Singapore Expats

Animal Cruelty

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Animal Cruelty

Post by Guest » Sat, 12 Feb 2005 12:30 am

Animal Cruelty

On New Year's eve while I was returning home, I passed by a bus stop at Tampines and a group of rowdy Malays punks-wanna were gathering at the bus stop...as I walked by them, I realised they were actually throwing football at an injured crow! You could imagine how angry I was at that point of time! As I walked nearer to them, they actually dared to kick the crow out to the middle of the road waiting for some vehicles to run the crow over! I immediately ran up and shouted at them saying I'm calling the police and took out my ditigal camera attempting to take photos of them....they fled immediately and my friend and I took the crow under a void deck away from the Malays and that's all I could do...

On New Year Day itself, was visiting my grandma at bedok and I saw another Malay teen with his brother attacking an injured pigeon....I was so pissed off I just walked over and kicked that darn football away from them and took the pigeon away!

This happened twice in 2 consecutive days and I'm really disguested by the behaviour...why bully and take advantage of something which is obviously weaker and have no ability to defend themselves? I'm totally appalled and digusted by how uncompassionate these people are...

Post by Guest » Sat, 12 Feb 2005 2:46 am

this post sort of reminds me of my father- every now and again back where I'm from he'd get cut off on the road by a car, and he would notice it's an asian person. Or an asian person would step in front of his car & he would almost hit the person.

His first comment out of his mouth would me "that vietnamese...."
(and this is no disrespect to vietnamese - I absolutely love pho^ (vietnamese noodles) - very yummy!).

My point is, in a district which is multicultural, and has many asians from a number of different countries my father generalises everyone he sees is vietnamese. He knows no different - and partly it's is pre-conceived ideas about Vietnamese which is unfounded.

And as for pet cruelty - you'll find that no country holds the monopoly on this one, sadly.

hypocrite

Re: Animal Cruelty

Post by hypocrite » Sun, 13 Feb 2005 5:57 am

Anonymous wrote:Animal Cruelty

On New Year's eve while I was returning home, I passed by a bus stop at Tampines and a group of rowdy Malays punks-wanna were gathering at the bus stop...as I walked by them, I realised they were actually throwing football at an injured crow! You could imagine how angry I was at that point of time! As I walked nearer to them, they actually dared to kick the crow out to the middle of the road waiting for some vehicles to run the crow over! I immediately ran up and shouted at them saying I'm calling the police and took out my ditigal camera attempting to take photos of them....they fled immediately and my friend and I took the crow under a void deck away from the Malays and that's all I could do...

On New Year Day itself, was visiting my grandma at bedok and I saw another Malay teen with his brother attacking an injured pigeon....I was so pissed off I just walked over and kicked that darn football away from them and took the pigeon away!

This happened twice in 2 consecutive days and I'm really disguested by the behaviour...why bully and take advantage of something which is obviously weaker and have no ability to defend themselves? I'm totally appalled and digusted by how uncompassionate these people are...
You sound like a right hypocrite to me. cruelty to animals is not okay but to humans it is okay. I say cruelty to everyone and everything is SIN.

Post by Guest » Sun, 13 Feb 2005 7:43 am

What about the ants and beetles you squash when you walk on them eh? Perhaps you should spout wings?

Yes, cruelty is wrong, but are you vegetarian? And anyway, how do you know that vegetables don't feel pain when you cut them?

Yep, the world is crazy.

Post by Guest » Sun, 13 Feb 2005 11:07 am

Anonymous wrote: how do you know that vegetables don't feel pain when you cut them?
Pain - is detected by various nerve-endings & can be responded to sub-consciously (as in the case of a reflex, eg when you burn your finger on stove you pull away without thinking), as well as consciously (you feel and perceive the pain).

The latter usually requires pain information to be delivered to a brain (or equivalent)

I'm not aware of any fruit or vegetable that contains either nerves or an equivalent to a "brain".... are you...?

But I guess, you weren't really serious in your remark.

Post by Guest » Mon, 14 Feb 2005 5:28 am

Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote: how do you know that vegetables don't feel pain when you cut them?
Pain - is detected by various nerve-endings & can be responded to sub-consciously (as in the case of a reflex, eg when you burn your finger on stove you pull away without thinking), as well as consciously (you feel and perceive the pain).

The latter usually requires pain information to be delivered to a brain (or equivalent)

I'm not aware of any fruit or vegetable that contains either nerves or an equivalent to a "brain".... are you...?

But I guess, you weren't really serious in your remark.
then live on air and don't eat anything. i am a budhist and i don't like to hurt anyhing or anyone.

milo

Post by milo » Fri, 18 Feb 2005 9:01 pm

A crow, pigeon isn't quite the same as a vegetable. It is sad to hear stories like this. It's just kids being kids unfortunately, at that age they don't know any better. :(

Depressed

Post by Depressed » Fri, 18 Feb 2005 9:06 pm

Pease stop animal cruelty.i have a video clip to share with you guys ,NOT FOR THE FAINT HEARTED.

WARNING: Very cruel and inhumane acts depicted inside.DO NOT VIEW IF YOU CANNOT STAND GROSS IMAGES.

http://my.so-net.net.tw/sirwang/fur.wmv

Pls stop fur buying foward this clip to those who loves fur collection..It will make them think twice for buying them again.

PS;I sincerly wish that the ppl involved in this trade could die the same way they treat the animals.