Singapore Expats

PR Application - 5 time Rejection

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Prag80

PR Application - 5 time Rejection

Post by Prag80 » Mon, 17 Jul 2017 11:11 pm

Hi All,

Need your expert advice regarding my PR application

Kindly have a look at my profile and suggest what could be the reason for my PR application.

Have been working in Singapore in Non-IT Engineering Projects since Jan 2006 on EP (deputation from Jan 2006 to Jul 2010 - EP Q1 . Was deputed to Rome for Project (Jul 2010 - Mar 2011) during which my EP was cancelled. Returned back to Singapore in Apr 2011 and then switched to subsidiary of MNC company as permanent employee since Jul 2011. Currently on EP (P2 type).

Got married in Nov 2008 and my spouse joined me in Nov 2008 and started working on contract since Dec 2008 (continued working in Singapore while I was in Rome). Worked for IT MNC on further deputation to Singapore MNC Bank all the while since Dec2008.

First time applied for PR in Jul 2010 with my spouse as main applicant when I was in Rome and my EP was cancelled.

Second time applied for PR along with my spouse in Dec 2011, myself as main applicant. Applied 3rd time in May 2013 including for my daughter born in April 2013.

4th Time - Oct 2014

5th Time - Nov 2015

6th Time - Jan 2017 - This time attached Testimonials - One from Local neighbour as he known he for all these 11 years in Singapore, one from family friend & Colleague and one from manager.

Every time the rejection comes in 4-5 months with nothing mentioned other than the usual statement that we can continue to reside in Singapore on passes.

My profile is as follows:
- Indian (Process Automation Engineer) 37 year old.
- Spouse - Indian (Semi-IT) 36 year old.
- Both of us Engineering graduate earning >6K individually.

Kindly advise chances of getting PR?
Is it of any help to the call the contact number provided in the PR outcome letter?
Should I appeal and does it make any difference?
Advise path forward?

Thank you for your time.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Re: PR Application - 5 time Rejection

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 17 Jul 2017 11:32 pm

I judge your chances of PR are very small and you should rethink your long term plans for Singapore.

a) You have been rejected 5 times over 10 years... is there a message there?

b) You are Indian... not the 'flavor of the month' in Singapore.

c) You have a spotty work history. If you gave up your EP, it means that you were no longer working for a Singapore company. This is bad news for you, as it suggests you simply moved to another country and another company. Your Singapore company should have seconded you to another country and continued to pay you out of Singapore.

d) Even though you are working for a company, you are being body shopped to other companies and the gahmen doesn't seem to like that very much right now.

e) For 10 plus years of experience you only make a bit more than $6K... that suggests you either work cheap or you're not management material.

f) Testimonials won't make any difference.

You asked, I tell... my view is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Prag80

Post by Prag80 » Tue, 18 Jul 2017 11:15 pm

Hi Strong Eagle,

Thanks for your reply. Though it seems to be the case but just bit hard for me to accept it.

Anyways would you have any suggestion before my one last attempt?

Thanks

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Post by singaporeflyer » Wed, 19 Jul 2017 10:54 am

Prag80 wrote:Hi Strong Eagle,

Thanks for your reply. Though it seems to be the case but just bit hard for me to accept it.

Thanks
Your chances are very low. You don't have a continuous working history in Singapore. All this will be viewed negatively.

If you see SE his suggestion and mine, it would be to make alternative plans

SF

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 19 Jul 2017 11:57 am

Prag80 wrote:Hi Strong Eagle,

Thanks
a) Make more than S$10,000 per month... rule of thumb for PMET's... desirable PMET's... $1000 per year of experience.
b) Start working for a company that uses you internally and doesn't bodyshop you out.
c) Have a couple of male children for NS cannon fodder.

Mate, I hate to harp on it, and I judge that one of the biggest issues you have is working for a bodyshop. The day they cannot rent you out is the day you become expendable. Then what? Bye bye EP. Bye bye Singapore. You get PR, you are still unemployed. I judge long term stability in a mid level position working for a Singapore company, factors strongly into the decision process. But, that's just my SWAG.

But, please clarify... maybe I am wrong... the company you have been with recently... what is it that you do?

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Wed, 19 Jul 2017 5:02 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
e) For 10 plus years of experience you only make a bit more than $6K... that suggests you either work cheap or you're not management material.
If everyone is a manager , who is gonna do the work?

I am pretty sure there are far more "workers" than "managers" given PR in Singapore.

Whats the benefit to Singapore?

The job isn't going anywhere, so why give PR just because someone is in management.
Life is short, paddle harder!!

Prag80

Post by Prag80 » Wed, 19 Jul 2017 11:25 pm

Thanks all for your response and suggestion

Out of total 11.5 years since working in Singapore, I didn't had EP for 9 months (Jul 2010 - Mar 2011). During this period I had to go to Europe for first phase (basic engineering) of the Project and then returned to Singapore for the subsequent phases of the project here. Since Company had to pay for two work visas, they cancelled my EP in Singapore and my mistake that I also didn't bother much about it that time.

I joined another company in Jul 2011 as permanent employee and has been there since then. Singapore is the regional office for this MNC. The company has manufacturing as well as engineering in Singapore. From Singapore office we execute Global engineering projects mostly for Oil & Gas (LNG Plants, Refineries, Petrochemical etc). Currently at mid-managerial level and my current project (since Aug 2015) is for subsidiary of Singapore Energy Monitoring Authority. My role is one of the system lead engineer for our supply scope. Not sure if I'm allowed to share more info than this on the forum but trust you got an idea of my work background.

I used to travel overseas a lot for my work in my initial years in Singapore (till 2010) as my previous company was also hub for global project execution but since Jul 2011 I have cut down my overseas travel and now don't travel more than 2 weeks in a stretch and that too 1 or 2 times max in a year.

My annual salary around 100K - 105K for last 3-4 years. Minimum annual salary of 120K at my level is very high in our industry (unlike the IT & finance).

Thanks again all for your valuable feedback and time.

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 20 Jul 2017 7:17 am

Prag80, after reading your employment history, I would have to say you are snake bit, that is, I judge you have a decent job history, you are a professional on contract in a specialty area (as opposed to IT body shoppers), and your salary is OK. It is very had to understand why you haven't been considered, given your history when others with much more dodgy credentials have gotten PR.

I am reminded of an old joke. Farmer Sweeney woke up one morning and looked over his crops, all ready to be harvested and gave thanks. A few minutes later a terrific hailstorm came up and destroyed all his crops. "Oh Lord," wailed Sweeney, "why me?"

After a while, Sweeney calms down and says, "Well, at least I still have my barn and equipment. I can always start again next year." A few minutes later, an earthquake rumbles through his farm, the ground opens up and swallows up his barn, house, and equipment.

"Oh Lord," wails Sweeney, "why me? First my crops, now my barn and house! Why me, Lord?"

After a while he calms down and says, "Well, at least I still have my wife. We can always start over." The wife comes home, takes one look at the complete mess, and says, "Sweeney, I'm leaving you!" and with that walks out the door.

"Oh Lord," wails Sweeney, "why me? First my crops, then my barn and house, and now my wife! Why me, Lord?"

About that time the sky turns gray, the clouds open up and the Lord appears. He says, "Sweeney, I don't know what it is about you, but you just chap my ass!"

And so it seems to be with you when it comes to ICA. Go for 6. One thing for sure... you'll never have a chance if you don't apply.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 20 Jul 2017 9:50 am

Strong Eagle wrote:
And so it seems to be with you when it comes to ICA. Go for 6. One thing for sure... you'll never have a chance if you don't apply.
+1

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Thu, 20 Jul 2017 10:28 am

@Prag80 ,
Wanted to tell you my experience. I was out of SG for just 4 months and was working outside SG during that time. When I met the officer here (the officer who handled my case), I was clearly told that as long as I stay out of SG and work outside, my residency period would not be treated as continuous stay in SG

Prag80

Post by Prag80 » Sat, 22 Jul 2017 11:22 pm

Thanks SE,Ecureilx for the encouragement. I'm also not able to understand why it's getting rejected, moreso becoz my application gets rejected in 4 months which means it doesn't pass the first stage itself.
How can we get an opportunity to meet ICA officer or plead for our case. Does anyone respond on the contact number given in PR outcome letter, if we request for an appointment to discuss our case? Will apply again for PR next year, so want to fill up in any gaps in my application.

Dear Singaporeflyer,
singaporeflyer wrote:When I met the officer here (the officer who handled my case
How can we met ICA officer? Please advise.

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Sun, 23 Jul 2017 11:48 am

Prag80 wrote:Thanks SE,Ecureilx for the encouragement. I'm also not able to understand why it's getting rejected, moreso becoz my application gets rejected in 4 months which means it doesn't pass the first stage itself.
How can we get an opportunity to meet ICA officer or plead for our case. Does anyone respond on the contact number given in PR outcome letter, if we request for an appointment to discuss our case? Will apply again for PR next year, so want to fill up in any gaps in my application.

Dear Singaporeflyer,
singaporeflyer wrote:When I met the officer here (the officer who handled my case
How can we met ICA officer? Please advise.
Only if they want to meet you, they will call you for an interview.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 23 Jul 2017 2:25 pm

Prag80 wrote: How can we met ICA officer? Please advise.
You can get to meet an officer only under limited circumstances, example, Spouse of SC.

Other than the times they decide to meet you like SF said.