for new goods - I think it's around $900? Google is your friend. You'll get away a few times but if ICA believe you're engaging in commercial levels of importation (frequently on or above the limit) you'll be stopped.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Tax on goods i bought from my home country

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 31 Jul 2017 6:24 pm

The magic number is $400 and if you exceed that limit you will pay GST on the whole lot. Having said that, if nothing is in it's original containers or still have tags on them, It might be pretty hard to prove, however, if you buy a set of pots & pans, or anything that wouldn't normally be carried in your travel bags to try telling them that you normally carry those things with you when you go traveling. :lol:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers