Singapore Expats Forum

I am 75 can I get a long term sposal visa?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Kleef
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu, 13 Jul 2017

I am 75 can I get a long term sposal visa?

Postby Kleef » Thu, 13 Jul 2017 9:12 am

I will be as brief as possible and if anyone wants to contact directly we can work out how to get you my email/phone.

I am looking for a lawyer to assist me in obtaining a long stay visa based on my marriage to a Singaporean. We got married in Thailand 8 years ago.

My age - 75
Mt wife - 55
I am a UK citizen.
I arrived on April 1st this year and recieved the standard 90 day visa.
I left for 10 days and returned yesterday.
Immigration told me that I would have to get a long stay visa to do so again.
I applied for a long stay visa after arrival in April, but it was 'not authorized' - no reason given.
My Brother-in-Law is prepared to act as Guarantor - I do not know what that entails, or if it is even possible.
There is another possible option that I would rather discuss privately )Not illegal!)
I have been told to avoid using a lawyer?

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34457
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Re: I am 75 can I get a long term sposal visa?

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 13 Jul 2017 9:50 am

Yeah, using a lawyer is not looked upon favorably by either ICA or MOM.

I'm not aware of any restrictions regarding age, but your wife's status may be the crux of the problem. I believe she must be the sponsor as you would be coming in on a Family Ties situation. You have no family ties to a Brother-in-Law.

You wife must be able to show the ability to provide the necessary financial support (although I reckon it's not really a factor but sadly, most civil servants are not very flexible due to the nature of the job - I'm pretty sure you can fund yourself).

I am surprised that you were not given a LTVP, though. How long has your wife been a Non-resident SC? more than 8 years? Does she have a sizable CPF account or own property here? All these might be relevant.

Having said this about lawyers, if you have been rejected more than a couple of times, I think I might try it anyway (although it may well be throwing a 'lot' of good money away as you will probably have hard time finding a lawyer who will entertain it at a reasonable price as they know how hard it is as ICA doesn't have to reveal anything to lawyers if they don't want to. Just like Immigration officials in the UK and in the US - they are mini-gods who don't usually answer to any other ministry or organization.

Maybe somebody else on here has had some closer brush with ICA with this. (I'll be 70 in a couple weeks but I've been a PR for 25 years already and I'm still working full time but I'm a Family Ties PR as well).

Kleef
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu, 13 Jul 2017

Re: I am 75 can I get a long term sposal visa?

Postby Kleef » Thu, 13 Jul 2017 11:00 am

I have another question: If I am unable to get the required visa, it means I have to leave in 90 days. I know that you cannot do a 'border run' as they do in Thailand. So how long would be the suggestion as to how long to be absent before re-entry? Would one month be long enough ( I know that 10 days isn't!) and would I have to travel out of the area - Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia - for example, or further afield like the UK which would be really costly? . . . . If I could get a job such in Management, would I get a work pass - I did work here for eight years until 2008.

Kleef
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu, 13 Jul 2017

Re: I am 75 can I get a long term sposal visa?

Postby Kleef » Thu, 13 Jul 2017 11:04 am

Sorry I forgot to add that my wife is Singaporean, but did not work here for the time we ere in Thailand, thus no CPF during that time. She is working now part-time and looking for a full time job. She has her own apartment and worked here 30 years before we went to Thailand.

Kleef
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu, 13 Jul 2017

Re: I am 75 can I get a long term sposal visa?

Postby Kleef » Fri, 14 Jul 2017 10:34 am

Hi again - I seem to be responding to my own posts :) But here is an update. I will conitnue to try and get a long term visa, not sure how but am trying. In the meantime I have been offered a room in a friends house in Australia to stay whilst I stay out of Singapore for long enough to be given another 90 day visa on my return. My question;- does anybody know how long I would have to stay out in order to qualify for this? I am hoping 4-6 weeks would be enough as I don't want to impose on my friends generosity.

Thanks in advance for any help

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34457
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Re: I am 75 can I get a long term sposal visa?

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 14 Jul 2017 11:07 am

I used to work a 2 & 1 rotation in the oil exploration industry (offshore) back in the '80's & '90s. Two months offshore and one month in Singapore back before there were even 90 day visas (30 max in those days). We could do VISA runs with impunity back then but around the time that the millennium came about they started clamping down on VISA runs. This didn't Impact the O & G guys too much as most were on month on/off rotations.

So leaving for 4 to 6 weeks at a time might see you clear. But it's a gamble you will have to take as there is nothing written on the subject and ICA keeps their cards close to the chest. I know there is an issue around passing the 183 day residency test even for SVP holders but unknown if that is on a continuous basis or on a cumulative basis. It would be cool if you could find a job (I'm locked in till I'm 75 with my current employer unless I decide to retire earlier - So there are some jobs out there but the money sucks if you are on local term once you pass retirement age.

If you wife own an apartment here and has her CPF intact I would think that ICA would take a different view, but again, if the aim is to eventually secure PR this might be what they are looking at. The fact that you will probably need medical assistance for age related problems without contributing anything to society/country may well be a consideration.(e.g., PRs get subsidies like locals, albeit at a reduced rate but still considerable lower than private hospitals) As it is, it's pretty crowded here and adding more who don't bring anything to the table is not the Singapore style. I don't like being negative, but I've been here for 35 years so have gotten pretty familiar with their mindset.

User avatar
Barnsley
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2125
Joined: Tue, 10 Jun 2008
Location: Pasir Ris
Contact:

Re: I am 75 can I get a long term sposal visa?

Postby Barnsley » Fri, 14 Jul 2017 11:08 am

Kleef wrote:Hi again - I seem to be responding to my own posts :) But here is an update. I will conitnue to try and get a long term visa, not sure how but am trying. In the meantime I have been offered a room in a friends house in Australia to stay whilst I stay out of Singapore for long enough to be given another 90 day visa on my return. My question;- does anybody know how long I would have to stay out in order to qualify for this? I am hoping 4-6 weeks would be enough as I don't want to impose on my friends generosity.

Thanks in advance for any help


Try and avoid staying in Singapore for greater than 183 days in a year.

If they already told you that you need a specific Pass next time , they may send you back from whence you came irrespective of how long you been outside of Singapore.
Life is short, paddle harder!!

Kleef
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu, 13 Jul 2017

Re: I am 75 can I get a long term sposal visa?

Postby Kleef » Fri, 14 Jul 2017 11:16 am

I am on my second stint of 90 days since April 1st. So the 183 days will be a problem. If I could get a job of some kind, I would not worry too much about the money, the work pass would be reward enough. I did work here for 8 years until 2008. But the chances of a job are slim to none. It is a lot of pressure not knowing if they will allow me back - I would not be able to stay in Oz as that would be taking advantage of my friends hospitality.

bgd
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1231
Joined: Wed, 25 Jul 2007

Re: I am 75 can I get a long term sposal visa?

Postby bgd » Fri, 14 Jul 2017 11:54 am

Not ideal but you have Batam and Malaysia nearby, closer than Oz. You might be able to mix your locations up a bit to get around the Sg limits.

Kleef
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu, 13 Jul 2017

Re: I am 75 can I get a long term sposal visa?

Postby Kleef » Fri, 14 Jul 2017 12:04 pm

Thanks, when I was here in the early 2000's I used to do the visa run, you cannot anymore, I think that using Batam, KL or Indonesia would smack too much of a visa run of that period. Going to Oz for 2 months would be better and might get me in. But the besy way would be a job, doesn't matter what, and the pay would be minimal at best. But I would have a work pass and no worries on visas. But where does one get that animal? I am petrified of coming back here form Oz and being told "You can't come in". Might as well attack an officer and get shot! Am really at my wits end. I haven't mentioned this next bit anywhere in this post, and will not elaborate more. But almost all my problems stem form losing everything to Bernie Madoff - Savings - investments and Pensions! As I said - no more details, just thinking of it makes me suicidal again,

lee85
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue, 07 Mar 2017

Re: I am 75 can I get a long term sposal visa?

Postby lee85 » Fri, 14 Jul 2017 2:12 pm

Having a work pass is certainly desirable in your case. And I agree with the previous post that said no matter what in 1 year your stay CANNOT be more than 183 days. Maybe you could have a plan B, like relocate with your wife to UK instead of Singapore. I know that european countries are usually more lenient and not so mercenary like Singapore plus they have a lot more welfares than here in Singapore. So yeah maybe you can start to think of having an option B.

