Singapore Expats

Warning: Behave

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Fri, 08 Aug 2008 5:36 pm

Currymeister wrote:
Vaucluse wrote:You and sierramadre are the only ones to think so, get a sense of humour or your life will continue to be as bland as it undoubtedly has been up to now.

Keep smiling, curryman
I don't think you're bright enough to understand so let me reiterate...

Which part of the slur 'Arrogant pratt' do you think contains humour?

You bum chums will obviously back you up, and the rest just ignore you.
So calling me a twat is ok is it?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 08 Aug 2008 5:45 pm

Currymeister wrote:I think you'll find there was a racial slur made on the Security guard at the cote D'Azure thread - unless you don't think Arrogant Whitey is a racial slur??
I sure don't think it is and obviously neither do the bulk of regulars here. I do, however, think it's a pretty apt description. As the actual nationality of the person on the other end of the description (the one being described - trying to make it easy for you) is not actually known as this is a forum and the person was being decidedly "arrogant" then arrogant whitey is just an apt description. Nothing racial there at all. Now if that person had said ALL Whities are Arrogant SOB's" you could consider that racial slur. I suggest you look up the meaning of racist and racial epitaphs so you don't continue to look like a fool here.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Fri, 08 Aug 2008 5:49 pm

Saint wrote:
Currymeister wrote:
Vaucluse wrote:You and sierramadre are the only ones to think so, get a sense of humour or your life will continue to be as bland as it undoubtedly has been up to now.

Keep smiling, curryman

Plus you are obviously my bum chum . . . should we tell oru wives . . . ? SMS, are you in?

The six of us should make quite a minestrone . . . :lol:

'nuff said Image

Currymeister
Regular
Regular

Post by Currymeister » Fri, 08 Aug 2008 6:18 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Currymeister wrote:I think you'll find there was a racial slur made on the Security guard at the cote D'Azure thread - unless you don't think Arrogant Whitey is a racial slur??
I sure don't think it is and obviously neither do the bulk of regulars here. I do, however, think it's a pretty apt description. As the actual nationality of the person on the other end of the description (the one being described - trying to make it easy for you) is not actually known as this is a forum and the person was being decidedly "arrogant" then arrogant whitey is just an apt description. Nothing racial there at all. Now if that person had said ALL Whities are Arrogant SOB's" you could consider that racial slur. I suggest you look up the meaning of racist and racial epitaphs so you don't continue to look like a fool here.
SMS - you haven't a clue chap. So singling one person out with a racial slur is okay, just don't tarnish the whole race?

Do you listen to yourself or do you press send before brain engages?

Currymeister
Regular
Regular

Post by Currymeister » Fri, 08 Aug 2008 6:28 pm

Saint wrote:
Currymeister wrote:

Keep smiling, curryman

I didn't say I was being witty when i said it. Wake up Saint and get with the program.

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Fri, 08 Aug 2008 6:39 pm

Currymeister wrote:
Saint wrote:
Currymeister wrote: I don't think you're bright enough to understand so let me reiterate...

I didn't say I was being witty when i said it. Wake up Saint and get with the program.
You really don't get it do you, there I was, in a light hearted way, trying to warn you that you barking up the wrong tree and starting to embarrass yourself with some of comments and that you were totally miss reading postings.

Why don't you grow up and just admit you got it wrong

Currymeister
Regular
Regular

Post by Currymeister » Fri, 08 Aug 2008 6:52 pm

Saint wrote:
Currymeister wrote:
Saint wrote: So calling me a twat is ok is it?
You really don't get it do you, there I was, in a light hearted way, trying to warn you that you barking up the wrong tree and starting to embarrass yourself with some of comments and that you were totally miss reading postings.

What did I get wrong? Missread the hillarious posts from goldielocks and the three bears?

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Post by sierra2469alpha » Fri, 08 Aug 2008 7:07 pm

deleted
Last edited by sierra2469alpha on Sat, 09 Aug 2008 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Sat, 09 Aug 2008 5:01 am

Currymeister wrote:
Saint wrote:
Currymeister wrote: I didn't say I was being witty when i said it. Wake up Saint and get with the program.

What did I get wrong? Missread the hillarious posts from goldielocks and the three bears?
I'm so so glad that I wont be attending one of your "locals not welcome" get togethers!

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Post by sierra2469alpha » Sat, 09 Aug 2008 9:19 am

Hey Saint, just for the record, my husband and I were never involved in any of those. Tks, C

Currymeister
Regular
Regular

Post by Currymeister » Sat, 09 Aug 2008 12:44 pm

Saint wrote:
I'm so so glad that I wont be attending one of your "locals not welcome" get togethers!
I think you'll find that an expat get together (where locals are welcome) to talk and share similar experiences in our wonderful adopted land is very different from 'locals not welcome' - really strange how a grown up man can't understand that.

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Sat, 09 Aug 2008 3:52 pm

Gilly wrote:I think we should take SMS's advice. A separate area would be good but it would take a lot of moderating. It has been done sms, I know of an expat forum that does work, but the country doesn't have so many desperate locals to try and keep out.

So we could use this thread as our base? Until it gets too big )

So let's start a monthly meet-up. EXPATS ONLY.

Sorry local folk, it's not about racism? religion? favouritism? or anything like that, it's just a supportive group for like minded people, everyone has them...women, mothers, widows, AA's.

This one is for expats.

Shall we have our first meet-up this weekend?

Unless the majority suggests otherwise let's start mid afternoon (3pm) and carry on into evening. People can come and go all day/night - whatever time suits. Die hards can go on all day/night if they want.

I'm happy to do the early shift, the welcome party so to speak!

Let's see who's up for that, then we can arrange a venue depending on numbers.

Looking forward to it!!

So please add your names in a reply.

Please state name and country of origin.
Says it all really :roll:

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Sat, 09 Aug 2008 6:09 pm

it's just a supportive group for like minded people,
I doubt you and I are in any way like-minded . . . excluding locals? Jesus, Mary and Joseph! (Apologies (twice), WIMH)

No offense intended but that is a completely silly idea . . . and what is with the country of origin bit? Is it going to be a rugby match (England will lose).

'nuff said Image

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Post by Wind In My Hair » Sat, 09 Aug 2008 10:31 pm

Vaucluse wrote:I doubt you and I are in any way like-minded . . . excluding locals? Jesus, Mary and Joseph! (Apologies (twice), WIMH)
Hey, I'm not the Pope, and even if I were you don't need to apologise.

Since I've been dragged into this, my personal view is that it's fine to have an exclusive gathering. I can understand maladjusted expats wanting to share experiences and vent frustrations of living in Singapore and rant about locals. The polite thing though, if you're not planning to invite someone, is to refrain from extending the invitation in their presence. I would discreetly contact only those I wanted to invite and let them know the theme so they would also know not to mention it to those not invited.

So the way I see it, the issue is not one of racism (though the post by Gilly, whoever that is, referring to 'desperate locals' does smack of that) but of manners. Diplomacy seems to be a dying art.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Sun, 10 Aug 2008 11:17 am

You're not a septuagenarian German male? :o

'nuff said Image