Singapore Expats Forum

Citizenship in 2017: Assess My Chances

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
RichmondOiler
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon, 24 Jul 2017

Citizenship in 2017: Assess My Chances

Postby RichmondOiler » Mon, 24 Jul 2017 5:35 pm

Dear good, helpful, honest and candid people of SingaporeExpats forum, could you help assess my chances for Citizenship?

Arrived Singapore: 2006 (11 years here)
2006-2010 - Studied Engineering in NTU. Graduated 2010 (Honors 2nd Upper)

2010 - Joined MNC Oil & Gas as graduate trainee. Salary 48k/yr (EP)

2014 - Got approved for SPR (first attempt success, 9 months after submission. By then I'd been in Singapore for 8 years). First REP valid until Q3 2019

2016 - Got married. Foreigner spouse. Moved in on LTVP. Converted to Student Pass as she did her Masters with SMU. Converted back to LTVP in 2017 when Masters completed.

2017 - Applied Singapore Citizenship.

At the time of application in 2017-
Salary - 130k
Stay in Singapore - almost 11 years continuous. Studied here, got hired here, stayed in same company all this while, got promoted twice and never spent >20 days overseas at a stretch.
Length of marriage - 1 year 3 months and counting
Ethnicity - Indian
Age - 27 years (28 later this year)

I await with bated breath on my citizenship outcome, but meanwhile would be great to get some candid feedback from you folks so I can manage my expectations.

singaporeflyer
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1276
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009

Re: Citizenship in 2017: Assess My Chances

Postby singaporeflyer » Mon, 24 Jul 2017 5:37 pm

RichmondOiler wrote:Dear good, helpful, honest and candid people of SingaporeExpats forum, could you help assess my chances for Citizenship?

Arrived Singapore: 2006 (11 years here)
2006-2010 - Studied Engineering in NTU. Graduated 2010 (Honors 2nd Upper)

2010 - Joined MNC Oil & Gas as graduate trainee. Salary 48k/yr (EP)

2014 - Got approved for SPR (first attempt success, 9 months after submission. By then I'd been in Singapore for 8 years). First REP valid until Q3 2019

2016 - Got married. Foreigner spouse. Moved in on LTVP. Converted to Student Pass as she did her Masters with SMU. Converted back to LTVP in 2017 when Masters completed.

2017 - Applied Singapore Citizenship.

At the time of application in 2017-
Salary - 130k
Stay in Singapore - almost 11 years continuous. Studied here, got hired here, stayed in same company all this while, got promoted twice and never spent >20 days overseas at a stretch.
Length of marriage - 1 year 3 months and counting
Ethnicity - Indian
Age - 27 years (28 later this year)

I await with bated breath on my citizenship outcome, but meanwhile would be great to get some candid feedback from you folks so I can manage my expectations.


Did you apply alone?

Anyway, too early for you to Apply.. Your chances would be less than 10%

RichmondOiler
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon, 24 Jul 2017

Re: Citizenship in 2017: Assess My Chances

Postby RichmondOiler » Mon, 24 Jul 2017 5:44 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:
Did you apply alone?

Anyway, too early for you to Apply.. Your chances would be less than 10%


Haiz...that's a bit disheartening but thanks. Applied alone as spouse is not eligible. (LTVP holder only). She came with me to the ICA counter when I submitted though, not that it'd matter?

singaporeflyer
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1276
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009

Re: Citizenship in 2017: Assess My Chances

Postby singaporeflyer » Mon, 24 Jul 2017 5:47 pm

RichmondOiler wrote:
singaporeflyer wrote:
Did you apply alone?

Anyway, too early for you to Apply.. Your chances would be less than 10%


Haiz...that's a bit disheartening but thanks. Applied alone as spouse is not eligible. (LTVP holder only). She came with me to the ICA counter when I submitted though, not that it'd matter?


Surely, it won't matter...

RichmondOiler
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon, 24 Jul 2017

Re: Citizenship in 2017: Assess My Chances

Postby RichmondOiler » Mon, 24 Jul 2017 5:54 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:
RichmondOiler wrote:
singaporeflyer wrote:
Did you apply alone?

Anyway, too early for you to Apply.. Your chances would be less than 10%


Haiz...that's a bit disheartening but thanks. Applied alone as spouse is not eligible. (LTVP holder only). She came with me to the ICA counter when I submitted though, not that it'd matter?


Surely, it won't matter...


Is there anything I can do to improve my chances while the application is under review? Like talk to my MP? For me Singapore Citizenship is not about a stepping stone but about cementing my long term relationship with the country. I do want to spend the rest of my life here...!

singaporeflyer
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1276
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009

Re: Citizenship in 2017: Assess My Chances

Postby singaporeflyer » Mon, 24 Jul 2017 6:02 pm

RichmondOiler wrote:
singaporeflyer wrote:
RichmondOiler wrote:
Haiz...that's a bit disheartening but thanks. Applied alone as spouse is not eligible. (LTVP holder only). She came with me to the ICA counter when I submitted though, not that it'd matter?


Surely, it won't matter...


Is there anything I can do to improve my chances while the application is under review? Like talk to my MP? For me Singapore Citizenship is not about a stepping stone but about cementing my long term relationship with the country. I do want to spend the rest of my life here...!


You are just a SPR and on what grounds will the MP help you?

If you are really sure on spending the rest of your life here, wait for 3-4 more years and apply. Rushing or being desperate will surely not help.

Between, when did you submit all the documents for the application?

RichmondOiler
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon, 24 Jul 2017

Re: Citizenship in 2017: Assess My Chances

Postby RichmondOiler » Mon, 24 Jul 2017 6:06 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:
RichmondOiler wrote:
singaporeflyer wrote:
Surely, it won't matter...


Is there anything I can do to improve my chances while the application is under review? Like talk to my MP? For me Singapore Citizenship is not about a stepping stone but about cementing my long term relationship with the country. I do want to spend the rest of my life here...!


You are just a SPR and on what grounds will the MP help you?

If you are really sure on spending the rest of your life here, wait for 3-4 more years and apply. Rushing or being desperate will surely not help.

Between, when did you submit all the documents for the application?


I submitted all the docs in Apr this year. Rushing or desperation is not my intent, I applied once I was eligible 'in theory' i.e. 2 years as SPR


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

singaporeflyer
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1276
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009

Re: Citizenship in 2017: Assess My Chances

Postby singaporeflyer » Mon, 24 Jul 2017 6:20 pm

RichmondOiler wrote:
singaporeflyer wrote:
RichmondOiler wrote:
Is there anything I can do to improve my chances while the application is under review? Like talk to my MP? For me Singapore Citizenship is not about a stepping stone but about cementing my long term relationship with the country. I do want to spend the rest of my life here...!


You are just a SPR and on what grounds will the MP help you?

If you are really sure on spending the rest of your life here, wait for 3-4 more years and apply. Rushing or being desperate will surely not help.

Between, when did you submit all the documents for the application?


I submitted all the docs in Apr this year. Rushing or desperation is not my intent, I applied once I was eligible 'in theory' i.e. 2 years as SPR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


2 Years after PR to apply for citizenship for Indians, will still remain a theory only.

RichmondOiler
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon, 24 Jul 2017

Re: Citizenship in 2017: Assess My Chances

Postby RichmondOiler » Mon, 24 Jul 2017 6:20 pm

Thanks for taking the time to read and answer though :)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bcheng74
Regular
Regular
Posts: 69
Joined: Sun, 10 Apr 2016

Re: Citizenship in 2017: Assess My Chances

Postby bcheng74 » Mon, 24 Jul 2017 8:10 pm

Do you have any property here? And if not, do you plan to buy one?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RichmondOiler
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon, 24 Jul 2017

Re: Citizenship in 2017: Assess My Chances

Postby RichmondOiler » Mon, 24 Jul 2017 9:19 pm

bcheng74 wrote:Do you have any property here? And if not, do you plan to buy one?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't. Renting for past 7 yrs. can't afford a condo yet. I do plan to buy as soon as I can afford. Hopefully after my wife starts working


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CashewNut
Member
Member
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat, 08 Jul 2017

Re: Citizenship in 2017: Assess My Chances

Postby CashewNut » Mon, 24 Jul 2017 10:06 pm

I think you have good chances. Engineering is good for Singapore. You're still young. You'll mix well with local culture. Try getting really involved in local community. Not some token thing but try something more substantial and long term for the next few years. That will get you more noticed than talking to any MP.

bro75
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 313
Joined: Sun, 02 Sep 2012
Location: Singapore

Re: Citizenship in 2017: Assess My Chances

Postby bro75 » Tue, 25 Jul 2017 6:25 am

I think your chances are reasonably good. They gave you PR in 2014, when PRs are very hard to get.

User avatar
taxico
Director
Director
Posts: 3186
Joined: Sat, 10 May 2008
Location: Existential dilemma!

Re: Citizenship in 2017: Assess My Chances

Postby taxico » Tue, 25 Jul 2017 11:44 pm

RichmondOiler wrote:...For me Singapore Citizenship is not about a stepping stone but about cementing my long term relationship with the country. I do want to spend the rest of my life here...!


:-"
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests