Singapore Expats

Allowed to bring guests over?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
chill91

Allowed to bring guests over?

Post by chill91 » Wed, 05 Jul 2017 9:29 am

Hi.
Im currently renting a room. The tenancy agreement is silent as to whether I am allowed to bring overnight guests over.

I am wondering what is the default position on this?
As I understand in Australia there is a standard supplementary tenancy agreement contract which is effective in event that the main tenancy agreement is silent. Is there an equivalent to this in Singapore?

Thanks.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Allowed to bring guests over?

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 05 Jul 2017 9:50 am

chill91 wrote:Hi.
Im currently renting a room. The tenancy agreement is silent as to whether I am allowed to bring overnight guests over.

I am wondering what is the default position on this?
As I understand in Australia there is a standard supplementary tenancy agreement contract which is effective in event that the main tenancy agreement is silent. Is there an equivalent to this in Singapore?

Thanks.
You need to ask your landlord but doing so means he/she may decline permission. IMO a few nights is probably ok but if there is a cost impact (aircon) or infringement on the peace and quiet of others you will have an issue. Also note that Singaporeans are very concerned about having illegal immigrants staying in their residences; you may want to get a copy of your friends passport/visa/SVP/ep ready to assure the landlord that your friend has a valid visa.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

brian_singapore
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by brian_singapore » Wed, 05 Jul 2017 1:06 pm

Are there clauses similar to the following in your lease (apologies, don't have mine to hand so can't reference the proper wording)?
1) Quiet Enjoyment; the landlord will give you quiet enjoyment of the premises; roughly means they agree not to interfere with intended use of the establishment
2) Not cause issues to others - i.e. usually says something along the lines will not do anything that you ought to know will cause annoyance to others or cause them to lodge a complaint.

Other's here can give you better insight into the breadth and depth of meaning of these 2 clauses but taken together I believe mean as long as you make normal use of the premises and don't do anything you *should* know would cause a complaint your in the clear....

I had an argument with the landlord's agent after a neighbor complained about my cousins children making noise in the hallway when they stayed with us while they waited for the elevator (the neighbor also left their door open with only the gate closed).

He raised the complaint under the second clause and asked that we have them stay somewhere else. He relented when I pointed out the first clause and that the kids were just being kids and were not miss-behaving (i.e. they weren't yelling, playing with toys or arguing / fighting).

In the case of staying in a room in a condo-unit, really not sure how the above would apply if your guests were subject of a complaint from other members renting other rooms in the unit. (I take it from your post your rending a room in a shared condo/apartment, not your own apartment).

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 05 Jul 2017 2:09 pm

It is about what is customary in a typical usage of a rented room/flat so the agent's remark is irrelevant as of saying to send your guests somewhere else. It is customary to have guests (unless said differently in the TA). Whether they make noise or not is not connected with them staying, but with the fact they are noisy. They could stay for some time, but they should be more considerate.

What is NOT customary is to significantly affects other tenants. This may include:
- higher maintenance costs,
- more noise,
- more crowded place,
- more difficult access to facilities (kitchen etc etc).
This happen if the visitors stay longer.

How long is too long is of course relative but this depends on the form of lease and obviously the visitors. For example, If I rent the whole apartment it would be IMHO customary to have some visitors (ie. my parents) for up to a few months. It's nobody's business. If they would stay for a year or any longer period, then one may argue they significantly contribute to the wear and tear of the apartment.

If the tenant is of the shared flat, this period surely would be much shorter. A few weeks maximum, more likely a week or a few days.

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, just using some common sense.