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9782
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: I am 75 can I get a long term sposal visa?

Postby ecureilx » Fri, 14 Jul 2017 8:27 pm

lee85 wrote:Having a work pass is certainly desirable in your case. And I agree with the previous post that said no matter what in 1 year your stay CANNOT be more than 183 days. Maybe you could have a plan B, like relocate with your wife to UK instead of Singapore. I know that european countries are usually more lenient and not so mercenary like Singapore plus they have a lot more welfares than here in Singapore. So yeah maybe you can start to think of having an option B.

A work pass at 75 ? Got ?

On the other hand Singapore should consider his LTVP as his spouse ls SGn

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34457
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Re: I am 75 can I get a long term sposal visa?

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 14 Jul 2017 11:48 pm

ecureilx wrote:On the other hand Singapore should consider his LTVP as his spouse ls SGn


"I applied for a long stay visa after arrival in April, but it was 'not authorized' - no reason given."

lee85
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue, 07 Mar 2017

Re: I am 75 can I get a long term sposal visa?

Postby lee85 » Sat, 15 Jul 2017 11:08 am

ecureilx wrote:
lee85 wrote:Having a work pass is certainly desirable in your case. And I agree with the previous post that said no matter what in 1 year your stay CANNOT be more than 183 days. Maybe you could have a plan B, like relocate with your wife to UK instead of Singapore. I know that european countries are usually more lenient and not so mercenary like Singapore plus they have a lot more welfares than here in Singapore. So yeah maybe you can start to think of having an option B.

A work pass at 75 ? Got ?

On the other hand Singapore should consider his LTVP as his spouse ls SGn


I understand that in ideal scenario Singapore should consider his LTVP as his spouse is Singaporean. However, as I mentioned previously, Singapore from the very beginning is a very practical country with a limited land and resources. Therefore, I think the goverment does not want to inundate Singapore with people from their 75 although legally they are eligible to stay in Singapore because they marry Singaporean but from the practical perspective, it does not contribute to Singapore.In addition, as you getting older you might also put more burden to Singapore healthcare system, plus Kleef in this case does not have CPF(medisave) that could be shown to Singapore government agencies as assurance. That`s why I suggest that the best option is to go back or relocate to UK with his wife, where the UK goverment point of view is diff from Singapore.

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9782
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: I am 75 can I get a long term sposal visa?

Postby ecureilx » Sat, 15 Jul 2017 11:25 am

lee85 wrote:
ecureilx wrote:
lee85 wrote:Having a work pass is certainly desirable in your case. And I agree with the previous post that said no matter what in 1 year your stay CANNOT be more than 183 days. Maybe you could have a plan B, like relocate with your wife to UK instead of Singapore. I know that european countries are usually more lenient and not so mercenary like Singapore plus they have a lot more welfares than here in Singapore. So yeah maybe you can start to think of having an option B.

A work pass at 75 ? Got ?

On the other hand Singapore should consider his LTVP as his spouse ls SGn


I understand that in ideal scenario Singapore should consider his LTVP as his spouse is Singaporean. However, as I mentioned previously, Singapore from the very beginning is a very practical country with a limited land and resources. Therefore, I think the goverment does not want to inundate Singapore with people from their 75 although legally they are eligible to stay in Singapore because they marry Singaporean but from the practical perspective, it does not contribute to Singapore.In addition, as you getting older you might also put more burden to Singapore healthcare system, plus Kleef in this case does not have CPF(medisave) that could be shown to Singapore government agencies as assurance. That`s why I suggest that the best option is to go back or relocate to UK with his wife, where the UK goverment point of view is diff from Singapore.


Yeah... But.. I ah never mind.

Medisave or not, the SC spouse has the right to appeal.

Unless you Sir dont want older folks crowding Singapore even when they are married to Citizens



sundaymorningstaple wrote:
ecureilx wrote:On the other hand Singapore should consider his LTVP as his spouse ls SGn


"I applied for a long stay visa after arrival in April, but it was 'not authorized' - no reason given."


So why can't the wife appeal ?


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest