Singapore Expats

How much chance to apply full citizenship if a male PR married to Singapore woman?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
phowhoang

How much chance to apply full citizenship if a male PR married to Singapore woman?

Post by phowhoang » Sat, 01 Jul 2017 5:01 pm

A male PR in Singapore married a Singapore woman, he has 2500$ job now then how long and how much chance he can apply full citizenship successfully in Singapore? He has lived in SG for 6 years.

Got a bachelor degree, second honor and a job at media industry.

If he gonna has a baby with his wife, the kid can be Singaporean directly? or has to apply for PR?

jamie9vardy
Chatter
Chatter

Post by jamie9vardy » Sat, 01 Jul 2017 5:43 pm

phowhoang wrote:A male PR in Singapore married a Singapore woman, he has 2500$ job now then how long and how much chance he can apply full citizenship successfully in Singapore? He has lived in SG for 6 years.

If he gonna has a baby with his wife, the kid can be Singaporean directly? or has to apply for PR?
How long have you been a PR and how did you acquire your PR, i.e. PTS or family tie scheme? How long have you been married?

As it stands, it will take 6-9 months for the interview/document submission once you submit your application via e-SC. Thereafter it takes 6-12 months for the outcome, in some cases it may take longer.

The baby will be a Singaporean if born in Singapore as one of the parents is a Singaporean. If born overseas, will need to go through application process.
Last edited by jamie9vardy on Sat, 01 Jul 2017 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: How much chance to apply full citizenship if a male PR married to Singapore woman?

Post by ecureilx » Sat, 01 Jul 2017 5:53 pm

phowhoang wrote: If he gonna has a baby with his wife, the kid can be Singaporean directly? or has to apply for PR?
since mother is SC, I thought child can get SC, if delivered in Singapore.

How long have you been married ?

phowhoang

Re: How much chance to apply full citizenship if a male PR married to Singapore woman?

Post by phowhoang » Sat, 01 Jul 2017 7:08 pm

jamie9vardy wrote:
phowhoang wrote:A male PR in Singapore married a Singapore woman, he has 2500$ job now then how long and how much chance he can apply full citizenship successfully in Singapore? He has lived in SG for 6 years.

How long have you been a PR and how did you acquire your PR, i.e. PTS or family tie scheme? How long have you been married?

As it stands, it will take 6-9 months for the interview/document submission once you submit your application via e-SC. Thereafter it takes 6-12 months for the outcome, in some cases it may take longer.

The baby will be a Singaporean if born in Singapore as one of the parents is a Singaporean. If born overseas, will need to go through application process.
Thank you for answering, i has been married for 1 year, and i'm going to have a baby with my wife soon, maybe early next year. I applied PR successfully before marriage 6 months in PTS not family tie. And my race is not Chinese, Indian or Western at all.

phowhoang

Post by phowhoang » Sat, 01 Jul 2017 7:09 pm

ecureilx wrote:
phowhoang wrote: If he gonna has a baby with his wife, the kid can be Singaporean directly? or has to apply for PR?
since mother is SC, I thought child can get SC, if delivered in Singapore.

How long have you been married ?
thank you for answering, i has been married for 1 year

jamie9vardy
Chatter
Chatter

Post by jamie9vardy » Sat, 01 Jul 2017 7:15 pm

phowhoang wrote:Thank you for answering, i has been married for 1 year, and i'm going to have a baby with my wife soon, maybe early next year. I applied PR successfully before marriage 6 months in PTS not family tie. And my race is not Chinese, Indian or Western at all.
Either PTS or family tie scheme, you'll need to be PR for at least 2 years before you can apply for SC. If you are taking the spousal route, you need to be married for at least 2 years as well.

phowhoang

Post by phowhoang » Sat, 01 Jul 2017 7:20 pm

jamie9vardy wrote:
phowhoang wrote:Thank you for answering, i has been married for 1 year, and i'm going to have a baby with my wife soon, maybe early next year. I applied PR successfully before marriage 6 months in PTS not family tie. And my race is not Chinese, Indian or Western at all.
Either PTS or family tie scheme, you'll need to be PR for at least 2 years before you can apply for SC. If you are taking the spousal route, you need to be married for at least 2 years as well.
Thank you, actually i'm just curious about my chance, i'm not going to apply soon, since my salary has been reduce, 30k per year is quite low in here, but media industry in SG not too much productive, and i cannot find another better solution here soon, so just wonder how much chance i can, actually i really want to have a kid soon, if kid is boy, i really want him serve for NS.

jamie9vardy
Chatter
Chatter

Post by jamie9vardy » Sat, 01 Jul 2017 7:27 pm

phowhoang wrote:Thank you, actually i'm just curious about my chance, i'm not going to apply soon, since my salary has been reduce, 30k per year is quite low in here, but media industry in SG not too much productive, and i cannot find another better solution here soon, so just wonder how much chance i can, actually i really want to have a kid soon, if kid is boy, i really want him serve for NS.
Agreed. You may want to work on increasing your income. Is your wife in employment too? The authorities may look at household income but I can't be sure.

NS is a certainty. The boy will need to serve as he'll be a Singaporean or even as a second generation PR.

phowhoang

Post by phowhoang » Sat, 01 Jul 2017 7:35 pm

jamie9vardy wrote:
phowhoang wrote:Thank you, actually i'm just curious about my chance, i'm not going to apply soon, since my salary has been reduce, 30k per year is quite low in here, but media industry in SG not too much productive, and i cannot find another better solution here soon, so just wonder how much chance i can, actually i really want to have a kid soon, if kid is boy, i really want him serve for NS.
Agreed. You may want to work on increasing your income. Is your wife in employment too? The authorities may look at household income but I can't be sure.

NS is a certainty. The boy will need to serve as he'll be a Singaporean or even as a second generation PR.
Yes, she works in media industry as well, and her salary is nearly same like mine. We want to have a kid soon cause we really want to buy a HDB flat asap, like if having a stable place to live is increasing the chance?

jamie9vardy
Chatter
Chatter

Post by jamie9vardy » Sat, 01 Jul 2017 7:58 pm

phowhoang wrote:Yes, she works in media industry as well, and her salary is nearly same like mine. We want to have a kid soon cause we really want to buy a HDB flat asap, like if having a stable place to live is increasing the chance?
Okay, you don't have to have a kid to be eligible for a HDB flat. Neither do both of you need to be SC to qualify for HDB.

As far as I know, having a HDB or even condo has very little to zero bearing on the chances of success.

Don't worry too much. Work on improving your career and income. Clock your mileage in Singapore, i.e. longer stay as a PR and in marriage will certainly not harm your chances.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sat, 01 Jul 2017 8:00 pm

No, your home does not count but having children should count (Singapore uses migration to boost her population).
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

phowhoang

Post by phowhoang » Sat, 01 Jul 2017 8:23 pm

ohh, btw thank for these replies, at least they really encourage me. Even from my start, my wife could have a lot of choices in SG "if u guys know what i mean", but after all she really wants us can build a great marriage after all, a lot of struggles happened in past and really affect me want to stay living in here or not.

The SC for me is really big achievement if i can get, cause i really love living in here, and really want to have a commitment, a serious contribution for this country.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 01 Jul 2017 9:14 pm

As the mother is a Singaporean Citizen, if she delivers the child in Singapore, that child will be a Singaporean citizen by virtue of birth. With that comes all the roses and thorns that goes with that. If it's a male child, it will automatically be eligible and must do, national service.

As you are a PR, you can apply with your wife for an HDB Flat (maybe resale at this point in time - or maybe she can, if working, apply later with the child forming the family nucleus (you would need to go to the HDB site and look at the eligibility options available to you at that time. If you have a child and both of your names are on the birth certificate, then you need to keep plugging away at the SC application. You will probably get it, but it may still take you several tries. There is a good chance you will get it before your child (if a Male) turns 11 as the government would possibly loose a bodycount in NS if you were to up stakes and move back to your own country and taking the child with you (assuming the child was born here and also acquired your citizenship by virtue of you being the father (depending on the rules for citizenship acquisition in your home country). That is a good thing to have especially in today biased immigration policies here in Sg. But you would have to make that decision and it would be permanent and you would also have to give up your PR in order for the removal of the child to be accepted (for purposes of avoiding NS without penalty). This might make is difficult where your wife is concerned though so you must think carefully.

Whatever you do, do NOT wait till the last minute to make a plan B. You don't need to act on it, but you need to be fully aware where the trip wires are located. Good Luck.

Honestly I feel you will eventually receive your SC after your wife has a child. But, as noted already, you will need to be married at least two years at the time of making the initial application. Having a child by then will also be a plus factor for sure. Buying an HDB flat is a nil factor as has already been pointed out. Finding ways to have a higher income is imperative. The figure for the sponsor (your wife if you married on the Family Ties Scheme) will have to be in the neighbourhood of 4.5~5K/mo the last I heard (but we cannot verify those figures).
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers