Singapore Expats Forum

PR Application - Changing the main applicant

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
MrDonut
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon, 05 Jun 2017

PR Application - Changing the main applicant

Postby MrDonut » Thu, 13 Jul 2017 6:29 pm

Hello everyone,

Interested to know your opinion on this:

My wife and I applied for PR six months ago with me being the main applicant.

I just received a letter from ICA asking if we would be willing to make my wife the main applicant instead. The letter also came with a note that should a male applicant be granted a PR status under the wife being the main applicant, the husband may be liable to register for NS.

So, my question is, would it be correct to assume that ICA would likely reject the application unless we change the main applicant?

OR, is it crazy to assume that ICA would be willing to grant us the PR status provided I would be willing to do NS? I am 32 years old by the way.

Thanks for time.

Cheers!

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9812
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: PR Application - Changing the main applicant

Postby ecureilx » Thu, 13 Jul 2017 6:50 pm

MrDonut wrote:Hello everyone,

Interested to know your opinion on this:

My wife and I applied for PR six months ago with me being the main applicant.

I just received a letter from ICA asking if we would be willing to make my wife the main applicant instead. The letter also came with a note that should a male applicant be granted a PR status under the wife being the main applicant, the husband may be liable to register for NS.

So, my question is, would it be correct to assume that ICA would likely reject the application unless we change the main applicant?

OR, is it crazy to assume that ICA would be willing to grant us the PR status provided I would be willing to do NS? I am 32 years old by the way.

Thanks for time.

Cheers!

Were you born in Singapore or your parents had Singapore heritage?

That NS liability is just a caveat. Nobody I know ever had to serve it though you maybe the guinea pig

Sent from my A1601 using Tapatalk

MrDonut
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon, 05 Jun 2017

Re: PR Application - Changing the main applicant

Postby MrDonut » Thu, 13 Jul 2017 6:53 pm

ecureilx wrote:
MrDonut wrote:Hello everyone,

Interested to know your opinion on this:

My wife and I applied for PR six months ago with me being the main applicant.

I just received a letter from ICA asking if we would be willing to make my wife the main applicant instead. The letter also came with a note that should a male applicant be granted a PR status under the wife being the main applicant, the husband may be liable to register for NS.

So, my question is, would it be correct to assume that ICA would likely reject the application unless we change the main applicant?

OR, is it crazy to assume that ICA would be willing to grant us the PR status provided I would be willing to do NS? I am 32 years old by the way.

Thanks for time.

Cheers!

Were you born in Singapore or your parents had Singapore heritage?

That NS liability is just a caveat. Nobody I know ever had to serve it though you maybe the guinea pig

Sent from my A1601 using Tapatalk


Hello. I'm a foreigner. So is my wife.

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9812
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: PR Application - Changing the main applicant

Postby ecureilx » Thu, 13 Jul 2017 6:55 pm

MrDonut wrote:Hello. I'm a foreigner. So is my wife.


Go take the plunge. You maybe batch no 1 for compulsory NS for PRs ;)

User avatar
singaporeflyer
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1568
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009

Re: PR Application - Changing the main applicant

Postby singaporeflyer » Thu, 13 Jul 2017 8:47 pm

MrDonut wrote:Hello everyone,

Interested to know your opinion on this:

My wife and I applied for PR six months ago with me being the main applicant.

I just received a letter from ICA asking if we would be willing to make my wife the main applicant instead. The letter also came with a note that should a male applicant be granted a PR status under the wife being the main applicant, the husband may be liable to register for NS.

So, my question is, would it be correct to assume that ICA would likely reject the application unless we change the main applicant?

OR, is it crazy to assume that ICA would be willing to grant us the PR status provided I would be willing to do NS? I am 32 years old by the way.

Thanks for time.

Cheers!


You should be OK if you switch the main applicant. Can you tell us little about both of your profiles?

User avatar
Barnsley
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2295
Joined: Tue, 10 Jun 2008
Location: Pasir Ris
Contact:

Re: PR Application - Changing the main applicant

Postby Barnsley » Fri, 14 Jul 2017 10:06 am

MrDonut wrote:Hello everyone,

Interested to know your opinion on this:

My wife and I applied for PR six months ago with me being the main applicant.

I just received a letter from ICA asking if we would be willing to make my wife the main applicant instead. The letter also came with a note that should a male applicant be granted a PR status under the wife being the main applicant, the husband may be liable to register for NS.

So, my question is, would it be correct to assume that ICA would likely reject the application unless we change the main applicant?

OR, is it crazy to assume that ICA would be willing to grant us the PR status provided I would be willing to do NS? I am 32 years old by the way.

Thanks for time.

Cheers!


Maybe they are testing your commitment?

They seeing if you willing to give back to the country that you are looking to become a Permanent Resident of!
Life is short, paddle harder!!

MrDonut
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon, 05 Jun 2017

Re: PR Application - Changing the main applicant

Postby MrDonut » Fri, 14 Jul 2017 10:18 am

singaporeflyer wrote:
You should be OK if you switch the main applicant. Can you tell us little about both of your profiles?

A little information about ourselves:

1. Both of us come from the Philippines.

2. I am a JC Teacher (3 years) and wife is an AVP (7 years) in some international bank.

3. Both of us have university degrees from a top Philippine University. I have a doctorate from a German University.

4. Combined family income is enough to live comfortably albeit not luxuriously.

Thanks again!
Last edited by MrDonut on Fri, 14 Jul 2017 10:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

MrDonut
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon, 05 Jun 2017

Re: PR Application - Changing the main applicant

Postby MrDonut » Fri, 14 Jul 2017 10:22 am

Barnsley wrote:Maybe they are testing your commitment?

They seeing if you willing to give back to the country that you are looking to become a Permanent Resident of!
Perhaps.

... but I am old and unfit. I teach JC here in Singapore and I think I am a better teacher than an NS man for this country.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35219
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Re: PR Application - Changing the main applicant

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 14 Jul 2017 10:51 am

MrDonut wrote:... but I am old and unfit. I teach JC here in Singapore and I think I am a better teacher than an NS man for this country.


If you are 32 and old and unfit, maybe you SHOULD do NS. Else you might not live to be my age - which is double your age plus a few. I volunteered for NS when I got my PR but they didn't want me as they said I was too old. (46) :cool:

MrDonut
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon, 05 Jun 2017

Re: PR Application - Changing the main applicant

Postby MrDonut » Fri, 14 Jul 2017 10:57 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
MrDonut wrote:... but I am old and unfit. I teach JC here in Singapore and I think I am a better teacher than an NS man for this country.


If you are 32 and old and unfit, maybe you SHOULD do NS. Else you might not live to be my age - which is double your age plus a few. I volunteered for NS when I got my PR but they didn't want me as they said I was too old. (46) :cool:


Ok, maybe "Unfit" is an overstatement. LOL.

For the record, I don't mind doing NS. I am just weighing the facts here. As I said, I don't think I will be an effective NS man, but I would like to believe that I am more effective being a teacher instead.

It's funny that it's not the first time I got that exact reaction of yours! Cheers!

User avatar
Singaporeuser2007
Member
Member
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun, 18 Jun 2017

Re: PR Application - Changing the main applicant

Postby Singaporeuser2007 » Fri, 14 Jul 2017 11:23 am

MrDonut wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:
MrDonut wrote:... but I am old and unfit. I teach JC here in Singapore and I think I am a better teacher than an NS man for this country.


If you are 32 and old and unfit, maybe you SHOULD do NS. Else you might not live to be my age - which is double your age plus a few. I volunteered for NS when I got my PR but they didn't want me as they said I was too old. (46) :cool:


Ok, maybe "Unfit" is an overstatement. LOL.

For the record, I don't mind doing NS. I am just weighing the facts here. As I said, I don't think I will be an effective NS man, but I would like to believe that I am more effective being a teacher instead.

It's funny that it's not the first time I got that exact reaction of yours! Cheers!

Well..
Why not just accept the suggestion ?
Put your wife as main applicant and you'll tap along with her profile.
I think ICA Singapore rarely send letter to applicant . When they do so, the chances is there.


Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

User avatar
Singaporeuser2007
Member
Member
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun, 18 Jun 2017

Re: PR Application - Changing the main applicant

Postby Singaporeuser2007 » Fri, 14 Jul 2017 11:26 am

Singaporeuser2007 wrote:
MrDonut wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:
If you are 32 and old and unfit, maybe you SHOULD do NS. Else you might not live to be my age - which is double your age plus a few. I volunteered for NS when I got my PR but they didn't want me as they said I was too old. (46) :cool:


Ok, maybe "Unfit" is an overstatement. LOL.

For the record, I don't mind doing NS. I am just weighing the facts here. As I said, I don't think I will be an effective NS man, but I would like to believe that I am more effective being a teacher instead.

It's funny that it's not the first time I got that exact reaction of yours! Cheers!

Well..
Why not just accept the suggestion ?
Put your wife as main applicant and you'll tap along with her profile.
I think ICA Singapore rarely send letter to applicant . When they do so, the chances is there.


Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

I mean at least they send an "alternative offers"


Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9812
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: PR Application - Changing the main applicant

Postby ecureilx » Fri, 14 Jul 2017 12:43 pm

MrDonut wrote:Ok, maybe "Unfit" is an overstatement. LOL.

For the record, I don't mind doing NS. I am just weighing the facts here. As I said, I don't think I will be an effective NS man, but I would like to believe that I am more effective being a teacher instead.

It's funny that it's not the first time I got that exact reaction of yours! Cheers!


For your information, and just for argument sake, NS is not all about Army, Drills, Boot Camp, Tekong, Brunei, Taiwan and Thailand.

There are other physically less demanding vocations.

I do know a guy who was forced to sign up for NS at 35 and did his time - it was either that or give up his PR.

MrDonut
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon, 05 Jun 2017

Re: PR Application - Changing the main applicant

Postby MrDonut » Fri, 14 Jul 2017 1:34 pm

ecureilx wrote: For your information, and just for argument sake, NS is not all about Army, Drills, Boot Camp, Tekong, Brunei, Taiwan and Thailand.

There are other physically less demanding vocations.

I do know a guy who was forced to sign up for NS at 35 and did his time - it was either that or give up his PR.

Thanks for the input.

On another but related note (I don't know if I should ask this here, but let me just try): Suppose I do NS, how much will I get paid? And generally, how are professionals get paid when they do their NS way late in their careers? Having 12 years of academic experience and high educational attainment, it would be quite tricky on which salary level I would be put in. Don't you think so?

User avatar
taxico
Director
Director
Posts: 3190
Joined: Sat, 10 May 2008
Location: Existential dilemma!

Re: PR Application - Changing the main applicant

Postby taxico » Fri, 14 Jul 2017 2:51 pm

MrDonut wrote:On another but related note (I don't know if I should ask this here, but let me just try): Suppose I do NS, how much will I get paid? And generally, how are professionals get paid when they do their NS way late in their careers? Having 12 years of academic experience and high educational attainment, it would be quite tricky on which salary level I would be put in. Don't you think so?


you may think so, but they don't think so.

monthly (NSF):

normal person: $500 - $1,000
+ combat allowance: $100 - $300 (if applicable)

doctors/dentists: $1,000 - $1,500 (non-combat) or $1,000 - $2,000 (combat)

other professions (licensed or unlicensed, with or without post-doc): see "normal person" above.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests